Finasteride totally stopped working after four years.

iamyou

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm 22 now, I've been on finasteride since just before turning 18 (Thanks clinic that didn't ask my age! lol) I regained and maintained fantastically which I think is due to me catching it so early.

Four months ago or so I started losing hair again, and I brushed it off as an abnormally long shed. But it has persisted for months and there is a prominent recession on my hairline. I started taking RU a little over a month ago to repel this but to no avail. Any advice? Is it possible I built a tolerance to finasteride or that I somehow got a bad bottle? Are doctors allowed to prescribe placebos? I feel like it coincided with my most recent prescription refill.

Screenshot_20231119_152712_Discord.jpg

My hair about a year ago, maintained super well and came back from previous loss.
20231119_152050.jpg20231119_152122.jpg20231119_152143.jpg
This is me today, its been pretty crazy how much hair I loss whenever I run my hand through my head or while applying shampoo in the shower.

What should I do?

Avacado

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You could try adding to the regimen?

Throw in some minoxidil or upgrade to dutasteride?

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
The norwood Reaper finally catched up to you, jokes aside. But this is due to upregulation from the drug, basically it upregulates the dht receptors in the folicles. It happens in the prostate aswell, Basically your hair has now gotten more sensitive to dht so now you need stronger drugs to fix it. But eventually you will lose the Battle.

ClippersOn2

My Regimen
Reaction score
This happened to me as well. I started Finasteride in mid 2019 and by late 2022 / early 2023 my hair was actually looking good, no topik needed to leave the house. Mid 2023 I started losing all of growth and now I am basically back where I started from in 2019 coverage wise. It took only about four months to lose everything that I gained 2019-2023.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
This happened to me as well. I started Finasteride in mid 2019 and by late 2022 / early 2023 my hair was actually looking good, no topik needed to leave the house. Mid 2023 I started losing all of growth and now I am basically back where I started from in 2019 coverage wise. It took only about four months to lose everything that I gained 2019-2023.
Well lucky for you that it worked in the beginning at least. I tried dutasteride first for 1.5 years then went on finasteride after for total of 6 months or so. So all in all I was on dht inhibitors for 2 years. Just continued thinning all over. Not even sure I got male pattern baldness despite having a high hairline.