Finasteride reducing phallus size

Rawtashk

Reaction score
If I remember correctly...they were giving finasteride in large doses to juvenile rats. It was basically the same as giving a 14 year old finasteride, which is (obviously) something that you should never do, and should never happen.

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
There are basically 2 types of penis shrinkage. The first is due to blood loss, and only affects the penis in its flaccid state. This happens when the blood is taken from your extremities (hands and feet, also genitals) and transfered to be used by more important organs, such as your brain, heart, lungs, etc. This occurs as a side effect to some stimulant medications, as well as commonly from anxiety. In fact people with chronic anxiety conditions can find their penis is in a more or less persistent shrunken state. Obviously we all know about the cold water phenomenon, and also when an urgent bowel movement is on its way; blood is taken from your genitals to be used by your adjacent colon and associated muscles. Your body is great at deciding which organs need blood, and there are a lot of times the decision is that your genitals don't need it.

Finasteride MAY cause this effect, and I think this is what’s going on when most people report their penis has shrank. I haven’t personally experienced it, but it is definitely a possibility. However, since the penis is a muscle and blood is the key factor in size, it often changes. However, the penis will always reach its full size when erect.

Now our second cause of shrinkage is actual damage to the penis. Causes of damage can include physical trauma and spontaneous scarring (Peyronie’s). Both of these causes can result in scared tissue which can leave the penis bent or even appear to be shorter while erect.

I came across a study that did some ultrasound scans of the penises of men who suffer from persistent erectile dysfunction from using 5ARI’s. The study indicates that 5ARI’s did not cause any vascular issues in these men, as the scans came back normal (except for in 2, where other factors were suspected to be the cause). This doesn’t exactly rule out Peyronie’s as a symptom of finasteride (currently this is completely unproven) but it does strongly indicate that ED is not being caused by physical damage to the penis. I personally believe this throws the rat studies right out the window as well, but I never thought they had much merit to begin with. Anyway, here is the abstract of said study:

ERECTILE HEMODYNAMICS ASSESSMENT IN MEN WITH PERSISTENT ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION AFTER 5-ALPHA REDUCTASE INHIBITOR USE
Raanan Tal
Nelson E. Bennett
Doron S. Stember
Darren J. Katz
Joseph B. Narus
Andrea Martelli
John P. Mulhall
New York, NY

Introduction and Objectives

There has been tremendous interest recently in the concept that 5-alpha reductase inhibitors (5-ARI) are associated with persistent sexual side effects after cessation of these medications. While there is animal evidence supporting structural and functional changes in erectile tissue and some human evidence supporting alterations in neurosteroid production, there does not yet exist any formal objective erectile function assessment in such patients. This analysis was conducted to define the erectile hemodynamic profiles of men presenting with this condition.

Methods

Study population consisted of: (i) men presenting with the complaint of erectile dysfunction (ED) only after commencement of 5-ARI (ii) presentation to sexual medicine clinic ?6 months (m) after cessation of 5-ARI and (iii) at least 3 months use of 5-ARI (finasteride, dutasteride). Demographic data, comorbidity parameters and treatment history were recorded. All patients underwent duplex Doppler penile ultrasound (DUS) in a vasoactive agent re-dosing fashion. Criteria for normal erectile hemodynamics were PSV>30cm/s and EDV<5cm/s.

Results

35 men had a mean age = 36±18 years (y). 27 had used Propecia (Group A) for alopecia prevention. 8 had used 5-ARI (Proscar 5, Avodart 3) for benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH) (Group B). Mean ages in these groups = 27±7y, 48±11y respectively. Median vascular risk factor (VRF) number: A 1 (0-2); B 2 (0-4). Duration of 5-ARI exposure: A 17±11 months (m); B 18±22m. Duration off 5-ARI at presentation: A 9±7 (6-22)m; B 11±10 (6-37)m. None had ED prior to 5-ARI use. Overall, mean PSV and EDV values = 62±22cm/s and 1.5±1.5 cm/s respectively. 2/35 DUS were demonstrating impaired cavernosal artery inflow with mean PSV = 24 (22-26) cm/s. Both these men were in Group B, were ?50y old and both had ?2 VRF.

Conclusions

In this group of men complaining of ED onset after 5-ARI use, erectile hemodynamics were normal in Propecia users. 2/8 men with ED onset after use of 5-ARI for BPH had abnormal DUS although it is plausible that these changes are related to VRF-associated vascular changes rather than the 5-ARI exposure.

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
I know we use rats in a lot of experiments with drugs, but can we really compare them to humans in situations like this?

A tiny, young rat given more finasteride than most humans would take well into their maturity?

I'm sure if we injected rats with alcohol all day they'd get liver failure pretty quickly, but the same amount in a human would have very little affect.