Finasteride Side Effects

Bismarck

Reaction score
They result from aromatized (free) testosterone not decreased DHT, right ?
Does anybody know whether turosteride is sold as a drug ?

drinkrum

Reaction score
What is turosteride? I think it is the DHT not the increase in E2. I took anastrazole (Arimidex) which inhibits the aromatase enzyme, and didn't notice a significant change in libido.

D.

stax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
No, not in most cases. Read this answer i got from Dr.Lee when i asked him the same question.

I asked: If i take Propecia will the testosterone that would normally convert to DHT convert into Estrogen instead now that Propecia stops the conversion of DHT?

Dr.Lee answered: Generally, there is a 10-15% increase in serum testosterone and a 60-80% decrease in dihydrotestosterone (DHT) because finasteride blocks the type-2 5 alpha reductase enzyme which converts testosterone into DHT. The rise in testosterone is usually still within normal limits for any patient.

For many patients, this rise in testosterone is a transient rise because the feedback mechanism with the pituitary readjusts it to your baseline levels.

You cannot assume that the increase in testosterone results in increased estrogen production. There is not a direct correlation between testosterone levels and estrogen levels in any individual.

If you are really worried about some extra test aromatizing take 200-400 mg's of Calcium D-Glucarate like im doing. I just started taking finasteride yesterday and this is what i do. Also take Flaxseed oil daily, eat lots of veggies, and lots of fiber. This also helps to lower estrogen levels and keep hormones in balance. Whole omega 3 eggs are good also. I've been reading about Calcium D-Glucarate on the net and it says that it lowers serum estrogen levels and helps protect against a whole bunch of cancers.

Bismarck

Reaction score
So, the DHT deprivation is responsible for the sides (weight gain, decreased libodo,...) ?
I remember some who had sides (gyno) took Arimidex in order to block T to estrogen conversion. If you go to a hospital with a gyno you will be asked whether you do bodybuiling and injecting testosterone. Yes, the 10% raise is small but it might be too much for the 2% of the finasteride users.

Bismarck

Reaction score
drinkrum said:
What is turosteride? I think it is the DHT not the increase in E2. I took anastrazole (Arimidex) which inhibits the aromatase enzyme, and didn't notice a significant change in libido.

D.

If increased T is the reason for the sides, inhibiting 5aR without increasing T would be a good thing for people suffering from side effects.
Turosteride is such an inhibitor from what I've read.

Competitive and specific inhibitor of Type II 5a-reductase.

Mechanism:
Turosteride blocks the peripheral conversion of testosterone to DHT by type II 5a-reductase in competitive mode, resulting in significant decreases in serum and tissue DHT concentrations. Turosteride did not show any relevant binding affinity to the androgen receptor. However, at variance with other 5 alpha-reductase inhibitors (e.g. finasteride), turosteride caused a decrease in prostatic DHT not associated with a secondary increase in T content. This peculiarity of turosteride may represent an improvement of the compound over other inhibitors.

All this make Turosteride a promissing 5alfa-reductase inhibitor.
Specific studies on androgenetic alopecia are not known.

Availability: Prescription. (?)

stax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I personally beleive that weight gain thing is pure bullock's. I wouldnt't take Armidex to block estrogen while taking finasteride because you'll do yourself way more harm than good in the long run. I mean Bodybuilders only take Armidex because their taking buckets of roids that increase testosterone WAY more than 10%. I think Armidex is more dangerous than finasteride. Look at the potential side effects. Also it's all about genetics, look at some of the bodybuilders who take bucket's or roids without an anti-estrogen and never get gyno. He's another artice i found on Calcium D-Glucarate.

Calcium D-Glucarate is an excellent detoxifying agent. It assists and strengthens glucuronidation, the important Phase 2 detoxification pathway. This reduces serum estrogen levels and assists in the detoxification and excretion of xenobiotics, lipid-soluble toxins, and steroid hormones.

Studies show that Calcium D-Glucarate inhibits tumor growth and the development of breast and prostate cancer. This detoxification of estrogen function is useful for bodybuilders, as well as men or women suffering symptoms of estrogen dominance.

