finasteride - Possibility Of Reflex Androgenicity?

pjhair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Agreed. My hairloss has gone into over drive since starting propecia 20 months ago. I don't have any symptoms typically linked with hyperandrogenicty, however.

May be in your case finasteride only impacted androgen sensitivity? That may explain hair loss even in absence of other symptoms. Perhaps your free testosterone level did go up but your body somehow avoided excess sebum production. Sort of what happens when we hit puberty. Everyone's testosterone level does go up but not all of us get oily skin/acne. Our bodies are so complex and vary so greatly that it is hard to predict with certainty what effects the med's dealing with something as delicate as endocrine system will have. Also, our understanding of male pattern baldness is far from complete so that doesn't help. Did you have hormone testing done prior to starting finasteride? That will give some answers.

cyrusthegreat@hotmail.com

Established Member
Reaction score
I was a non responder to Finasteride. I gave it two and a half years and all it did was put my hair in a never ending telogen effluvium. My hormonal levels never changed throughout my treatment and I fell way below baseline. In fact, I was only experiencing minor temporal loss when I started. When I was done, my central part and temples thinned dramatically as with my entire scalp in general. Thankfully the thinning ceased after I quit and I recovered much of my loss. I honestly believe there is something in the drug that stresses the body which induces a telogen effluvium. When you combine Telogen Effluvium and male pattern baldness you're pretty much gonna experience hair loss at an accelerated level. I don't believe there is such a thing as reflex androgenicity, if there is, it certainly wasn't the case for me. Now Dutasteride on the other hand has worked wonders for me. I have not had a negative experience in the two years Ive been on it and my hair is incredible now.

That's an interesting experience. Gives me some hope. How long were you off finasteride before starting dutasteride?

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am not using anything for hair loss right now. After bad reaction to finasteride, I am extremely paranoid of any med and want to avoid them as long as I can. However I am getting increasingly desperate as the pace of recession seems to have increased in the past two years. I will continue to monitor the situation and if things continue to get worse, I will get on some kind of medication. I will probably first try S5 cream as Dr. Proctor has recommended spironolactone cream to those like me who suffer from reflex hyperandrogenicity on finasteride.

There's issues with the cream, I hate to say it. But it's better safe than sorry, in my opinion.

I am fortunate to not have Finasteride side effects.

But when I go higher than one milligram, I do get them. And I do get erectile dysfunction.

You really should see some government studies on the other treatment you're taking. It CAN act as
an anti testosterone agent, if you're not careful.

I admit, I don't know a lot about it. I have not tried S5, so I cannot judge it's effectiveness for my own
scalp/hair density issues.

shulk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dutasteride on the other hand has worked wonders for me. I have not had a negative experience in the two years Ive been on it and my hair is incredible now.

Excuse me for asking, but do you still have a dick? I mean it's a fair question.. Else u cant know for certain that you don't have symptoms regarding penile functionality.

shulk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
"despite having practically no Testosterone and DHT it works perfectly fine."

That is amazing, it is puzzling why some people have side effects down there and some don't even seem affected.

ahmed wolf

Experienced Member
Reaction score
"despite having practically no Testosterone and DHT it works perfectly fine."

That is amazing, it is puzzling why some people have side effects down there and some don't even seem affected.
ya that's wierd hahaha

MrPortugal

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There's issues with the cream, I hate to say it. But it's better safe than sorry, in my opinion.

I am fortunate to not have Finasteride side effects.

But when I go higher than one milligram, I do get them. And I do get erectile dysfunction.

You really should see some government studies on the other treatment you're taking. It CAN act as
an anti testosterone agent, if you're not careful.

I admit, I don't know a lot about it. I have not tried S5, so I cannot judge it's effectiveness for my own
scalp/hair density issues.
You don't have side effects with 1mg, but you start have sides with a high dose what is this dose?

Interesting...