finasteride makes me lose my voice!!!!

Hoppi

Reaction score
Does anyone else have this? I did find one other person who experienced the same thing as they are a singer on Propecia, and noticed their voice just went much worse while on the drug. I mean, people have to understand that if you are changing hormonal levels of DHT and inhibiting 5ar, I'm sure one or both of those affects the male voice box, which probably matures and is possibly maintained by the adolescence-focused male hormone.

But yeah, back when I was on finasteride more, I was just walking along, chatting to a friend, and my voice just DIED lol, I had to have a drink and stuff to make it ok again lol

And recently it's been steadily better, still weak if I am singing along with something or whatever for a prolonged period. But then I went back on finasteride again and BANG, my voice turns to total crap. I lost it totally randomly while chatting to someone from my back on the phone (well, I say lost, but it just went really weak and I had to swallow a couple of times lol). And it's just more hoarsey and generally poorer.

But yeah, before I kept telling myself I was imagining it, but now I am pretty much 100% convinced it was the finasteride. Ever in town I kept feeling it getting weak when talking to people.

I really don't think my body likes finasteride very much at all :(

Todd

Established Member
Reaction score
If you were to be castrated now, your voice would still remain masculine. The adam's apple and plica vocalis in men are formed during puberty, and are anatomical strucutres, completly oblivious to any endocrine changes.

This is why transgender patients often have voice altering surgery.

Hoppi

Reaction score
I know like, someone else made a similar point but... I was still losing my voice for the first time in years.. both times I took it lol

I tried to find what that singer wrote about their voice deteriorating while on finasteride but I couldn't this time round.

I dunno I mean, it's one of those situations where in theory it shouldn't happen, but in practice it REALLY does seem to, I can promise that if I took finasteride again my voice would become very poor quite quickly!

I've just accepted it as one of those things!

Hoppi

Reaction score
I don't mind if you don't believe me, I just posted it because it was weird and I thought it would make for an interesting thread lol

It is true though, I wouldn't post it if it didn't happen.

GeminiX

Reaction score
Todd said:
If you were to be castrated now, your voice would still remain masculine. The adam's apple and plica vocalis in men are formed during puberty, and are anatomical strucutres, completly oblivious to any endocrine changes.

This is why transgender patients often have voice altering surgery.

Technically, voice surgery is still quite rare due to the limited success of the procedures and the fact that even the very best of the handful of surgeons in the world who performs the procedure is still perfecting the technique.

That being said, for the reasons you mention there is significant demand for the surgery as it is so very hard to change your voice. The science about the changes in voice are bang on; pills *DO NOT AND CANNOT* change your voice..

@Cassin, I'm going to a write a script for ths site which will automatically add a disclaimer to Hoppi's posts :)

Cassin

Reaction score
Hoppi said:
I don't mind if you don't believe me, I just posted it because it was weird and I thought it would make for an interesting thread lol

It is true though, I wouldn't post it if it didn't happen.

you're an internet attention wh*** and we both know you're posting bull sh*t

Hoppi

Reaction score
I only posted it because

a) I experienced it (and I am not the kind to lose my voice easily, I have quite a strong voice)

b) It is not the first case of this happening on the internet

c) It's a weird thing and I thought it might.. yeah, catch people's eye and be an interesting side effect lol

The joke is it's just crazy how quickly people push something aside without any medical or biological reasoning. Like that guy who turned blue by ingesting too much colloidal silver - I'll bet there were a hell of a lot of people who said that couldn't happen! Unless you can map out each and every effect of finasteride in the body, why be so closed-minded?

However, I know this is an argument I cannot win, tis like arguing with a brick wall, as usual ¬_¬

Enjoy the thread...

Ende

Reaction score
GeminiX said:
That being said, for the reasons you mention there is significant demand for the surgery as it is so very hard to change your voice. The science about the changes in voice are bang on; pills *DO NOT AND CANNOT* change your voice..
No doubt you know a lot more than me on the subject, but that isn't entirely true, is it? Androgenic steroids can change the voice in females, and it's said to be non reversible, so I guess it doesn't go the other way around.

GeminiX

Reaction score
Enden said:
GeminiX said:
No doubt you know a lot more than me on the subject, but that isn't entirely true, is it? Androgenic steroids can change the voice in females, and it's said to be non reversible, so I guess it doesn't go the other way around.