Start with low doses of one capsule once every 2 days with meals, and increase to one capsule 3 times daily with meals. If headaches or cleansing reactions occur, reduce dosing to a more comfortable level.

90 capsules
500 mg. each

Here is something else i found called DIM:

Di-Indoly Methane (DIM) is derived from cruciferous vegetables. It is the stable, bioavailable form of indole-3-carbinol (I3C), but with 10 times the potency of I3C.

30-40 mg DIM = 300 mg I3C = A pound and a half of broccoli

The liver breaks estrogens into two main forms: a "good" form, called 2-hydroxy estrone, and a "bad" form, called 16-hydroxy estrone. DIM promotes the creation of the good form and blocks the bad one. It helps decrease protein bonding of testosterone -- leaving more free -- while helping to flush out toxic xeno-estrogens like dioxin.

DIM assists with fat loss, muscle growth, cancer protection, and hormone balancing for both men and women. Eat your vegetables, but consider the help of DIM for these more complex health projects.

Recommended Dosage: 100 mg daily, with meals.
Safe dosage range: 50-400 mg daily, as recommended by a health professional.

Contains 20 grams, or 200 x 100mg doses.

If you're really worried about aromatization i would use the following natural formula's.

stax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
These are the potential side effects of taking Armidex.

What are the possible side effects of anastrozole?
• Stop taking anastrozole and seek emergency medical attention if you experience an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of your throat; swelling of your lips, tongue, or face; or hives) to anastrozole.
• Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take anastrozole and talk to your doctor if you experience
· diarrhea;
· nausea or vomiting;
· constipation;
· weakness;
· muscle or bone pain;
· headache;
· hot flashes;
· shortness of breath or coughing;
· dizziness;
· swelling or water retention;
· loss of appetite;
· vaginal dryness;
· weight gain; or
· rash.
• Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.

drinkrum

Reaction score
Bismarck said:
So, the DHT deprivation is responsible for the sides (weight gain, decreased libodo,...) ?
I remember some who had sides (gyno) took Arimidex in order to block T to estrogen conversion. If you go to a hospital with a gyno you will be asked whether you do bodybuiling and injecting testosterone. Yes, the 10% raise is small but it might be too much for the 2% of the finasteride users.

No, but I think the sexual side effects are due to the reduction of DHT. There are studies on this, many of which I have discussed in earlier posts. Other side effects may be due to the concomitant increase in estrogens.

D.

drinkrum

Reaction score
stax said:
These are the potential side effects of taking Armidex.

What are the possible side effects of anastrozole?
• Stop taking anastrozole and seek emergency medical attention if you experience an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of your throat; swelling of your lips, tongue, or face; or hives) to anastrozole.
• Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take anastrozole and talk to your doctor if you experience
· diarrhea;
· nausea or vomiting;
· constipation;
· weakness;
· muscle or bone pain;
· headache;
· hot flashes;
· shortness of breath or coughing;
· dizziness;
· swelling or water retention;
· loss of appetite;
· vaginal dryness;
· weight gain; or
· rash.
• Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.

Remember that Arimidex (anastrazole) is indicated for post-menopausal women with breast cancer. That, by itself, makes it a drug not to be taken lightly by males. Although, studies have shown that it has a relatively safe risk profile for young men.

D.

drinkrum

Reaction score
You cannot assume that the increase in testosterone results in increased estrogen production. There is not a direct correlation between testosterone levels and estrogen levels in any individual.

An increase in testosterone can result in an increase in estrogen. This is why bodybuilders get gyno and encounter other side effects. There is no direct correlation between T levels and E2 in a _given_ individual, but if you exogenously add T, E2 is expected to increase due to greater activity of the aromatase enzyme.

D.

CMartel2

Reaction score
Re:

No, but I think the sexual side effects are due to the reduction of DHT. There are studies on this, many of which I have discussed in earlier posts. Other side effects may be due to the concomitant increase in estrogens.

D.

Well, there could be a multitude of causes for weakened erections. Elevations in prolactin, estrogen, and progesterone could also contribute. You are right, however, that DHT is the primary hormone controlling erectile function. Wiping it out isn't exactly the greatest thing for the ole love life.