Finasteride Shedding? Is This Normal Or Should I Be Concerned. .

gonzaga

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey!

I'm in my mid twenties, have been losing hair for about a year and a half now.. I would call me a vertex-diffuse thinner, around Norwood 2-2.5.

I've been using rogaine foam for almost a year and it hasn't done much, so I two months decided to go nuclear and go on the big three. I started taking finasteride 1 mg once a day, two months ago - and honestly I see an increase in my shedding! I've seen online testimonials that it is okay (and some even say a good sign), but also I've seen some posts of doctors who say it should not happen. I'm a bit scared and confused... when I brush my hair I see lots of hairs falling out (especially smaller or "miniaturized" ones, but also a bit of longer and thicker hairs).

What are your experiences? Is it normal? If so how long did it last and were you able to recover from it?

Also my regime is 1 mg finasteride daily, Lipogaine minoxidil liquid (switched to this brand a month ago) X2 daily and nizoral shampoo X2 a week.

Thanks!

gonzaga

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks I was a bit concerned since my doctor did not prepare me to this (he did warn me before starting minoxidil). Do you have any tips how to deal with it or any idea how long does it usually last (or share your story if you've experienced it)

BaldingGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You're not alone. I'm in my 6th week with finasteride and minoxidil and i'm starting to shed like crazy. The first weeks i would count like 20 hairs, sometimes less sometimes a bit more. Now, it's almost 50 a day, and that's just what i can count.. Today i counted around 100... It's shocking to see.. Hope it stops soon and i can see at least the regrowth of the hairs i lost