Ah yes, my bad and you're absolutely correct. I'm referring to male to female and the changes to a natal male voice during puberty which is not reversable through medication.

In female to male transsexuals the male hormones trigger the same changes as natal male experiences in puberty.

Apologies for the confusion :)

Cassin

Reaction score
Hoppi said:
I only posted it because

a) I experienced it (and I am not the kind to lose my voice easily, I have quite a strong voice)

b) It is not the first case of this happening on the internet

c) It's a weird thing and I thought it might.. yeah, catch people's eye and be an interesting side effect lol

The joke is it's just crazy how quickly people push something aside without any medical or biological reasoning. Like that guy who turned blue by ingesting too much colloidal silver - I'll bet there were a hell of a lot of people who said that couldn't happen! Unless you can map out each and every effect of finasteride in the body, why be so closed-minded?

However, I know this is an argument I cannot win, tis like arguing with a brick wall, as usual ¬_¬

Enjoy the thread...

so you lose your voice and you don't go to the dr? Really? How are you associating it with finasteride?

Maybe you need to explain yourself better

Hoppi

Reaction score
Oh no no not permanently! lol

It's back now xD

It just seems to become very weak when I go on finasteride. The thing is that even though often when I experience sides on things I put them down to paranoia, when you are on the phone to Barclaycard and your voice just randomly dies mid-conversation (when that has NEVER happened to me before in 25 years of life on this planet lol) you do start to question what you might be doing to your body differently recently! lol

It does seem to happen whenever I take finasteride. I could be wrong but, I dunno, it doesn't feel like I was imagining it. This isn't designed to be a finasteride horror story or anything, I really just intended it as an interesting anecdote that I genuinely (personally) believe to be true :)

Broken

Reaction score
Yeah, I am experiencing it too. Earlier I could go on & on singing metal at the top of my voice. Now, my voice dies after half an hour. :sobbing: Also, coughing has also increased. But its all Propecia's fault, I am sure it has nothing to do with the fact that I smoke like a chimney all day long. Bad, bad propecia.

Oh & my neighbor's dog died two days back. All propecia's fault. Evil Finasteride!!! :shakehead:

Mhbx

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have the same problem. I've seen this topic previously over the years and I'm shocked how you mock the OP. Truth is, it does cause slight voice problems for some people. The next day I've taken less than 1mg I notice how my voice gets slightly higher (I have a moderate low pitch and am used talking like that). I feel some kind of discomfort in my throat and an urge to clear it when I try to speak up during meetings. Should I mention drying eyes (noticable at a subway station when a train departs or arrives and creates a strong wind flow) and overall decrease in my ability to concentrate, or it will be laughed at? When I stop using the drug orally, my voice comes back to normal in a couple of days.

That is very unfortunate, because Finasteride does a great deal for overall face/head oiliness reduction and stops the hair from shedding.. Topical solutions are no match for the oral consumption :(

genetically_cursed

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have the same problem. I've seen this topic previously over the years and I'm shocked how you mock the OP. Truth is, it does cause slight voice problems for some people. The next day I've taken less than 1mg I notice how my voice gets slightly higher (I have a moderate low pitch and am used talking like that). I feel some kind of discomfort in my throat and an urge to clear it when I try to speak up during meetings. Should I mention drying eyes (noticable at a subway station when a train departs or arrives and creates a strong wind flow) and overall decrease in my ability to concentrate, or it will be laughed at? When I stop using the drug orally, my voice comes back to normal in a couple of days.

That is very unfortunate, because Finasteride does a great deal for overall face/head oiliness reduction and stops the hair from shedding.. Topical solutions are no match for the oral consumption :(
absolutely fucked up thing. i experienced it yesterday and it stll continues today, exactly what you described here
discomfort in my throat and an urge to clear it when I try to speak up during meetings
im lost my brother, idk what to do now, wll wait it out for next several days to track how it moves along

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
absolutely fucked up thing. i experienced it yesterday and it stll continues today, exactly what you described here

im lost my brother, idk what to do now, wll wait it out for next several days to track how it moves along

You started treatment somewhat recently, right? Is this your only trouble so far?

genetically_cursed

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You started treatment somewhat recently, right? Is this your only trouble so far?
Yea, man, ive been on it for 9 days, only 0.5mg not even 1mg. So far only that and probably slightly watery sperm. Im gona see how it goes next days, mb it was connected with something else.