finasteride turning to a nightmare, please help

Artas

Established Member
Reaction score
I am extremely worried that I am suffering from one of the rare side effects of finasteride, as I have problem getting erections.

Here is my history... At the age of 16-17 I was on Saw Palmetto and Nettle root extract, I was unaware of the potential dangers so I was unsure whether or not I suffered from impotence back then, On my 18th (last June) birthday I started taking finasteride, I was worried about the side effects however over the 6 months I haven't had severe trouble... but now whenever I see a hot pic I don't get erections... I only do on the odd occasion. However when I was with a person I really like we had sex and I could maintain it for a long time, but I was on and off with Saw Palmetto so could that be the case?

The only other possibility it could be is because I am tired, worried or depressed... but I've not been like this since I started noticing this horrible side effect.

I am just so paranoid. Should I lower my dose? Should I quit Saw Palmetto? Should I spend a week or two off finasteride? Or will that cause me to lose all my hair?

Advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Artas

Established Member
Reaction score
^ I appreciate that, but about the possibilty of finasteride giving me this side effect... what should do?

Artas

Established Member
Reaction score
finfighter said:
Natwraggie said:
^ I appreciate that, but about the possibilty of finasteride giving me this side effect... what should do?

You could give Zinc a shot, see Endens thread- viewtopic.php?f=46&t=59803

Thank you...

If I stop taking finasteride, will it do any harm to my hair? I just want to know if finasteride is actually cuasing this side effect.

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The side effect you describe is common among those who suffer sides from finasteride, so I would think carefully about continuing...

Enden, despite his best efforts to persevere with the drug, has now dropped finasteride and is using RU instead. Zinc and other counter-active measures definitely do help with sides, but you won't feel 100% again until you actually drop finasteride completely.

There are plenty of other treatment options out there (finfighter's thread), especially for a young guy like you, so see how you go for the next few weeks, and if after that time you still have problems, get off finasteride because if you have started to develop sides at the 6month mark, it is almost certain that they will get worse not better.

Artas

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for replies =(

I just don't understand why it is me? I'm young, balding and finasteride is giving me sides... I'm meeting someone I really like on saturday... They may not be able to accept me going bald...

I could maintain it for a long time just a week ago... but for some reason I can't now, only on the odd occasion. I could try lowering the finasteride dose? I've dropped Saw Palmetto since it is probably unessacary. I just don't understand how I can be like really horny last week, yet this week nothing is happening.

I have been worrying a lot and been tired... but if I stop using finasteride for like a week or two and then go back on it, it won't mess my hair up will it?

Sorry I am being awkward I just don't think i deserve this at this age.

Prop

Established Member
Reaction score
Natwraggie said:
Thank you...

If I stop taking finasteride, will it do any harm to my hair? I just want to know if finasteride is actually cuasing this side effect.

stop finasteride
the risk is too big
choose another treatment

yayimbalding

Reaction score
I agree. Stop using finasteride. I tried so many different doses at different intervals and it all ends up the same way.

For like the 7th time in the past 5 months I could not get it up during sex and this time I am officially done. No matter how much Zinc or other vitamins I take, I still can't get it up during sex.

I was doing much better and all of a sudden it has gotten slightly worse again. I should have never tried for like the 5th time, last time I recovered on my own and was doing fine. I'm hoping I don't get PFS now.

It will only get worse.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
If a week ago you were fine and now you don't seem to be I'm not willing to immediately tell you to stop finasteride.

I would stop Saw Palmetto first. Stay constant on your finasteride (for now), and throw in 50mg of zinc per day, you can buy this at Walmart or wherever.

My personal suspicion is the combined use of saw palmetto with finasteride is enough to give you this side effect. Saw palmetto has never been used to restore anyone's hair as far as we know, but using too much of it has given people sexual side effects.

Artas

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok thank you for more advice... this morning I could get an erection quite easily. It is just during the day which I find difficult... I'll have wait until saturday when I meet this person and see what happens then. I'll stay on finasteride, but a lower dose and eliminate SP from my regime all together...

I will update this thread to let you know how I get on.

Meanwhile, is there any other oral treatment for hair loss which works in a similar proccess to finasteride?

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes, Dutasteride (see Finfighter's thread) is an oral treatment even more potent than finasteride, but if you get sides from finasteride then you'll almost definitely get sides from dutasteride also.

If you want something to add to your regimen in place of Saw Palmetto then I would say spironolactone or Revivogen would be useful.

However for now, it sounds like you should just stick with finasteride alone, as too much DHT suppression may be giving your system problems.

Artas

Established Member
Reaction score
Ugh... I just don't know what to do =(

If I stop finasteride my hair could shed rapidly... but if I continue it then I am doomed due to the sexual side effect... (which may not be caused by finasteride)...

What other anti-androgen can I buy from the UK which will not give me sides?? =(