finasteride not working anymore - what to do?

drdowdz

Reaction score
I've been on 1mg finasteride for a few years now.

I just looked at a picture from 2 years ago and realized that my hairline has significantly thinned and lost hair at the temples and getting closer to the center.

What do I do from here? Is there something else I can take in addition or alternatively that is stronger? Do I just need to accept that I'm going to keep losing hair at this point?

whatintheworld

Reaction score
Finasteride is not a magic bullet. I have continued to recede on it, but at a much slower pace. I have even added minoxidil to my hairline but it hasn't seemed to do much.

However, you can be sure if you weren't on it, your rate of loss would be much faster. If you have some pictures it would be easier to discern what you mean by "significantly".

RogerRock

My Regimen
Reaction score
What dose did you take? What about your lifestyle? Do you use alcohol, drugs or tobacco on frequent base? How is your nutrition and stress management? What Norwood were you when you started with finasteride? Do you wash your hair every day with poor shampoo? And even more than 20-30 questions I could aso you which all could potentially affect the rate of your hair loss

drdowdz

Reaction score
What dose did you take? What about your lifestyle? Do you use alcohol, drugs or tobacco on frequent base? How is your nutrition and stress management? What Norwood were you when you started with finasteride? Do you wash your hair every day with poor shampoo? And even more than 20-30 questions I could aso you which all could potentially affect the rate of your hair loss

I've been taking 1mg for a few years.

Since the pandemic very minimal alcohol. No drugs or tobacco.

Nutrition is good. Complex carbs, vegetables, proteins.

I only wash my hair with shampoo twice a week. Condition 3 or 4.

My hair is thick and looks good on the top, side and back but hairline is receding more and more towards the middle.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
It depend how much are you willing to tolerate the side effects. Next step if you want to go oral, should be dutasteride ( not recommend it ) .
With minoxidil tretinoin is a must .
Ketoconazole shampoo too .

drdowdz

Reaction score
It depend how much are you willing to tolerate the side effects. Next step if you want to go oral, should be dutasteride ( not recommend it ) .
With minoxidil tretinoin is a must .
Ketoconazole shampoo too .

why is dutasteride not recommended?

What is treinoin? Haven't heard of that before

jazz1

Reaction score
I been on Topical Finasteride since 2010 still working for me, did you switch brands by any chance? As this is common for Finasteride loss, plus poor diet or stress lifestyle.

RogerRock

My Regimen
Reaction score
I been on Topical Finasteride since 2010 still working for me, did you switch brands by any chance? As this is common for Finasteride loss, plus poor diet or stress lifestyle.
What is working for you? Regrowth? Or maintenance?

jazz1

Reaction score

jazz1

Reaction score
People lose ground after switching brands? Should we be switching back?
100% I have read over the past 10 years as I been on all forums and that’s always the case. I recently helped another guy where his Hairloss clinic switched the brands to generic and charged him the same without him knowing all this stuff. Than he messaged me and went back on Merck brand, all his shedding stopped, which he initially used 3 years prior.