Finasteride only worked for 18 months wtf?

Jim lahey

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Been on finasteride for 18 months and minoxidil and ketoconazole for much longer and have gotten great regrowth and maintenance. But I have been a little sloppy with dosages especially with minoxidil and started going through a shed like I normally do when I lower my minoxidil dose but I never usually notice any significant hair loss. But I recently got back to doing it pretty regularly not much reduction in shedding yet but I'm taking a big hit to my hairline and it seems to be going pretty fast they say finasteride should work for at least 5 years so wtf.

joeblack2017

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It doesn't work forever. Maybe your balding genetics has caught up faster that it should over time. Been on it for 2 years, and after having recovered after 1 year, it doesn't grew any new hair, just maintained what I have on my head.

winning_da_fight

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been on finasteride for 10 years plus. If it works you can keep going pretty much forever, i have seen it compared to birth control it doesn't matter how long you are on it it continues working forever. Of course if you have very aggressive hair loss genes unfortunately you are out of luck, but for those who are good responders to finasteride you can keep going for many many years.
I am now almost 40 and i am the only one in my family to make it to that age with a norwood 2.

khmr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your problem may be minoxidil shedding. Minoxidil doesnt always provide hair sometimes it causes shedding but later this problem is solved.

Jim lahey

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your problem may be minoxidil shedding. Minoxidil doesnt always provide hair sometimes it causes shedding but later this problem is solved.
Ya I've been going through a pretty bad shed for the past months I sometimes go through sheds on minoxidil but usually not this bad I think it's because I have been really slacking on it and not applying it as regularly like sometimes missing days in a row and only using once day some days actually alot of days.

bluestar99

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been on finasteride for 10 years plus. If it works you can keep going pretty much forever, i have seen it compared to birth control it doesn't matter how long you are on it it continues working forever. Of course if you have very aggressive hair loss genes unfortunately you are out of luck, but for those who are good responders to finasteride you can keep going for many many years.
I am now almost 40 and i am the only one in my family to make it to that age with a norwood 2.
Hi, I was just wondering why you decided take 1.25mg of the finasteride instead of less like 3 mg a week? I have read that 3 mg her week is sufficient however I also am taking 1.25 mg. Is there any insight you have into taking the 1.5 mg instead of less

bluestar99

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ya I've been going through a pretty bad shed for the past months I sometimes go through sheds on minoxidil but usually not this bad I think it's because I have been really slacking on it and not applying it as regularly like sometimes missing days in a row and only using once day some days actually alot of days.
I started using Rogaine once a day for one month. However I decided to stop using it after this one month. I've seen a bit of shedding since using it. Would you have any insight into what will happen if one uses it for one month and then just abruptly stopped using? He seem very familiar with the medication.

Jim lahey

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've used it and had to stop a few times when I went rehab for 30 days each time what happened was I shedded a sh*t ton and then when I went back on I shedded even more and it took a few months to return to normal. Idk about just using it for one month and stopping you would probably shed alot because you're messing up your hair cycles and losing any little gain you made in that month. I would continue using it unless you have intolerable sides it was well worth it in my experience.

WinningTheFight

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering why you decided take 1.25mg of the finasteride instead of less like 3 mg a week? I have read that 3 mg her week is sufficient however I also am taking 1.25 mg. Is there any insight you have into taking the 1.5 mg instead of less
Its simple i buy the 5mg generic if i cut it in 4 i end up with 1.25mg. Its a bit more than 1mg which is fine and thank god it has been working the magic.

jazz1

Reaction score
I been on Topical Finasteride since 2010 still working for me, did you switch brands by any chance? As this is common for Finasteride loss, plus poor diet or stress lifestyle.