Finasteride taking it's damn sweet time!!!!!

BEDHEAD

Reaction score
I could really use some words of encouragement, I have been using finasteride for a little over seven months and have not seen ANY progress.. I have been shedding a shitload since day one.. (miniaturized and normal hair) also looks like I am thinning all over now!! I was a Norwood 2.5 when starting.. Seems worse now, my temple region looks like it has receded about half an inch since starting finasteride....

I have also been using Minoxidil for about 1.5 years.. Haven't seen any progress from that either.....

No negative sides from the finasteride beside it not doing it's f***!NG job!!!

Has anyone else been through this situation and actually got results eventually, or am I just doomed to molt?

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you aren't having a good time. One thing to point out is minoxidil usually only works for 1-2 years, so your current loss might just be from the minoxidil effects wearing off.

Finasteride can take 1-2 years to fully kick in, but if you haven't seen any results by 7 months, you might not benefit much from it. Give it a full year before you make any decisions, but hopefully you will make some progress throughout this year.

Best of luck

maximiliandreams

Established Member
Reaction score
In my opinion,if you have NO results,even something...for 7 months of finasteride,quit it..and you said you have no results from minoxidil either..what about S5 cream miconazole ? think about it ..that's an option.Did you use minoxidil and finasteride at the same time or ?

BEDHEAD

Reaction score
I think Im gonna ditch the minoxidil... I have been using that stuff steadily at least once a day for a little over a year, and off and on for a year prior to that... I believe finasteride is my only real hope right now.. I have been taking 1.25 mg of finasteride everyday with very little side effects... The occasional (mild) ball ache isnt really much to complain about for me.. I cant comment on the brain fog, because my brain has always seemed a little foggy.. I can still concentrate with whatever task I am doing unless I am drinking.. And I do drink frequently (maybe the booze is disrupting the positive effects of finasteride?) My sex life is still strong, had sex last night twice (valentines day) back to back.. Only stopping after the first ejaculation to smoke a cigarette and get some water... I have recently upped the dose of finasteride to 1.25 mg at 5am and 1.25mg at 5 pm... I read somewhere that finasterides half-life is six to eight hours for someone in their mid twenties and a fairly lean body type...

(Over the last few years I have used multiple types of minoxidil)

Walmart generic
dr. lees xandrox 15
minoxidil max xandrox 15
perfect image solutions xandrox 15
and recently dnc nanoxidil

Has anyone heard of minoxidil causing more damage than helping? :dunno: :dunno:

BEDHEAD

Reaction score
And I have been using keto shampoo.... I was using revita but it made my hair feel like whispy, dry, tangly sh*t... Switched over to nizoral 1% and my hair feels alot softer...... Is the s5 cream worth trying? I think I will buy that if I get enough information as to whether I should kick minoxiDONT to the curb...

BEDHEAD

Reaction score
I can't give a guaranteed timeframe as to when I first started using minoxidil but i believe it was in june of 2009... Is it possible that the very mild positive effects of minoxidil have worn off at roughly around the same time I started taking finasteride? (july 2011) Im not sure, but I think my temporal hairline hasnt receded since I started using minoxidil... I have been slowly losing hold on my temporal region since I was 18 (a decade ago) Either way I am gonna stick with the finasteride for a full year to evaluate my loss..

BEDHEAD

Reaction score
And, i am a smoker... Cigarettes and grass.. I am trying to quit cigarettes completely using an electric v2 cigarette.. I do drink frequently, I think I first realized my hairloss when I started drinking (ironic) Trying very hard to mellow out on my binge drinking.. Recently I was prescribed paxil for my depression and anxiety ( quit taking it two weeks ago after what I read about the negatives of synthetic anti_depressants) I occasionally take other drugs (mushrooms and blow) and I use a biotin supplement.. that pretty much sums up every chemical going into my body.. Thought this might help with my dilemma.. :innocent:

ukmale24

Established Member
Reaction score
I think maybe you should cut down or try to quit altogether on the drug and drinking habits, you probably stand a far better chance of tackling hair loss if so.

You asked if minoxidil could make your hair worse? Well I stopped using minoxidil for the same reason. People say it lets more blood/nutrients into the scalp, but then I assume it lets more T/DHT in too.

I've been using finasteride for about 4-5 months and no results yet, just a little bit more thinning. You thought of maybe switching to dutasteride?