finasteride + Sides + Dosage

Soldier7

Reaction score
I experienced sexual sides from proscar (finasteride) after only 2 months on it. I was taking 1.25 a day. Would I get the same effectiveness with less/no sides by cutting the dosage to .25 or even .5? Would I still most likely experience sides?

Since Proscar is a 5mg tab, I can't even imagine cutting it to .25 pieces (10 pieces per tablet??) and even .5 would be hard. Would it even be effective? All help is appreciated.

In the meantime, I've upped nizoral to 5x per week. Still using Min once before bed.

Soldier7

Reaction score
Sorry for the impatience, but any help would be greatly appreciated as I've heard different things on the issue from searching the boards. Thanks!

ttroy

Reaction score
I'm guessing the sides are caused by an increase in estrogen and a decrease in DHT?

AFAIK finasteride has a flat response rate, so your sides and "gains" should be the same no matter if you take 0.25 or 1.25.

paximperia

Established Member
Reaction score
"AFAIK finasteride has a flat response rate, so your sides and "gains" should be the same no matter if you take 0.25 or 1.25."

Not exactly. The response rate is curved, not flat. Theoretically speaking lets say that 1mg blocks 70%, .5mg might block 68%, while .25 might block 60%, and .125 might block 30%. That last .5mg doesn't get you nearly as much as the first .5mg (diminishing returns).

Those numbers are all hypothetical of course...

billythekid

Established Member
Reaction score
ttroy said:
AFAIK finasteride has a flat response rate, so your sides and "gains" should be the same no matter if you take 0.25 or 1.25.

no...

forget about theory.... some users here have reported success wrt fewer sides on a reduced dosage.