Finasteride Makes Me Constantly Tired?

geprads

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a 21 y.o guy who's been suffering from diffuse hair loss since I was 18. Managed to slow it down with hair tonics I got off the supermarket, and just a year ago I ditched the tonic, started using minoxidil (twice a day) and keto (twice a week).
Up to recently, when I started going to the gym often, I notice more pieces of hair in the shower, plus the middle-to-front part of my head thinning a bit more (my hairline is still fine, though). I then consulted a dermatologist, who prescribed me with Finasteride (I use an Indonesian brand called Finpro) 1mg, taken once a day.
First few days of using finasteride, I notice less hair on my pillow and shower, less small hair falling out, too. No noticeable issues when it comes to sex drive and whatnot. However, the last 3 days I feel like I've been waking up less energized, and right after I take finasteride (usually around 2-4pm) I would feel drowsy and brain-fogged, and it's starting to disturb my work https://www.baldtruthtaIk.com/images/smilies/frown.gif
Should I do anything regarding the finasteride intake? I've been thinking about reducing the dosage to .5 mg, but I read that it's not gonna change the side effects. Or should I take finasteride 3x a week instead of everyday? Or will the sides eventually go away after prolonged usage?

Cheers

LicoriceSucks

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride is interesting because it works pretty much the same across ALL DOSAGES.

There is no reason to take Finasteride daily, I used to take it daily until I read a few more of the posts about Finasteride on this forum.
Finasteride blocks DHT receptors for about 3 days.
I take 1mg every 3 days.

Yes, I feel like I have less desire to exercise while on Finasteride. I don't feel "tired" or sleepy per se, but I don't feel like I have much muscle strength.

Also Finasteride does not give me "brain fog" but it does seem to make me more irritable. I think when you block male hormones in males, it affects their mood negatively. The same thing happens to women in menopause - they often become bitchy and irritable due to their hormones being out of whack.

geprads

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride is interesting because it works pretty much the same across ALL DOSAGES.

There is no reason to take Finasteride daily, I used to take it daily until I read a few more of the posts about Finasteride on this forum.
I take 1mg every 3 days.

Yes, I feel like I have less desire to exercise while on Finasteride. I don't feel "tired" or sleepy per se, but I don't feel like I have much muscle strength.

Also Finasteride does not give me "brain fog" but it does seem to make me more irritable. I think when you block male hormones in males, it affects their mood negatively. The same thing happens to women in menopause - they often become bitchy and irritable due to their hormones being out of whack.

wow, thanks for the insight! How long have you used finasteride? Do you have the link to the info regarding it blocking DHT for 3 days? I'd probably start using it M W F starting next week

doyle11

Established Member
Reaction score
I was on finasteride for about a year and it was the only real side effects I had, fatigue and brain fog. After a while of taking it,it became the new normal. It wasn't until I quit I noticed there was something up. I played around with the dosage, trying .5/ Eod and nothing really made a difference tbh.

MorningGlory

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It makes me tired too, but it will take more than that to stop me taking it. Each time I see a NW7 I’m filled with renewed resolve to take finasteride come what may.

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a 21 y.o guy who's been suffering from diffuse hair loss since I was 18. Managed to slow it down with hair tonics I got off the supermarket, and just a year ago I ditched the tonic, started using minoxidil (twice a day) and keto (twice a week).
Up to recently, when I started going to the gym often, I notice more pieces of hair in the shower, plus the middle-to-front part of my head thinning a bit more (my hairline is still fine, though). I then consulted a dermatologist, who prescribed me with Finasteride (I use an Indonesian brand called Finpro) 1mg, taken once a day.
First few days of using finasteride, I notice less hair on my pillow and shower, less small hair falling out, too. No noticeable issues when it comes to sex drive and whatnot. However, the last 3 days I feel like I've been waking up less energized, and right after I take finasteride (usually around 2-4pm) I would feel drowsy and brain-fogged, and it's starting to disturb my work https://www.baldtruthtaIk.com/images/smilies/frown.gif
Should I do anything regarding the finasteride intake? I've been thinking about reducing the dosage to .5 mg, but I read that it's not gonna change the side effects. Or should I take finasteride 3x a week instead of everyday? Or will the sides eventually go away after prolonged usage?

Cheers
If finasteride makes you feel drowsy shortly after you take it, why not take it at night before you go to sleep? That would seem a better idea than taking it in the middle of your working day.

It is best to take finasteride every day rather than every second or third day. Finasteride has a very short half-life. Although DHT remains suppressed for much longer than the half-life of the pill, DHT levels will still increase slightly from the day you a take a dose of finasteride to the following day, and will increase even more if you wait a second day before taking another pill. The following graph illustrates how DHT levels fluctuate slightly between consecutive daily doses of 5mg finasteride (solid line). Note that it is the DHT from 5AR type 2 that is primarily implicated in hair loss, so the most relevant chart is the last one (chart C), which shows the inhibition of DHT production specifically from 5AR type 2.

9163d8376fb019fc22304a5ff0c20329.png

I take 1mg every 3 days.

See the above graph I posted that illustrates how your DHT levels will fluctuate slightly between consecutive daily doses of 5mg finasteride (solid line). Chart C is the most relevant one, because this chart shows the inhibition of DHT production specifically from 5AR type 2, and it is this DHT that is primarily implicated in hair loss. If you take finasteride every three days, there will be quite significant fluctuation in your DHT levels, which will result in a decrease in effectiveness of the treatment. It could also increase side-effects due to your hormone levels not being at a continually steady-state. Instead of taking finasteride every three days, I would suggest perhaps splitting the pill into three, and taking one third of a pill every day (so basically, 0.33mg each day). Or if its easier, just split it in half and take 0.5mg a day.

Last edited: