Finasteride or avodart for diffuse?

Jonah

My Regimen
Reaction score
My experience with finasteride was that I got reflex hyperandrogenicity. So it didn't work for me. This, however, is quite rare. I would say that finasteride is still worth a shot for most people. Don't expect much regrowth unless you are like 20. Combined with minoxidil you may have some decent regrowth.

I'm not totally sure about the side effects. I have heard that statistic but part of it just doesn't make sense since dutasteride is much more powerful and has an extremely long half life.

For most people, I would generally suggest finasteride to start with before jumping to dutasteride.
Hey, i also got reflex hyperandrogenicity. How are you doing now? Has the shedding stopped?

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey, i also got reflex hyperandrogenicity. How are you doing now? Has the shedding stopped?
Long story. I believe I was just going through a temporary shed. Hormones go in waves and cycles. My advice is to try to ride it out if you can. If finasteride works at first, stay on it, and if you are having a long brutal shed, then I would try adding something like RU or upgrading your minoxidil regimen before considering dutasteride.

Jonah

My Regimen
Reaction score
Long story. I believe I was just going through a temporary shed. Hormones go in waves and cycles. My advice is to try to ride it out if you can. If finasteride works at first, stay on it, and if you are having a long brutal shed, then I would try adding something like RU or upgrading your minoxidil regimen before considering dutasteride.
Thanks. What other classic symptoms of reflex hyperandrogenicity did you have? (How long was your shed for?)

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
And once you quit finasteride, how long until these symptoms subsided, specifically the shedding?
A couple months. It was frustrating. Long story but I switched my regimen around a few times. Dutasteride was the same way, it worked the first few months but then I got a shed that was way worse than finasteride, the worst my hair has ever been. Upregulation no doubt, VERY itchy scalp. Finally I've been off that for a few months now, I'm back on finasteride and the itch is gone. Hair is finally improving again. I will also say RU is key in reducing itch. Keto 2% will give some relief too, as well as get rid of oils for a much longer than 1% in my experience.

Jonah

My Regimen
Reaction score
A couple months. It was frustrating. Long story but I switched my regimen around a few times. Dutasteride was the same way, it worked the first few months but then I got a shed that was way worse than finasteride, the worst my hair has ever been. Upregulation no doubt, VERY itchy scalp. Finally I've been off that for a few months now, I'm back on finasteride and the itch is gone. Hair is finally improving again. I will also say RU is key in reducing itch. Keto 2% will give some relief too, as well as get rid of oils for a much longer than 1% in my experience.
Ok much appreciated. I took finasteride for 3.5 months. 1mg per day. I have solid hair genes in family (was a huuge mistake to to finasteride). Shedding started around august 15th. Iv been off it for 3 weeks. (Since sep 25th). Heavy shedding, oily scalp, increased libido, tingly but not heavily irritated scalp. What do you think my future is like, based on your research and others similar cases of RH? I def wont touch another dht blocker, but i would be willing to try other treatments. I have plenty of money set aside. What are your thoughts?

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok much appreciated. I took finasteride for 3.5 months. 1mg per day. I have solid hair genes in family (was a huuge mistake to to finasteride). Shedding started around august 15th. Iv been off it for 3 weeks. (Since sep 25th). Heavy shedding, oily scalp, increased libido, tingly but not heavily irritated scalp. What do you think my future is like, based on your research and others similar cases of RH? I def wont touch another dht blocker, but i would be willing to try other treatments. I have plenty of money set aside. What are your thoughts?
Usually there is a initial shed during the first 3 months or so before it slows down. Most people see some improvement from 3-6 months or so. My major shed didn't happen until around 18 months. I think you should have tried staying the course. Have you been on minoxidil? Where is your hair loss and how severe is it?

Jonah

My Regimen
Reaction score
Usually there is a initial shed during the first 3 months or so before it slows down. Most people see some improvement from 3-6 months or so. My major shed didn't happen until around 18 months. I think you should have tried staying the course. Have you been on minoxidil? Where is your hair loss and how severe is it?
Right i hear that. I would gladly take the head of hair thag i have now. Im probably at like a norwood .5 or 1 on the left temple and norwood 0 (mature hairline) om the right. I have had diffuse thinning throughout the crown due to the last 2 months of shedding but its not real noticeable. So again, i would happily keep what i have. Im just wondering when this RH shed will stop (consider that its NOT coming from typical gentics since like i mentioned i have very good genes on both sides of family).
I haven’t tried minoxidil.

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Right i hear that. I would gladly take the head of hair thag i have now. Im probably at like a norwood .5 or 1 on the left temple and norwood 0 (mature hairline) om the right. I have had diffuse thinning throughout the crown due to the last 2 months of shedding but its not real noticeable. So again, i would happily keep what i have. Im just wondering when this RH shed will stop (consider that its NOT coming from typical gentics since like i mentioned i have very good genes on both sides of family).
I haven’t tried minoxidil.
Give minoxidil a shot.

Jonah

My Regimen
Reaction score
Give minoxidil a shot.
Ok will def do! I feel like my only hope is based on 2 things: 1) that i have good genes 2) go for NON dht treatment to help ride through this period until my hormones get back in sync. (Although i heard that RH can possibly permanently change your androgen receptors.)
What are your thoughts on that and how about yourself? Where is your hair holding now?

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok will def do! I feel like my only hope is based on 2 things: 1) that i have good genes 2) go for NON dht treatment to help ride through this period until my hormones get back in sync. (Although i heard that RH can possibly permanently change your androgen receptors.)
What are your thoughts on that and how about yourself? Where is your hair holding now?
I’m really not sure if it’s permanent or not. My hair has been improving since stopping dutasteride and incorporating RU. But try minoxidil first since you are already a low Norwood and don’t want to mess with AAs.

Jonah

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m really not sure if it’s permanent or not. My hair has been improving since stopping dutasteride and incorporating RU. But try minoxidil first since you are already a low Norwood and don’t want to mess with AAs.
Ye exactly my thoughts. Im petrified of anything related to dht ar-5 and anti androgens. Ever heard of Dr Amiyah Prasad. He has his “famed” prp + acell . Costs around 4.5k. Technically sounds perfect for my case. But im always super cautious now. I have a consultation set up with in a couple of weeks.

what do you think about other stimulation treatments other than minoxidil? Such as prp, lllt ?

Jonah

My Regimen
Reaction score
Also, keto shampoo 2% if you can
Ye so iv actually been on keto 2% for years actually. Just for healthy clean scalp. I actually have seen in the forums that if you have RH then keto may work against you as it is also an anti androgen, and i should be avoiding anything dht androgen related in order to get my hormones back on track.

NewHope

My Regimen
Reaction score
you didn't have any kind of downfall before starting finasteride?