Finasteride Vs Dutasteride, What's Best?

helloimhere

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi
For the past 4 or 5 months I have been taking Finasteride 1mg every night. I have made progress but not as much as I would like.
Since my 6 month supply is almost out, I was wondering about Dutasteride and whether it is worth purchasing this instead of more Finasteride.
I'd be taking 0.5mg Dutasteride daily. I am worried about shedding if I switch to Dutasteride, but I'm OK with it if I'm going to get better results in the long term.
So my questions are:
  • Is Dutasteride (0.5mg daily) better than Finasteride (1mg daily)?
  • Should I spend more money on Dutasteride (2.5mg)?
  • How should I take Dutasteride? Is 0.5mg enough daily, or should I take 2.5mg... or 0.5mg every other day?
  • Will I notice shedding if I were to switch?

N003

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
5 months on finasteride is to early to see an end result. It can take 6-12 months.
If you are not happy after 12 months THEN is dustaride an alternative.

helloimhere

My Regimen
Reaction score
5 months on finasteride is to early to see an end result. It can take 6-12 months.
If you are not happy after 12 months THEN is dustaride an alternative.
I'll be buying more tablets anyway and Dutasteride isn't too much more. I think I'll buy some and start using it instead of finasteride. I have quite high T levels I think, so I haven't noticed any side effects at all from Finasteride. I'll probably just take 0.5mg dutasteride daily from now on.

N003

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'll be buying more tablets anyway and Dutasteride isn't too much more. I think I'll buy some and start using it instead of finasteride. I have quite high T levels I think, so I haven't noticed any side effects at all from Finasteride. I'll probably just take 0.5mg dutasteride daily from now on.

It's your life, i would stay on finasteride for +/- 6 months. After 12 months you can be sure if finasteride works fine for you or not.

Dutasteride is a much harder drug then finasteride.

helloimhere

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's your life, i would stay on finasteride for +/- 6 months. After 12 months you can be sure if finasteride works fine for you or not.

Dutasteride is a much harder drug then finasteride.
So that means I will notice better results using Dutasteride in comparison with my current Finasteride. Right?

SaitamaSensei

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Bro, some people overexaggurate dutasteride, you will be underwhelmed by the results. You need to be on extreme regimes to see reduction in drive, muscle etc. Even there are people with extreme regimes see no side effects to the extent that it affects their life in an unpositive way.

N003

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So that means I will notice better results using Dutasteride in comparison with my current Finasteride. Right?

No, i would just stay on finasteride for 6 months more! I'm at month 4 and i will take finasteride for 12 months. If there is a good result, fine if not i will switch.

You must give finasteride time.....many user (the most) will see first results after 12 months.

helloimhere

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you. I am going to soon purchase Dutasteride 0.5mg and take it daily instead of Finasteride.
Do you know of any good online vendors?

coalfire

My Regimen
Reaction score
If finasteride works you know it quickly ... 6 months is enough to draw a conclusion on its efficacy.
Try something stronger, like dutasteride every 2 or 3 days. If it doesnt work, try everyday ... and twice a day.
But don't wait too long. If it works, it's works in a matter of weeks or maybe months, but not a year. Do not waste time believing it will work if it hasn't work after 5 months. Time is our enemy, false hope too.

By 'Working' what do you mean, are we talking about a slow down in hair loss or regrowth?

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
If finasteride works you know it quickly ... 6 months is enough to draw a conclusion on its efficacy.

I noticed my initial finasteride gains at about 7 months, so I would say more time is needed

g.i joey

Reaction score
Try something stronger, like dutasteride every 2 or 3 days. If it doesnt work, try everyday ... and twice a day.
But don't wait too long. If it works, it's works in a matter of weeks or maybe months, but not a year. Do not waste time believing it will work if it hasn't work after 5 months. Time is our enemy, false hope too.

That's discouraging to hear, in a little more than 2 weeks away from hitting 9 months and all I could see is maintenance, if not super slow regression

SpaceInvader

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Some people take both at the same time. There's another thread on here where the OP mentioned he had only been on both of them for three weeks and started seeing results. He was on minoxidil prior to that. So it could be that if you combine it with something and really go nuclear, the effects would be synergistic.

GiveMeAccessToMyAccount

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
To aggressive hair loss sufferers like myself who started balding young, we have high T levels I think (I have no proof to back this up), so I think high T levels = more DHT conversion, therefore finasteride won't do much for us but maybe slow down hair loss or halt it and we will probably not experience side effects, I never have and I have been on finasteride since Feb 2016 (along with minoxidil). It's very possible that dutasteride for us high T level guys would work as well as finasteride does to good responders (those finasteride users that get better results than average). I took dutasteride for 6 months, years ago, and I can tell you for sure it gave me regrowth, it was obviously better than finasteride I remember, I even showed my brother the before and after pics and I don't like to show him any of that stuff. Why did I stop? Why am I not on it if it worked? Because when I used it I was a broke *** college student who really couldn't afford it to begin with and I could not sustain using it, it was generic and from online so it's not like it was paid for like my finasteride. Why am I not on it now, well because finasteride stopped my hair loss + laziness of buying dutasteride. But to be honest with you i'm probably gonna buy it soon, i'm gonna add some things in my regimen, like dutasteride, spironolactone, and i'm thinking about RU as well.

jbrad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you. I am going to soon purchase Dutasteride 0.5mg and take it daily instead of Finasteride.
Do you know of any good online vendors?

I've been using these guys for 10 months now: [REDACTED AUSTRALIAN SITE NAME] for finasteride, I'm not sure if they also sell dutasteride. sorta seeing results...

Last edited by a moderator:

coolhandlucast

Reaction score
I have been on 0.5mg dutasteride for 10 months and the front inch has taken a hit, it would seem I've lost any finasteride gains I made. Reduced the dose to 0.5mg everyother day a month ago and it's slightly better. Am considering dropping dutasteride and getting back on finasteride, whilst I had patchy areas on finasteride the front was much better. Tried avodart 0.5 a couple of years ago too but stopped with fimilar response to the front, got back on finasteride and it nearly all grew back but I had seborrheic dermatitis on finasteride so dropped and got back on avodart, it's making me think the test rise on dutasteride for me is too much.

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
Some people respond better to Finasteride and some to Duasteride. It is most likely genetics. I would prefer to wait for clinical trials for hair loss for Duasteride (if they come) before taking it. This will give us information to reference, the best dosage, etc. as opposed to depending on second hand experiences from online forums which are very unreliable.

abcdefg

Reaction score
I have been on 0.5mg dutasteride for 10 months and the front inch has taken a hit, it would seem I've lost any finasteride gains I made. Reduced the dose to 0.5mg everyother day a month ago and it's slightly better. Am considering dropping dutasteride and getting back on finasteride, whilst I had patchy areas on finasteride the front was much better. Tried avodart 0.5 a couple of years ago too but stopped with fimilar response to the front, got back on finasteride and it nearly all grew back but I had seborrheic dermatitis on finasteride so dropped and got back on avodart, it's making me think the test rise on dutasteride for me is too much.

Its always odd that the front would get worse on something like dutasteride. It certainly makes you wonder if testosterone alone can cause male pattern baldness all by itself doesnt it? You have no DHT left so it cant be that anymore.
You would think 30 years later we would know answer to such a basic question. You would be wrong!

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
Its always odd that the front would get worse on something like dutasteride. It certainly makes you wonder if testosterone alone can cause male pattern baldness all by itself doesnt it? You have no DHT left so it cant be that anymore.
You would think 30 years later we would know answer to such a basic question. You would be wrong!

The same person that said their front got worse said they got seborrheic dermatitis from Finasteride.