finasteride & regrowing hair...

Maxpwr

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all... I have seen numerous posts and replies on this forum stating that finasteride will regrow hair. As far as I was aware finasteride was a DHT inhibitor which could be used to maintain and stop further hair loss, but not regrow hair.

Is this true? Why do so many people recommend the use of finasteride by itself to "diffuse thinners" or other hairloss patients looking for answers? Does inhibiting DHT mean that the hair loss will cease AND reverse? I have been told otherwise by my clinic...

Please correct me if I'm wrong. :?

djthomas85

Reaction score
dht builds up on the scalp which shrinks the hair follicle, so, when u use finasteride is reduces the scalp dht which then allows the follicle to grow naturally. finasteride can only do so much tho, it depends on the persons follicle sensitivity to dht. adding something like topical spironolactone or nizoral will reduce dht on the scalp whilst finasteride internally reduces the amount of dht produced in the first place, so theoretically if both r used everyone should be happy! :)
But, as we all know it all sounds impressive! but whther it works is another matter.

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yeah, theoretically, if you eliminate the stuff that's killing the follicle it should allow it to thrive and return to its former glory.

on the diff. thinners thing ... maybe it's because their hair thins slowly in stages. Compared to "standard" receders who's hair maybe sheds and then doesn't grow back. Diffusers are more likely to respond to finasteride because of this? I DUNNO. anyone?

CCS

Reaction score
Maxpwr said:
Hello all... I have seen numerous posts and replies on this forum stating that finasteride will regrow hair. As far as I was aware finasteride was a DHT inhibitor which could be used to maintain and stop further hair loss, but not regrow hair.

Is this true? Why do so many people recommend the use of finasteride by itself to "diffuse thinners" or other hairloss patients looking for answers? Does inhibiting DHT mean that the hair loss will cease AND reverse? I have been told otherwise by my clinic...

Please correct me if I'm wrong. :?

look at my avatar. does that answer your question?

Maxpwr

Established Member
Reaction score
CCS said:

Nope... is it supposed to? I can barely read the title of the graph, even on your Myspace pic. What does it indicate?

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Maxpwr said:
CCS said:

Nope... is it supposed to? I can barely read the title of the graph, even on your Myspace pic. What does it indicate?

hair count increased after 5 yrs

phish

Established Member
Reaction score
and thats including the 17 percent that dont respond to the drug, not to mention the hairs are thicker and healthier wich hair count really cant show.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
phish said:
and thats including the 17 percent that dont respond to the drug, not to mention the hairs are thicker and healthier wich hair count really cant show.

by lowering the DHT, your hair should at least appear more healthy. DHT is the follicle killer.

Dannie

Reaction score
flimflam said:
yeah, theoretically, if you eliminate the stuff that's killing the follicle it should allow it to thrive and return to its former glory.

on the diff. thinners thing ... maybe it's because their hair thins slowly in stages. Compared to "standard" receders who's hair maybe sheds and then doesn't grow back. Diffusers are more likely to respond to finasteride because of this? I DUNNO. anyone?

i guess nobody's hair sheds and doesn't grow back again. the only difference between standard receders, as u say, and diffuse thinners is that in the first group hair thins in specific regions and in second one it thins all over their heads.