finasteride Tolerance

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. In regards to becoming tolerant to finasteride, is it a good idea to start out taking a lower dosage, like .5mg or even .25 daily? This dosage is light but I can raise the dosage in the future to the actual recommended dosage when I become tolerant whereas if I become tolerant to the 1mg, going beyond the recommended dosage probably isn't a great idea. Any comments on this. I was planning on doing .5mg per day...any input on this? Thanks everyone.

jumpedthegun

Established Member
Reaction score
i'm wondering the same thing. i've been in 1mg for 6 months, but i've been thinking of reducing the dosage to .5mg.

personally, i think it depends on the aggressiveness of your hairloss. when merck settled on 1mg as the best dosage, i doubt they were studying people with full heads of hair who just noticed a receding hairline two weeks ago. so if your hairloss is not as aggressive, and you are just looking to maintain, then i would think a lower dosage would be a logical idea.

the question is, if .5mg is nearly as effective as 1mg, then would upping your dosage later on really have much of an effect?

Headache

Reaction score
Tough call.

I started taking Propecia about 18 months ago at 1MG per day. I had a pretty good head of hair, so it wasn't that evident I was losing it. I had sexual side effects from the start, but it got to the point where I didn't have them that often.

About 3 months ago, those effects were really bothering me again so I switched to 1MG every other day. That's basically .50 per day. I haven't noticed a real change, even though it may take a few more months to see for sure.

My point is, I think .50 can work, but it you're not having sexual side effects, then why bother?

jumpedthegun

Established Member
Reaction score
1. safer
2. cheaper
3. gives you the option to increase dosage if you become tolerant of your current dosage rather than having to add other expensive, risky, or cumbersome products like minoxidil, laser comb, dutasteride, etc.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
tenshi said:
Private Ryan said:

Thanks for posting that. Do you have a link to a more in-depth explanation and instructions for the Immortalhair program? Want I want to know is how long you stop before starting finasteride again. I'm guessing a month. I need to get me a pill splitter. Thanks.

Overstimulation was something I was trying to address here a few months ago. I haven't seen any studies to confirm the discontinuing of Finasteride/minoxidil over a certain period being a good thing, but I believe it to be so.

I'd imagine it's much like eating your favorite food every day. There'd be a period, eventually, where you'd have an adverse reaction to that food. And then a period when, in its absence, that food starts to become appealing, once again, to the palate.

It's the same concept behind the rest and recovery period in bodybuilding. Too much stimulation of the muscles can have the exact opposite of the desired effect... growth.