finasteride shrinking your penis. HOW is that even possible?

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
decro435 said:
Finasteride should be just as potent at .25mg as 1mg due to it having a "flat" dose response curve.

so why not take the full 1mg then?

Hoppi

Reaction score
decro435 said:
Finasteride should be just as potent at .25mg as 1mg due to it having a "flat" dose response curve.

precisely.

It should be.. however.. people always do talk of having fewer sides and more shedding on 0.25, or at least I have heard that in the past.. probably more than once. I believe that 0.5 is almost definitely exactly the same as 1.0 (check the graph), 0.25.... is certainly close :)

In fact one reason I cut them into quarters is simply to save money.

I figure that by taking o.25 every other day, sometimes daily, my DHT levels are probably.. what.. maybe half? Maybe a little over? And if I'm using Nizoral and cutting down inflammation as well that's probably fine, I don't want a huge DHT/5ar reduction as I don't really feel I want to do that to my body.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
If you feel sh*t mentally and are not horny your dick will wrinkle and become smaller. If you don't get erections that often anymore, you will have less blood flow in your penis resulting it to go thinner, smaller and colder.

Nene

Reaction score
decro435 said:

According to that chart Hoppi just posted it sure looked like lower doses were blocking less dht to me.

zeroheat

Established Member
Reaction score
erm guys, look at Hoppi's graph (which has been posted often) more carefully, 0.2mg blocks MUCH less than 1.5mg.

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
zeroheat said:
erm guys, look at Hoppi's graph (which has been posted often) more carefully, 0.2mg blocks MUCH less than 1.5mg.

From my understanding, 0.25mg is nearly as effective for hairloss as 1mg because it lowers the scalp DHT similarly. When someone takes 1mg of finasteride daily, their serum levels are decreased drastically by about 60-70%, but the scalp DHT is only lowered by approximately 38%. So 5mg of finasteride will end up lowering serum DHT levels much more than 0.25 mg, but the DHT in the scalp won't decrease to the same degree, resulting in the reletively "flat dose response" that everyone is so fond of mentioning.

zeroheat

Established Member
Reaction score
timbo said:
zeroheat said:

From my understanding, 0.25mg is nearly as effective for hairloss as 1mg because it lowers the scalp DHT similarly. When someone takes 1mg of finasteride daily, their serum levels are decreased drastically by about 60-70%, but the scalp DHT is only lowered by approximately 38%. So 5mg of finasteride will end up lowering serum DHT levels much more than 0.25 mg, but the DHT in the scalp won't decrease to the same degree, resulting in the reletively "flat dose response" that everyone is so fond of mentioning.
Can you show me a proof of that (graph, chart whatever)? I respect your posts so I almost believe you, but I need a scientific proof.

Hoppi

Reaction score
Guys, you need to work out for yourselves how the effect of taking a certain dose DAILY will add up - that graph is for a one-off dose. Therefore you can predict how far your serum dht will fall depending on what dose you take and how often :)

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
zeroheat said:
timbo said:
zeroheat said:

Can you show me a proof of that (graph, chart whatever)? I respect your posts so I almost believe you, but I need a scientific proof.

0.2mg has a similar level of effectiveness as 1mg. I would be happy to cite a few sources. Including: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10495375. The original Merck study that was used to find the optimal dose for hair-loss suggested that 1mg/day was slightly more effective than lower micro-doses (0.2mg and up) and did not seem present a higher risk of side-effects. The reason behind the "flat dose response" is something I picked up from Dr. Lee over at http://minoxidil.com/subpages/hairloss_ ... ory_i.html when I first started studying male pattern baldness.

I don't know of any medical studies answering the "why," in terms of finasteride's flat dose response. Dr. Lee's write up makes sense to me, and I tend to trust his expertise on these sort of things.

Belmondo

Established Member
Reaction score
biger_beter said:
HOW is that even possible?
These people that claim they have had their penis shrink in size whilst on finasteride.
Is that completely in their head? It doesnt make sense to me
Is that even possible?
This crap about the sides is pissing me off! :mad:

I'm not an expert but yes, in theory at least, I believe it's possible. Many middle aged men complain that their penises got smaller as they got older and their testosterone levels declined. So, maybe hormone levels can influence the size of genitals.

Belmondo

Established Member
Reaction score
Nene said:
[...]

Doesn't work that way. Men without male pattern baldness also have DHT, they just don't have follicles sensitive to the DHT.

Yes, precisely. I believe the key is follicle sensitivity.

We all know by now that DHT is causing this problem, now we need to find the right way to deal with it.

The ultimate baldness solution should be some sort of treatment (preferably an oral pill) that could protect follicles from DHT without altering hormone levels. That's the future of baldness treatment, not follicle cloning or some magical gene therapy.

zeroheat

Established Member
Reaction score
timbo said:
0.2mg has a similar level of effectiveness as 1mg. I would be happy to cite a few sources. Including: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10495375. The original Merck study that was used to find the optimal dose for hair-loss suggested that 1mg/day was slightly more effective than lower micro-doses (0.2mg and up) and did not seem present a higher risk of side-effects. The reason behind the "flat dose response" is something I picked up from Dr. Lee over at http://minoxidil.com/subpages/hairloss_ ... ory_i.html when I first started studying male pattern baldness.

I don't know of any medical studies answering the "why," in terms of finasteride's flat dose response. Dr. Lee's write up makes sense to me, and I tend to trust his expertise on these sort of things.
Very nice :) I've been thinking about reducing my finasteride dose slight from 1.25mg, and this is a good news. Thanks for the post

Nene

Reaction score
zeroheat said:
timbo said:

Very nice :) I've been thinking about reducing my finasteride dose slight from 1.25mg, and this is a good news. Thanks for the post

Problem is you can't really cut down Proscar into anything smaller than 1/4s. You'll have to get propecia but thats $$$. I guess if you cut it down into 1/4s though, it ends up being like 15 a month which isn't all that bad.

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
zeroheat said:

Why do you want to do that? Changing things around after you've seen success seems illogical to me.

zeroheat

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I was thinking about cutting proscar into 1/5.. using pill cutter. Is this not possible? I was hoping to completely get rid of a very mild side I've been experiencing (slightly lower libido, maybe at about 90% of what it used to be).

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Nene said:
zeroheat said:
timbo said:

Problem is you can't really cut down Proscar into anything smaller than 1/4s. You'll have to get propecia but thats $$$. I guess if you cut it down into 1/4s though, it ends up being like 15 a month which isn't all that bad.
You can always dissolve it.