Finasteride sides

sirap

Reaction score
Reposting this since I didn't get many responses in the side effects forum, any thoughts on this? I'm currently a norwood 2 but with diffuse thinning throughout my hairline, crown seems fine. Just frustrated that what I need to maintain/regain a thick hairline is right in front of me but I can't use it...

I'm 25 years old, going on 26.

"In short, tried finasteride 6 months ago, felt great that I was finally doing something about it and didn't think twice about it.

The next day erection felt somewhat harder to attain but put it up to nocebo, however orgasms didn't really feel pleasureable at all, just the physical sensation of ejaculating.

From the second day forward I stopped getting morning wood altogether, from the third day (the last dose I took) libido was completely shot and I couldn't get an erection without heavy physical stimulation and I wouldn't get completely hard even then (lost about an inch of erect length, I measured), semen was watery (though this I know is normal). My penis was also a bit shrunk while flaccid, a bit like when you step out of a cold swimming pool.

Five days in I had also lost some sensitivity in my shaft (uncircumsized so the difference was very strong to what it normally is). Trying to masturbate was now a chore since my thoughts would wander and I would forget that I was masturbating (tried watching some p**rn as well to have something to focus on but that did absolutely nothing), it was like there was a disconnect between my brain and my penis.

I stopped taking finasteride after the third dose, it took about 10 days before I got a half stiffy in the morning again and around 2 weeks before I was back to pretty much normal.

So, any chance ALL of this was just in my head? Min+nizoral is not cutting it at all and finasteride feels like my only choice to have any chance at reclaiming what I've lost before it goes too far."

Fall

Reaction score
You tool 3 dosages of Finasteride and you basically almost lost your ability to get erections and all that?

That is quite sounds shocking but I belive it is really only in your head. I am sorry to say this because this is not what you wanted to hear. I mean these "symptoms" you describe can happen from time to time. Not every errection is the same all the time. Did you ever keep attention to your errection before? It is really possible that the they change.

sirap

Reaction score
I know how it sounds, and yes the erection quality was too obvious, ignoring the obvious length change the girth was also much smaller, is wasn't just "hm, is it slightly smaller than before?, it was more "damn, I lost about 25-33 % of my girth and length". Everyones erections vary from time to time, but this was like I had another mans much smaller penis. I realise my penis didn't actually shrink, I simply wasn't able to achieve a full erection.

It being in my head is what I want it to be, because then I can try again, it's just that the physical sides were so obvious.

Fall

Reaction score
Erection problems can have a lot of causes and the temporary ones are really in the head. There are many men who find it hard to loose their virginity because they are too nervous. Perhaps you were think to much about your sexual function or could you fully concentrate on the "process in hand"? Did you ever experience some issues with your errection before? If really everything was fine and you never saw anything like this happen it may really be because of the drugs

br1

Reaction score
"Trying to masturbate was now a chore since my thoughts"

That's one clue that your THOUGHTS are influencing your body... more than you realize..

People don't believe that anxiety, the mind, can play a huge influence in the body.. I can tell you, it not only CAN. it DOES.

sirap

Reaction score
"Trying to masturbate was now a chore since my thoughts"

That's one clue that your THOUGHTS are influencing your body... more than you realize..

People don't believe that anxiety, the mind, can play a huge influence in the body.. I can tell you, it not only CAN. it DOES.

My thoughts would wander since I had absolutely no interest in sex or any feelings of hornyness, I would try to fantasize and then would go all "hey that happened today, I wonder if...." and so on.

I'm really just thinking about trying again and if the same thing happens I'll just throw the pills out, though now I'm afraid the sides will be persistent this time around (however unlikely).

Norwood One

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hey Sirap, i'm kind of in the same boat. Sexual thoughts get distracted by something else and then you just don't care. Aka reduced sex drive. Not erectile problem, but definitely a reduction in horniness.

2Young4This

Reaction score
I had some very real physical side effects from Finasteride, but it took about 75 days for them to begin, and another 17 days for them to get reeeeeeaaaalllly bad. After experiencing the sides, I can't see myself ever going back; too scary.

I am a couple days off of Finasteride now and I already feel much better. Sex drive coming back :)

Norwood One

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well, i'm no expert on finasteride or it's side effects. Hell, I just started. But here's what I think about it.

Some people have very high sex drives. I do. I can probably go like 6 times in a day and still want more. This is group A

Group B, people who don't have that high of a sex drive. When group B takes finasteride, they don't notice it as much because they aren't used to wanting it 250 times a day. But for someone in group A, even a slight reduction in erection or morning wood and it's obvious as day they're experiencing some side effect.

A random boner during the day is under conscious thought. That is something that could be compromised by your thoughts/anxiety. Constantly monitoring your member will make you scrutinize every little movement, etc, not thinking it's hard enough, leading to a feedback loop of more anxiety. THAT can be a nocebo.

But morning wood, that isn't under your conscious control...if that goes away, you're definitely going through some sides.

Shagrath

Reaction score
Sounds like it is just in your head. It is good to learn the possible negative side effects, but you shouldn't focus too much on them. You will notice if you truly experience them, so try to forget them for now (even though it is easier said than done). Lycka till!

thomas3746

Reaction score
I had the exact same sides, including the loss of sensitivity ( incl. shaft) watery semen and erectile dysfunction. After only one week of finasteride use. It took nearly 2 months before I was back to normal. This is not in your head, these are real side effects. It's up to you if you think that's worth it. For me, it wasn't. I will never touch that stuff again.

Aged

Reaction score
So after 3 days you experienced all of that? Surely that can't be possible. But what do I know, I'm not a doctor. It was more than likely in your head, i take it you've read umpt amount of bad stories on the subject. I also take DIM plus, an estrogen balancer with my Finasteride. Gets rid of the fatty weight you put on round your belly and hips and also helps the facial hair grow back like it did before Finasteride. All the best.