Finasteride Works Definitely Worth Trying If You’re Concerned With Hair Loss

otis mcdonald

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve been on it for a year now and over the last couple of months I’ve notice a slight thickening at the front of my head that was thinning I’ve also not lost anymore ground.

I’m 32 norwood 2/2.5 with thinning in Norwood 3/3.5 pattern. I first had people mentioning that my hair was receding when I was about 27 so it definitely was happening. I also have cousins who are norwood 4/5 in there mid twenties.

I was damn nervous before starting and came of it on 3 separate occasions as I felt it was making me feel a bit odd. However I looked in the mirror one day and thought ‘if I don’t do anything I’m going to have to shave my head within 2/3 years max’. I have head lumps caused by ingrowing hair so nobody would want to see that.

Anyway to get to the point if you’ve still got some hair but your fairly sure you’re balding get on it ASAP

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So it took 9-10 months before you knew it was helping.

I've been on it four months and it's killing me to know whether or not it's doing any good.

otis mcdonald

My Regimen
Reaction score

I've been on it four months and it's killing me to know whether or not it's doing any good.

Yup. For the first 7 months I was taking a 0.5 dose and decided to go up to 1mg because I thought that it wasn’t working. Literally over the last 6 weeks I’ve noticed that it’s working.

It’s not a big difference but when I look and feel my hair I think ‘oh my hair looks pretty okay and feels kinda nice at the moment’ for me that’s evidence that it’s working because there’s no way I’d be thinking that 1 year later if I hadn’t taken it considering I was significantly thinning and had been for a few years

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yup. For the first 7 months I was taking a 0.5 dose and decided to go up to 1mg because I thought that it wasn’t working. Literally over the last 6 weeks I’ve noticed that it’s working.

It’s not a big difference but when I look and feel my hair I think ‘oh my hair looks pretty okay and feels kinda nice at the moment’ for me that’s evidence that it’s working because there’s no way I’d be thinking that 1 year later if I hadn’t taken it considering I was significantly thinning and had been for a few years

Do you think the increased dosage made any difference?

otis mcdonald

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you think the increased dosage made any difference?

It’s hard to say. I did have a psychological effect though as most of the finasteride studies have been with 1mg and even though 0.5 is probably nearly as effective part of me did worry that maybe it wasn’t.

Didn’t notice increased sides so definitely recommend going for the full dose.

otis mcdonald

My Regimen
Reaction score
What sides did u have? Thanks

I had ball ache which lasted a few weeks then went. I also felt like I was suffering from brain fog and mild depression.

However at that time I was on a very strict low carb diet because I have gyno and I was worried that being a bit overweight and taking finasteride might exacerbate it so I wanted to be lean.

When I came off the diet I felt normal again so I’m fairly sure it was that. I now have been sides free for maybe 9/10 months. No increase in gyno and no brain fog or depression.

GreenEggs

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had ball ache which lasted a few weeks then went. I also felt like I was suffering from brain fog and mild depression.

However at that time I was on a very strict low carb diet because I have gyno and I was worried that being a bit overweight and taking finasteride might exacerbate it so I wanted to be lean.

When I came off the diet I felt normal again so I’m fairly sure it was that. I now have been sides free for maybe 9/10 months. No increase in gyno and no brain fog or depression.

Did you have gyno before finasteride? Also what do you mean exactly by gyno, swelling/puffy nipples and tenderness or just from natural weight gain?
The reason I ask is because I read a post you made a while back when you started that finasteride was maybe giving you some chest pains.

otis mcdonald

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you have gyno before finasteride? Also what do you mean exactly by gyno, swelling/puffy nipples and tenderness or just from natural weight gain?
The reason I ask is because I read a post you made a while back when you started that finasteride was maybe giving you some chest pains.

I’ve now been on Finasteride for about 18 months. No side effects my hair is maybe about the same as when I started. It’s kinda hard to tell tbh- all I know is it’s not significantly better or worse.

I’ve had gyno since I was a teenager and it hasn’t made anything worse. I have the tissue underneath the nipples etc and I was concerned that it would get worse but they haven’t.

Finasteride has been great tbh. Sure I haven’t had any real improvements but it’s so nice know longer worrying about my hair. Best decision I could have made

justbeconfident

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Im taking finasteride for ~2 months now and so far no results at all, im still losing insane amounts of hair and my libidy increased, so maybe i have reverse effects and to cope with 5-AR inhibition my body started to pump even more DHT into the blood.

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Im taking finasteride for ~2 months now and so far no results at all, im still losing insane amounts of hair and my libidy increased, so maybe i have reverse effects and to cope with 5-AR inhibition my body started to pump even more DHT into the blood.

When you start finasteride you’ll shed heavily for 2-3 months - most do (I did) . Keep an eye on your libido as it should calm down . It’s very rare to have upregulated ARs .

GreenEggs

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve now been on Finasteride for about 18 months. No side effects my hair is maybe about the same as when I started. It’s kinda hard to tell tbh- all I know is it’s not significantly better or worse.

I’ve had gyno since I was a teenager and it hasn’t made anything worse. I have the tissue underneath the nipples etc and I was concerned that it would get worse but they haven’t.

Finasteride has been great tbh. Sure I haven’t had any real improvements but it’s so nice know longer worrying about my hair. Best decision I could have made

That’s really good to hear that it stopped you worrying about hairloss and you’ve had no sides, it makes me think more positively about trying it out again.

Last time I tried it I had no sides except I had an ache in my chest, in the walls of my chest maybe more specifically. I wasn’t sure if it was finasteride so I stopped taking it anyway.

I am trying it again starting tonight at a low dose, wish me luck!