finasteride tablets and topical - too much??

paul

Reaction score
I'm been using 5% minoxidil for a few years but have started losing hair again so i have bought some 6% plus which includes finestaride.

Given that a lot of people aren't convinced about topical finasteride i'm thinking of buying some tablets as well.

Would this be too much? The topical finasteride dosage will supposidly be 1mg twice a day, so if had a 1mg tablet as well would this by too much?

I took finasteride for 2 years but stopped a few years ago as it didn't seem to stop my hairloss. I didn't get any sides from it.

GeminiX

Reaction score
Hi PCUK,

Welcome to the forum :)

I can't quite work out your regimen history, were you taking finasteride + Minoxidil a few years ago but you lost hair so stopped the finasteride and the loss stopped but has now started again? Or did you first take finasteride, then switch to Minoxidil?

Apologies if I've missed something.

As for finasteride + Minoxidil, quite a number of posters here use both and it seems to be successful.

As an aside, I would advise blood tests for hormone and lipid fuction every six months while on any form of mediation. Side effects on Finasteride seem to be rare, but don't take any chances.

*edit* - I just stumbled on your other thread where I was able to understand your regimen history, also I think you have your answer for next steps there to (though I still advise regular GP checkps).

Good luck and please keep us updated with your progress :)

paul

Reaction score
Hi GeminiX

I started on finasteride but after 2 years I stopped and started minoxidil. I had great results with min but after a few years i started losing hair again.

As per my other thread i've decided on minoxidil 6% plus, but feel i should be taking finasteride tablets as well just in case.

So would this be too much finasteride?

I'm tempted with dutasteride as finasteride didn't work for me before. But could i take dutasteride tablets as well as topical finasteride?

GeminiX

Reaction score
I don't know much about topical finasteride, but dutasteride and Min should be a very potent combination.

adolobe

Established Member
Reaction score
PC UK said:
Hi GeminiX

I started on finasteride but after 2 years I stopped and started minoxidil. I had great results with min but after a few years i started losing hair again.

As per my other thread i've decided on minoxidil 6% plus, but feel i should be taking finasteride tablets as well just in case.

So would this be too much finasteride?

I'm tempted with dutasteride as finasteride didn't work for me before. But could i take dutasteride tablets as well as topical finasteride?

Be advised that the full 1ml of 6% plus does contain 1mg of finasteride but most of that is lost and not absorbed. Only about 20% is actually absorbed systematically per application. Thats why Dr Lee recommends twice day application if your going to quite taken oral finasteride. For a lot of people thats enough systematic absorption to make a difference but since everyone is different it may or may not work for you. You would need blood test before and after starting treatment to see how much DHT is suppressed.

The clinical trails by Merck have show that as little as .2mg of finasteride is 80% effective as 1mg when taken orally.

My personal regime is .5mg of finasteride 1/2 of propecia and one application of 6%Plus at night in the frontal areas.

I started the 6% Plus for over a month before I started oral finasteride. I did blood test before I started an 3 weeks in on topical finasteride only. My DHT levels came back 37% lower with topical finasteride only applied twice a day 1.25ml each application.

Ive not taken test since I started oral finasteride as Im waiting for the 3o day mark to retest to see how much lower my levels are on my current regime vs the previous tests.

paul

Reaction score
Thanks for that, i might take half a finasteride tablet each day just to make sure.

Will make an appointment at the docs!