FINASTERIDE POLL- yay or nay

Molecular Help

Established Member
Reaction score
I saw this suggested in another post and thought it would be a good idea. This is a poll for people who are taking or have taken finasteride in the past for hair loss. Hopefully we'll get a lot of clean and useful info out of this one.

1. Do you feel that finasteride was/is effective for you?
2. Did you experience any regrowth? How much if so, and where. Clarify if you believe regrowth was caused by finasteride or another treatment.
3. Has it maintained your hair at baseline (where it was when you started)?
4. Do you reccomend finasteride as the first treatment option for someone with male pattern baldness?
5. Any issues with side effects?
6. How long have you been/ did you take it?
7. Overall: YAY or NAY

Molecular Help

Established Member
Reaction score
I've only been using it for three months, which by all accounts is too early to expect results. So I can't really answer. Only respond if you've taken it for at least 6 months.

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score

yes

2. Did you experience any regrowth? How much if so, and where. Clarify if you believe regrowth was caused by finasteride or another treatment.

yes, at around month 5, hair was better than baseline. regrowth all over top of head. caused by finasteride, am on no other treatments.

at the moment it is below baseline. but it has been at/above baseline at other points in treatment, so am hoping this is a shed. still, concerned though. next few months will tell.

4. Do you reccomend finasteride as the first treatment option for someone with male pattern baldness?

yes. whether looking to regrow or maintain, finasteride should be part of any regimen (unless youve experienced adverse sides from it, which are uncommon).

not really. little dip in libido few weeks after taking. only minor though. levelled out after a few weeks. tiny bit of increase in acne on back. not much though, and countered with benzoyl peroxide 10% cream and antibiotics (always had some acne there anyway, just got marginally worse). definitely worth it for my hair, no complaints.

9 months so far.

YAY

Deaner

Reaction score
Oooh, around 5 months :) That gets my hopes up, hehehe, another couple more months to go and hopefully I'll be seeing some shite on top.

de Gaulle

Reaction score
Molecular Help said:
Yes
Molecular Help said:
Regrowth experienced on the front, temples and top. I am only using Propecia and some Nizoral once or twice a week.
Molecular Help said:
Definit improvement from baseline
Molecular Help said:
Yes
Molecular Help said:
Loss of libido and watery seamen dissapeared at month 3
Molecular Help said:
14 months
Molecular Help said:
YAY

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
de gaulle - how did your shedding pattern go, if you had one at all? 14 months and happy sounds good...did you go through big sheds, how long did they last, and at what points did you see shedding and regrowth? many thanks

20sometingtoo

Established Member
Reaction score
YES

2. Did you experience any regrowth?
YES, amazing results within one year.

YES, I had general thinning and it was becoming noticable at the vertex. It worked wonders for a while. Havent taken anything else.

YES

Not really.

Going on 3 years - I believe it is losing its efficacy however.

7. Overall: YAY or NAY[/quote]
Resounding YAY.

Deaner

Reaction score
Losing efficacy as in you're not seeing any more regrowth, or you're actually getting closer to baseline again?

de Gaulle

Reaction score
youngguy_uk said:
de gaulle - how did your shedding pattern go, if you had one at all? 14 months and happy sounds good...did you go through big sheds, how long did they last, and at what points did you see shedding and regrowth? many thanks

youngguy,

My shed wasn't too bad. I started shedding by month 3 for about 2 to 3 months then my hairloss completely stopped by month 6.

Also, I progressively dropped the use of Minoxidil while starting Propecia so this could have accentuated the shed.

Otherwise, my hairloss is pretty mild but it started when I was about 22... I am now 33 and I started minoxidil 4 years ago.

Check "My Story" for more detail.

Cheers.

de Gaulle

20sometingtoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Deaner said:
Losing efficacy as in you're not seeing any more regrowth, or you're actually getting closer to baseline again?

I've basically gone all the way back to square one over the past six months. Its not terribly noticable since my hair is long, but I have a serious diffuse problem now.

Rawbbie

Established Member
Reaction score

-Yes.

Yes. My temples have filled in. Finasteride is the reason.

-Yes.

-Yes.

-None.

-3 months so far.

-YAY.

Bottom line, again: get on it the minute you realize your hair is receding. If you wait, your results will be less.

kevin5er

Reaction score
i'm a diffuse thinner, ive been on finasteride for 8 months
- no side effects except the first month
- have seen no benefit, my hair has contiued to thin
- tried to use minoxidil 5% along side of it, and folligen but they both irritated my scalp to the point that it was unbearable

i would say yea if you can afford it, from what ive read most people have had success (im unlucky i guess). Ive also heard that sometimes it takes a year before you notice any results, so im still hopefull.

G

yep

regrowth yes, using minoxidil also so hard to tell if the finasteride caused the regrowth

see above

yes

slight loss of money, nothing else

one whole of your hairloss years

yay