Finasteride - some mental coaching needed (oily skin)

Reaction score
For quite some time I have been wondering whether to go for finasteride or not, I am a NW2,5 and 23 years old.

What is holding me back is the fact that I have oily skin (with mild to moderate acne). I have read some stories of positive effects finasteride can have on acne - on the other side are the horrifying stories of finasteride giving permanent oily (or oilier) skin.

All I wish is to just maintain hair, I am not scared of any sexual side effects but the skin part scares me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

g.i joey

Reaction score
if you have oily skin now i can guarantee staying on a steady and stable dose of propecia will work wonders for your oily skin AND acne. One of the main reasons i love finasteride is that it leaves my skin SOOOO smooth.

abcdefg

Reaction score
No one can answer that because everyone reacts differently because no one understands how each persons endocrine system works exactly and what it does in response to lower DHT, higher T, higher E, and so on. A lot of stuff changes no one understands. Saying acne is caused by DHT alone is probably a bit of a simplification. I would bet T also contributes.

Reaction score
if you have oily skin now i can guarantee staying on a steady and stable dose of propecia will work wonders for your oily skin AND acne. One of the main reasons i love finasteride is that it leaves my skin SOOOO smooth.

Wow. It just sounds too good to be true, you know? If this really is the case the first thing I will do is take finasteride.

No one can answer that because everyone reacts differently because no one understands how each persons endocrine system works exactly and what it does in response to lower DHT, higher T, higher E, and so on. A lot of stuff changes no one understands. Saying acne is caused by DHT alone is probably a bit of a simplification. I would bet T also contributes.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. It's just that the mixed stories are so confusing, I guess the only way to find it out is just by doing.

thedarkcolor

Reaction score
Wow. It just sounds too good to be true, you know? If this really is the case the first thing I will do is take finasteride.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. It's just that the mixed stories are so confusing, I guess the only way to find it out is just by doing.

Currently trying finasteride...I've been on 1mg for around a month and a half now. Prior to this, I've always had SUPER oily skin. Like I need to wash my face multiple times a day so it doesn't look like I'm sweating, oily skin. I carry oil blotting sheets with me where ever I go.

I can say this: finasteride has made my face SO much more oily. Like, I now have twice the amount of acne, blackheads, and scalp oil I had prior to starting finasteride. It's awful. I'm trying to ride it out though, to see if things get any better. I'll keep you posted.

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My skin has definitely gone oilier on finasteride too but I'm content as I'm addressing my hair.

Reaction score
I can say this: finasteride has made my face SO much more oily. Like, I now have twice the amount of acne, blackheads, and scalp oil I had prior to starting finasteride. It's awful. I'm trying to ride it out though, to see if things get any better. I'll keep you posted.

Would be much appreciated.

And thank you guys for the replies. Getting very mixed feelings from this!

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
finasteride made my skin/hair much oilier.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you quit? Any permanent effects?

Got the DHT itch/burning, oiliness and accelerated hairloss from trying finasteride in Nov 2014. Quit in Feb 2015. Still have it and think its probably permanent.

br1

Reaction score
Got the DHT itch/burning, oiliness and accelerated hairloss from trying finasteride in Nov 2014. Quit in Feb 2015. Still have it and think its probably permanent.

Hey, did you experience an accelerated hair loss while on finasteride or just after quitting it?

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey, did you experience an accelerated hair loss while on finasteride or just after quitting it?

Both.

Reaction score

That's harsh. Did you get your DHT levels tested before finasteride? And do you have recession or diffuse loss?

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's harsh. Did you get your DHT levels tested before finasteride? And do you have recession or diffuse loss?

Nah. I've actually just been tested for DHT recently and am awaiting the results. But it's not as if finasteride can permanently alter DHT levels anyway I'm just interested. Was just temporal recession but have a bit of crown thinning now too.