Finasteride or avodart for diffuse?

Purvis

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys. Im 25 yo. I used finasteride 2 years ago. for 3 months. It had no side effects, but I neglected the treatment because I was into career planning. Now, want to ask you after 2 years , do you think it would work if i restarted finasteride? Some people say that dutasteride has no side effects. Does Dutasteride make more sense?
I have diffuse thinning, front is good. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_11.jpg
    Screenshot_11.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:

Fontaine

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am wondering the same thing. If dutasteride is more suitable for diffuse thinners.

Doingitright

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am diffuse on the sides and top or was before treatment, tried finasteride kept and thickened everywhere got greedy so jumped on dutasteride and experienced nothing but shedding and more diffuse thinning in problem areas for months, switched back and recovered. Works for some but I suspect I am sensitive to the increase in test it causes as are many.

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dutasteride usually helps in the vertex area and diffuse. It's more risky along the hairline. @Doingitright is correct that sometimes the increased test can be a problem for some. The way to combat this is with a topical AA or topical E. Aside from that, I'd highly recommend oral minoxidil. If you are not willing to take that then you should still give the topical a shot because it seems to work very well close to the vertex.

Purvis

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

@Doingitright
I've heard that too. But this is strange. Fluctuation is also less in dutasteride. I guess it's because of the increased testosterone as @Norwoody said. So, do you recommend finasteride? Did you experience regrowth?

Purvis

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dutasteride usually helps in the vertex area and diffuse. It's more risky along the hairline. @Doingitright is correct that sometimes the increased test can be a problem for some. The way to combat this is with a topical AA or topical E. Aside from that, I'd highly recommend oral minoxidil. If you are not willing to take that then you should still give the topical a shot because it seems to work very well close to the vertex.
Exactly my problem vertex and diffusee too. They say the side effect of Dutasteride is less. Is this true ?
Would you suggest starting with dutasteride instead of finasteride?

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
My experience with finasteride was that I got reflex hyperandrogenicity. So it didn't work for me. This, however, is quite rare. I would say that finasteride is still worth a shot for most people. Don't expect much regrowth unless you are like 20. Combined with minoxidil you may have some decent regrowth.

Exactly my problem vertex and diffusee too. They say the side effect of Dutasteride is less. Is this true ?
Would you suggest starting with dutasteride instead of finasteride?
I'm not totally sure about the side effects. I have heard that statistic but part of it just doesn't make sense since dutasteride is much more powerful and has an extremely long half life.

For most people, I would generally suggest finasteride to start with before jumping to dutasteride.

Purvis

My Regimen
Reaction score
My experience with finasteride was that I got reflex hyperandrogenicity. So it didn't work for me. This, however, is quite rare. I would say that finasteride is still worth a shot for most people. Don't expect much regrowth unless you are like 20. Combined with minoxidil you may have some decent regrowth.

I'm not totally sure about the side effects. I have heard that statistic but part of it just doesn't make sense since dutasteride is much more powerful and has an extremely long half life.

For most people, I would generally suggest finasteride to start with before jumping to dutasteride.
You are a good guy. Thank you for your advice. Im 25 yo. But i think I lost most of the volume of my hair within 1.5 years. It is enough if i go back to 1.5 - 2 years ago. :p

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
You are a good guy. Thank you for your advice. Im 25 yo. But i think I lost most of the volume of my hair within 1.5 years. It is enough if i go back to 1.5 - 2 years ago. :p
Chances are probably decent. You should apply minoxidil foam as well.

DarkHairHair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I guarantee you that oral minoxidil will help you
Yes maybe but im afraid of side effect
In relation to the heart and I have also heard that the minoxidil has an impact on the collagen of the skin which results in the aging of the skin.

And I can't see myself taking oral minoxidil for the rest of my life.

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes maybe but im afraid of side effect
In relation to the heart and I have also heard that the minoxidil has an impact on the collagen of the skin which results in the aging of the skin.

And I can't see myself taking oral minoxidil for the rest of my life.
Then here are your options:

- Bica + gyno surgery

- Hair piece

- Shave it

- Transplant

Thinning Sucks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I’ve been on finasteride 20 years and now trying just adding a few 5mg tabs to my minoxidil. I tried a few times with dutasteride capsules and it seemed my hair loss got worse...so will see.

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It might help for a year or two then oral minoxidil falls off of a cliff
This might be true. The key is to have some other treatments going for a compound effect though, in order to maintain those gains and prevent the miniaturization process. Ex., If dutasteride isn't working for him now, it actually might be beneficial for maintaining OM gains though.

Purvis

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve been on finasteride 20 years and now trying just adding a few 5mg tabs to my minoxidil. I tried a few times with dutasteride capsules and it seemed my hair loss got worse...so will see.
Oh, good. So, whats ur finasteride brand? Would you suggest to buy 5 mg and divide?

Rudolphus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dutasteride is a more effective treatment than finasteride for male pattern baldness, as has been shown in studies. This is true for recession as well as diffuse loss. Dutasteride will have a better chance of regrowing hair in all areas of your head where you have lost hair. Both dutasteride and finasteride cause an increase in testosterone. Dutasteride increases testosterone slightly more than finasteride does, but the negative effect on the hair of the greater increase in testosterone from dutasteride is greatly overpowered by the positive effect on the hair of its greater inhibition of DHT. Dutasteride removes significantly more DHT than finasteride, and DHT is many times more destructive to the hair follicles than testosterone. Anyone who wants to use the most powerful weapon against hair loss currently available (short of tranny drugs, which are not a viable option for normal men) should opt for dutasteride.

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dutasteride is a more effective treatment than finasteride for male pattern baldness, as has been shown in studies. This is true for recession as well as diffuse loss. Dutasteride will have a better chance of regrowing hair in all areas of your head where you have lost hair. Both dutasteride and finasteride cause an increase in testosterone. Dutasteride increases testosterone slightly more than finasteride does, but the negative effect on the hair of the greater increase in testosterone from dutasteride is greatly overpowered by the positive effect on the hair of its greater inhibition of DHT. Dutasteride removes significantly more DHT than finasteride, and DHT is many times more destructive to the hair follicles than testosterone. Anyone who wants to use the most powerful weapon against hair loss currently available (short of tranny drugs, which are not a viable route for normal men) should opt for dutasteride.
You fogot about the cancer pills and low blood pressure tablets as an off-label treatment. Lol!