[Finasteride] Lowering dose from 1.25 mg to 1 mg

promise

Reaction score
Since 2003 I take 1.25 mg Finasteride per day, with satisfying results! Today I received a call from my GP (I have a new one, because I moved to a different city), she is not willing to prescribe me 5 mg Proscar anymore (or 1 mg Propecia). Finasteride causes hormonal imbalance and is bad for my prostate, was her explanation. I told her I've been using Finasteride for more than 17 years without any (significant) side effects. Nonetheless she won't prescribe it anymore.

It really freaks me out, I just got a hair transplant (3 weeks ago) to restore my hairline and using Finasteride is really important to keep the hair that I have. I can go to another GP but I am afraid I will get the same answer. It is not as easy anymore to get Finasteride prescribed in the Netherlands (Amsterdam).

I told her she forces me to buy Finasteride on the 'black (generic) market'.

Question: Because it is a bit of a hassle to break the 5 mg pills in quarters, I think this is a good moment to switch to the 1 mg variant (dr. Reddys - Finax). Do I risk losing hair, if I lower the dose with 0.25 mg (after 17 years using 1.25 mg)?

Last edited:

Justheretohelp3

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why did she say that? Do you have a hormonal imbalance? Is finasteride not approved for hair loss in the Netherlands?

I don't think it'll make any difference. Propecia is 1 mg and is actually really the dose you should be taking. Splitting the 5 mg (usually generic or prostate cancer drug which is covered by insurance) in quarters into 1.25 mg is just the cost saving option. I've also read that even 0.25 mg of finasteride is effective at reducing DHT levels by close to 70% levels. A bit less than 70% which 1 mg would give you but essentially the same, and that would likely have a negligible impact on your hair loss.

You won't lose hair. It might help you to know that I've been off of finasteride for a year after taking it for 10 years, and I barely lost any in the last year.. some more recession/thinning in the temples area but I'm happy with that cause it's much more than I expected.

Good luck.

Justheretohelp3

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry I should correct myself and say that 0.25 mg of finasteride reduces DHT levels by closer to 65% rather than 70% that 1.25/1 mg would. This is what I've read in a study in the past.

bookie6ix

My Regimen
Reaction score
I take 1.25mg as well and my doctor happily provides me proscar for cost savings reasons.

PeakyBlinderRob

My Regimen
Reaction score
Since 2003 I take 1.25 mg Finasteride per day, with satisfying results! Today I received a call from my GP (I have a new one, because I moved to a different city), she is not willing to prescribe me 5 mg Proscar anymore (or 1 mg Propecia). Finasteride causes hormonal imbalance and is bad for my prostate, was her explanation. I told her I've been using Finasteride for more than 17 years without any (significant) side effects. Nonetheless she won't prescribe it anymore.

It really freaks me out, I just got a hair transplant (3 weeks ago) to restore my hairline and using Finasteride is really important to keep the hair that I have. I can go to another GP but I am afraid I will get the same answer. It is not as easy anymore to get Finasteride prescribed in the Netherlands (Amsterdam).

I told her she forces me to buy Finasteride on the 'black (generic) market'.

Question: Because it is a bit of a hassle to break the 5 mg pills in quarters, I think this is a good moment to switch to the 1 mg variant (dr. Reddys - Finax). Do I risk losing hair, if I lower the dose with 0.25 mg (after 17 years using 1.25 mg)?
If you doctor refuses to give you a prescription, you can most likely get one online for a fee. My Finasteride prescription from a doctor is free in Canada, and the pills are covered free under my health insurance, but I can get it on a website for around $79 CAD for the one year prescription of 5mg Finasteride. I didn't want to wait in waiting room during COVID for a prescription, so I just paid the $79 for the prescription and picked up the pills from a pharmacy in the next 2 days. Does Amsterdam not offer online prescription for Finasteride or Dutasteride?

jazz1

Reaction score