Finasteride, safe?

michael barry

Reaction score
http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/Profs/Datash ... ciatab.htm

Animal Toxicology
Carcinogenicity
No evidence of a tumorigenic effect was observed in a 24-month study in rats receiving doses of finasteride up to 320 mg/kg/day (16,000 times the recommended human dose of 1 mg/day).

In a 19-month carcinogenicity study in mice, a statistically significant (p? 0.05) increase in the incidence of testicular Leydig cell adenoma was observed at a dose of 250 mg/kg/day (12,500 times the recommended human dose of 1 mg/day); no adenomas were seen in mice given 2.5 or 25 mg/kg/day (125 and 1,250 times the recommended human dose of 1 mg/day, respectively).

In mice at a dose of 25 mg/kg/day and in rats at a dose of ?40 mg/kg/day (1,250 and ?2,000 times the recommended human dose of 1 mg/day, respectively), an increase in the incidence of Leydig cell hyperplasia was observed.

A positive correlation between the proliferative changes of the Leydig cells and the increase in serum LH levels (2-3 fold above control) has been demonstrated in both rodent species treated with high doses of finasteride. This suggests the Leydig cell changes are secondary to elevated serum LH levels and not due to a direct effect of finasteride.

No medicine-related Leydig cell changes were seen in either rats or dogs treated with finasteride for one year at doses of 20 mg/kg/day and 45 mg/kg/day (1,000 and 2,250 times the recommended human dose of 1 mg/day, respectively) or in mice treated for 19 months at a dose of 2.5 mg/kg/day (125 times the recommended human dose of 1 mg/day).

....yeah, I'd say so.
The massive dosages given to the mice and rats should go to show alot of you just how thouroughly the FDA ordinarily tries to make sure a drug does no harm. We probably have lawsuits to thank for this.

This brings me back to something from the past however.......We know that mice, rats, monkeys and men have two forms of alpha five reductase, and finasteride is tested on mice and rats to check for safety in high doses in humans based on it doing similar things to the rodents.
If that is so folks, then the fact that black tea drank by mice as their only beverage when they were thirsty in experiments reducing dht by 72% would lead me to conclude that it should do the same in humans.

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/133/2/516

Mice treated with black tea tended to have a greater serum testosterone concentration (34.4%, P = 0.50) and had a 72% lower DHT concentration than controls (P < 0.05), suggesting that black tea may contain components that inhibit the activity of 5-reductase, an enzyme that converts testosterone to the more bioactive DHT.

Does anyone want to test this with a doctor? All you have to do is go get your serum DHT levels measured, drink black tea with your meals everyday for a couple of weeks and go back and get them remeasured, and then we can all know if it works internally or not............................
I have a feeling that it would, and I also have a feeling based on the testosterone increases being what they were and the similar decrease in serum DHT than finasteride gives mice (hell, its greater), that it inhibits type two in humans being.
Just food for thought gents...................................

G

Assuming it would work, would any black tea do the trick? I'm willing to try it (without the testing part though) since black tea is kinda cheap.

kento

Established Member
Reaction score
We all know the sexuall effect by finasteride, we can even pay more for finasteride treatmant without those sides :)

GlasgowCelt

Reaction score
kento said:
We all know the sexuall effect by finasteride, we can even pay more for finasteride treatmant without those sides :)

Never knew there was such a treatment containing finasteride without side effects. Could you elaborate for me? Quite interested!

Thanks

TonyTheTiger

Established Member
Reaction score
How much Black Tea and what time it doesnt say! what a load of BS and why do they test it on Rat and mice? what may work for a mice works for a human too? why not test it on apes and chimps they are our closest relatives.

ANDREW_J_I

Experienced Member
Reaction score
it gives u gyno.... and how is that good? its permanent, wanna look like a woman?

TonyTheTiger

Established Member
Reaction score
ANDREW_J_I said:
it gives u gyno.... and how is that good? its permanent, wanna look like a woman?
black tea gives you gyno?

Or you talking bout propecia?

why you got gyno from it ? I am scare now. :(

kento

Established Member
Reaction score
GlasgowCelt said:
kento said:

Never knew there was such a treatment containing finasteride without side effects. Could you elaborate for me? Quite interested!

Thanks

And where did i say that there is such i treatmant, i said is not problem for me and i guess for many who are dealing with sides to pay extra bucks to have something good as finasteride but without sides. I don't give a f*** if the product cost me 200$ per month as long it works, no sides and don't takes to much time is ok to me. Maybe at Merck can produce something like that, sides makes them to lose lot of customers including me.

kento

Established Member
Reaction score
For example i can't use the big 3 :( with makes that i'm doomed to be bald

Finasteride - I don't like the sides it's hormons and doctor says that isn't joke, i highly doubt that finasteride can affect on my desire for sex but less semens in my sperm is something that i really can't control it and i want one day to have kids
Rogaine - I have seborrhea so rogaine only just make my hair thinner
Nizoral - Simular effect like Rogaine because of seborrhea

What so i do?? Drink black tea because some studies on rats shows decrease the level :) cmon we are humans

TonyTheTiger

Established Member
Reaction score
kento said:
For example i can't use the big 3 :( with makes that i'm doomed to be bald

Finasteride - I don't like the sides it's hormons and doctor says that isn't joke, i highly doubt that finasteride can affect on my desire for sex but less semens in my sperm is something that i really can't control it and i want one day to have kids
Rogaine - I have seborrhea so rogaine only just make my hair thinner
Nizoral - Simular effect like Rogaine because of seborrhea

What so i do?? Drink black tea because some studies on rats shows decrease the level :) cmon we are humans

man I wanna have kids too! healthy ones and that scares me about the proscar/propecia.

and I agree on the black tea lol we are humans way differetn then rats.

abcdefg

Reaction score
All black tea isnt the same and these days most of the crap we eat and drink who knows what happens to it. Maybe i should start drinking black tea even though I drink green tea all the time and its debatable if that even lowers or raises dht.

ginner

Established Member
Reaction score
For whatever it's worth, I've been drinking black tea since I was like 7 years old. Sometimes more than 10 cups per day. It didn't stop male pattern baldness from kicking in though.

Still, if anyone is keen to try it then at least it's cheap. It's not like you're being asked to spend hundreds of dollars on snake oil. Tea costs next to nothing. I guess there's the added cost of boiling your water as well but still, next to nothing.