Finasteride May Age You. Study Confirmed.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Were you using Minoxidil too? That's the likely culprit of the bags and aging. I've had the same thing happen this year before I started fina, I've been using minoxidil for years.

I was using minoxidil everyday for five years before I even started finasteride. No aging at all.

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use finasteride, i use minoxidil and no sides + looking younger. used 1.5mg of finasteride daily and 16% minoxidil with 0 sides but also with 0 benefits. I keep my doses now like 0.7mg finasteride EOD and about 0.5ml minoxidil once a day. And towarding to NW1.5 probably in next year ill land on NW1 plannet.

EDIT : 0 benefits i meant thats i didnt had better results than "standard" doses

Reactions: br1

Jyn

Reaction score
After reviewing old photos I came to the conclusion that's not true. Either that or I was genetically pre-dispossed to suddenly have them starting around May this year.

Dark circles can form as we age as we lose the facial fat padding between the thin undereye skin and those blood vessels there. Since minoxidil stimulates subcutaneous blood flow, I can see a mechanism where it could cause dark circles as those blood vessels are more prominent and brought more to the surface.

Finjunkie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol this study is only done on people with side effects. No control group of those without, or even one of people not taking finasteride! I wouldn't even call it a study, you can't make conclusions with any statistical significance without control groups.

What if finasteride is more likely to cause side effects in those with premature aging? Sounds pretty feasible to me, since aging increases the side effect profiles of almost everything. This study is crap

HairCook

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol this study is only done on people with side effects. No control group of those without, or even one of people not taking finasteride! I wouldn't even call it a study, you can't make conclusions with any statistical significance without control groups.

What if finasteride is more likely to cause side effects in those with premature aging? Sounds pretty feasible to me, since aging increases the side effect profiles of almost everything. This study is crap

70% of papers are anyways worthless, written in some basement to get themselves some attention and fill the list of publications to get jobs.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi

I'm one of those individuals that has been convinced that finasteride made my
Look older, particularly with regard to dark shadows under my eyes.

I've recently found the attached from a study, and wondering, what are the irreversible effects from androgen inhibition that they refer to????

It seems as though finasteride use can in fact age you. And has been used to explain PFS as early onset andropause.

Many different things will cause wrinkles under the eyes.

In fact, it can be a direct result of age. The fat deposits around our eyes eventually go away. We cannot just
find one thing and blame it on that.

americanjosh

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi

I'm one of those individuals that has been convinced that finasteride made my
Look older, particularly with regard to dark shadows under my eyes.

I've recently found the attached from a study, and wondering, what are the irreversible effects from androgen inhibition that they refer to????

It seems as though finasteride use can in fact age you. And has been used to explain PFS as early onset andropause.

that study you cite is foreign and has TYPOS! I would not rely on it for information. In addition, any study without a double blinded control group with at least 50 studies is junk, as well as studies that meet these criteria that are not repeatable. If you search online, there are a ton of studies that are complete garbage. In fact, pay attention to key words like "theorize, believe, suspect, etc" as these are not difinitive findings, but possibilities that could very easily be proven wrong in a properly conducted study.

Most people who have the issues you experience cannot definitively point to a singular cause. Aging and genetics are the major contributors to these matters. People have a wide variation in skin thickness, eslasticity, etc. - all of which change (not for the better) as we age. In fact, because propecia blocks DHT, this should result in BETTER skin. DHT can also block your skin’s elastin production. “Elastin allows the skin to remain tight and youthful, preventing sagging and thinning of the skin,” says New York dermatologist Eric Schweiger, MD. As if all that wasn’t enough, “DHT plays a role in hair growth and hair loss for both women and men,” says Dr. Schweiger. “Medications, such as Propecia, block the production of DHT, in order to prevent androgenetic alopecia, or genetic hair loss.”

americanjosh

My Regimen
Reaction score
90% chance they were all using Minoxidil. I've had the dark circles under my eyes most of this year and I only started fina a month ago, I got the dark circles when I upped my dose or minoxidil to over my entire balding scalp. I've been trying to fight them, I've done a good job till today, I got dehydrated yesterday when I decided I wanted to load creatine (long story). The first photo is from a couple months ago before I got on fina, the second is after increasing my hydration and a bunch of other stuff (and starting fina--still a while to go on the dark circles but progress is being made).

If you are over 30, what I see in you is normal aging. Genetics can very well result in the look of your eyes. If you are unhappy with the look you can get a blepharoplasty to fix your eye bags.

Did you ever smoke? Do you drink? What other health issues do/did you have? Can we see photos of your relatives, two generations back, so we can judge if this is likely genetic?

Last edited:

abcdefg

Reaction score
Its possible but that picture says nothing. Lower DHT in spinal fluid in 2 people long after quitting finasteride. What was there DHT before they started? Maybe it was always low. If your going to scientifically claim something at least give the relevant measurements proving it happens. I dont even see that.
I think its possible though, but we dont know enough to say either way.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Time will age you too. And spending more time outside instead of in-front of the PC will also help you with dark circles under your eyes.

Actually time outside is much worse for you then sitting in front of a PC technically. The real killer is sun light slowly baking your skin and DNA over the years. Even in winter or cloudy its always there. Sun screen doesnt prevent or stop sun damage no matter how strong it is.

lukedorian

Reaction score
Totally when taking it everyday i looked my best regarding the hair but the worst regarding my overall appearance, people looked at my wasted over all physique instead of my full head of thick hair, OMG i was so wasted, looking like a f*****g zombie, by that time i also was taking dutasteride 1 capsule on mondays, propecia rest of the days.
couples of years after that i decided to cut back to 1 mg 3 times per week, dropped dutasteride, hair still great i also noticed a lot of improvement in over all appearance, recently couple of months ago cut it to 1 mg twice per week, hair still great and i have been noticing a lot more improvement in over all appearance, face looking less hollow, under eyes dark circles are just vanishing, all the time thought reading that it was because of minoxidil that for sure something has to do with it, but is androgen reduction what makes the issue worse.
To sum it all ip finasteride is poison and i encourage everyone to cut the dose to the minimum possible and you´ll see great improvement in your daily activities, better sleep, skin quality
PS: i decided to cut doses after 2 hairtransplants from DUPA, 500 grafts per procedure so it was a minimum area to cover, just fixing hair line and mid scalp, i see no thining at all