Finasteride lost power after 2 years. Starting dutasteride

A. Monteiro

My Regimen
Reaction score
In the first 2 years, finasteride made my hair stop falling and even grew some. Now after 2 years i started shedding and my hair began receding.
I already added dutasteride and i'm doing an experiment to see how much dutasteride it takes to stop my hair from falling.

1st Month i added 0.5 dutasteride per week- no results
started second month with 0.5 dutasteride twice a week. i'm only going to wait 2 weeks, if it doesn't work i'll go straight to 3 times a week.

Note - i'm using finasteride 1mg a day except for the days i use the dutasteride.

Any opinions are welcome and i'm going to keep you posted.

debyne

Established Member
Reaction score
Why not add min to your finasteride regimen and see how that goes before transitioning to dutasteride? Adding min to finasteride was huge for me and less risky.

A. Monteiro

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, I forgot to mention that I'm also using minoxidil in the morning and evening and a shampoo to calm the scalp. So I guess I only have duties left.
Thanks for the info anyway.

jazz1

Reaction score
When you noticed the decline what did you change? Did you change medication brand?

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, I forgot to mention that I'm also using minoxidil in the morning and evening and a shampoo to calm the scalp. So I guess I only have duties left.
Thanks for the info anyway.
Since you are using growth stimulants, why not microneedeling?

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Right in the 2 year mark.
Nothing, I didn't change anything.
The literature says after 2 years the effects dimm.
I did not yet run into literature saying that effects diminish after 2 years. Rather yiu reach your max potential around the 2 year mark and then plateau from there. A bit of a different view and what to expect. If your hair situation continues to degrade or takes a sudden plunge then your hair so sensitive that it needs more DHT inhibition than propecia can do or you need to address more androgens than just DHT

A. Monteiro

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, it's already noticeable that I lost hair, I've been shedding since February, so it's already noticeable.
That's why I'm adding Dutasteride since it's stronger.
I'm already taking it 3 times a week, let's see how it goes.

otann

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, it's already noticeable that I lost hair, I've been shedding since February, so it's already noticeable.
That's why I'm adding Dutasteride since it's stronger.
I'm already taking it 3 times a week, let's see how it goes.
Good luck, keep us updated!

nyhair19

Established Member
Reaction score
I think so.
Like same day? People often take dutasteride 1x a week with finasteride to start. That is what I am doing, and I am wondering if I should alternate finasteride and dutasteride EOD. finasteride seems to be losing ground after ten years.

User100018

My Regimen
Reaction score
2 years it’s pretty short to switch to Dutasteride. I’ve been on finasteride for about 3 years and had sheddings at the two year mark which then stopped and grew back

A. Monteiro

My Regimen
Reaction score
Like same day? People often take dutasteride 1x a week with finasteride to start. That is what I am doing, and I am wondering if I should alternate finasteride and dutasteride EOD. finasteride seems to be losing ground after ten years.
Currently I'm taking Dutasteride on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, the other days I take finasteride.

A. Monteiro

My Regimen
Reaction score
2 years it’s pretty short to switch to Dutasteride. I’ve been on finasteride for about 3 years and had sheddings at the two year mark which then stopped and grew back
For how long did you shed?
I'm shedding now since February, that's 6 months now, besides I notice the deciding is now noticeable.

nyhair19

Established Member
Reaction score
Currently I'm taking Dutasteride on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, the other days I take finasteride.
How's it working out? That's exactly what I am thinking of doing. 3x dutasteride 4x finasteride. As someone else noted, dutasteride is the nuclear option, so I would rather ease into it.

A. Monteiro

My Regimen
Reaction score
How's it working out? That's exactly what I am thinking of doing. 3x dutasteride 4x finasteride. As someone else noted, dutasteride is the nuclear option, so I would rather ease into it.
Still on 3x dutasteride and 4x finasteride but since last week I added melatonin and collagen and after 1 week I'm shedding less. don't know if its from the dutasteride that's making effect now or if it was the addition of melatonin and collagen or both.
This week I'm doubling the dosage of melatonin to see how it goes.