Finasteride Losing Effect Over Time And Androgen Receptor Upregulation

WangMQ

Established Member
Reaction score
This is an important issue worth particular attention to long term AA users. It's upsetting that the alert received is rare. I'm going to discuss it along with my own story.

I've been using finasteride ever since 2008 winter (with minoxidil). For the first year I got pretty promising regrowth. For the first five years I more or less maintained my hair, even though my temples were slightly thinning (still kept my hairline back then). From early 2015, I started to lose ground on my hair. I started to see increased shedding and itching. And I kept losing miniaturized hair along my hairline. Since 2016 things are totally out of control. I literally climbed at least 1.5 grades upon the Norwood scale within six months ( I had great hair before, Norwood 0.5 hairline with thick hair elsewhere. When I grow it long people even thought I was wearing a wig).

In the meantime, the side effects of finasteride has been building up. For the first three or four years no big deal. Just minor sex related sides. However, since 2013 the mental sides are coming into sight: sleep problems, fatigue, brain fog, mood swings, etc. Having lived quite an unhealthy lifestyle during my fight for degree, I once blamed it all to my poor sleep quality. I even rambled in insomnia forums for help haha. Since I've been doing a lot of readings about the true profound impact of finasteride during the past year, I connected the dots and realized that finasteride caused all these. I lowered the dosage and skipped doses just to test and it confirmed that.

Since I can't take finasteride anymore, I tried microdosing. It seems that the highest amount I'm able to take with no noticeable sides is 0.125 mg ED (1/8 pill). However, at this dosage, I'm feeling it's not helping my hair at all. The itch comes and go everyday and I'm literally shedding the same amount before I started any treatment at all in 2008. But wait, doesn't the Drake et al. study say that even 0.05 mg finasteride is nearly as efficient as 0.2 and 1 mg considering scalp DHT inhibition?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10495374

Isn't that also the reason why quite a few guys of the male pattern baldness communities, such as shulk here and Desmond on BTT. had success with microdosing? Why is it not working for me?

Recently, I've been running into stories of long term AA users losing ground on the same (or even higher) dosage. For example, this:

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=10&threadid=115798

(The guy can't even maintain with dutasteride. He's sticking to it even with terrible sides. We are really desperate at this point)

Here's a study that might explain why:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21557276

Finasteride up regulate androgen receptor with long term usage. That's the reason why the same dosage doesn't work anymore and you have to bring in bigger guns year after year.
Even though finasteride might be just as effective as reducing DHT- let's say full 70% reduction-the remaining 30% can be doing as much damage as the original 100% when AR are upregulated. Let's say you further reduce it by 90% with dutasteride, that 10% left might eventually be as damaging. However, the mental sides that are not related to DHT (but rather other 5AR mediated hormones) are bound to build up, since you've been hitting them with stronger and stronger weapons.

Considering finasteride has only been approved to treat male pattern baldness since 1999 (am I remembering correct?), testimonials longer than 15 years is unlikely. I've been using finasteride for 8 years and I think that's quite something on this scale.

As I read this I feel completely fxxked. I started from the standard 1 mg and I even tried upping it for a few times back out of despair. Now due to clear sides I can't even take 0.2 mg. No wonder why I'm losing as if I'm not on any drugs at all. What's even worse is that my case indicates that the androgen sensitivity in me has already been increased. If I quit finasteride completely I'd be losing even faster than a guy on my Norwood level without any medication. I'm literally kidnapped by this drug.

So I guess there are are few things that new starters should keep in mind before playing with AA drugs:

1. Start from lower dosage and check if it works for you. Don't go higher as long as it still works. 0.2 mg is already very promising for most new starters.

2. Do an estimation of how many years your hair has left before starting this lifetime commitment. Think twice. I, being extremely sensitive to my hair and image, started finasteride at full dosage at the slightest early sign of male pattern baldness. I gave me a few years of glory, but now I'm paying the debt.

3. The sides of finasteride are real. Trust your own body.

I don't mean to let anyone who has a success story to tell stop treatments. But obviously this whole idea of treating hairloss from an upstream and systemic angle is meant to be flawed in the first place. Now it seems that there's not much I can do except waiting for the PGD2 inhibition breakthrough, which deals with the problem at the most downstream stage we currently know.

If by then I still have any hair left. :)

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is an important issue worth particular attention to long term AA users. It's upsetting that the alert received is rare. I'm going to discuss it along with my own story.

I've been using finasteride ever since 2008 winter (with minoxidil). For the first year I got pretty promising regrowth. For the first five years I more or less maintained my hair, even though my temples were slightly thinning (still kept my hairline back then). From early 2015, I started to lose ground on my hair. I started to see increased shedding and itching. And I kept losing miniaturized hair along my hairline. Since 2016 things are totally out of control. I literally climbed at least 1.5 grades upon the Norwood scale within six months ( I had great hair before, Norwood 0.5 hairline with thick hair elsewhere. When I grow it long people even thought I was wearing a wig).

In the meantime, the side effects of finasteride has been building up. For the first three or four years no big deal. Just minor sex related sides. However, since 2013 the mental sides are coming into sight: sleep problems, fatigue, brain fog, mood swings, etc. Having lived quite an unhealthy lifestyle during my fight for degree, I once blamed it all to my poor sleep quality. I even rambled in insomnia forums for help haha. Since I've been doing a lot of readings about the true profound impact of finasteride during the past year, I connected the dots and realized that finasteride caused all these. I lowered the dosage and skipped doses just to test and it confirmed that.

Since I can't take finasteride anymore, I tried microdosing. It seems that the highest amount I'm able to take with no noticeable sides is 0.125 mg ED (1/8 pill). However, at this dosage, I'm feeling it's not helping my hair at all. The itch comes and go everyday and I'm literally shedding the same amount before I started any treatment at all in 2008. But wait, doesn't the Drake et al. study say that even 0.05 mg finasteride is nearly as efficient as 0.2 and 1 mg considering scalp DHT inhibition?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10495374

Isn't that also the reason why quite a few guys of the male pattern baldness communities, such as shulk here and Desmond on BTT. had success with microdosing? Why is it not working for me?

Recently, I've been running into stories of long term AA users losing ground on the same (or even higher) dosage. For example, this:

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=10&threadid=115798

(The guy can't even maintain with dutasteride. He's sticking to it even with terrible sides. We are really desperate at this point)

Here's a study that might explain why:

Finasteride up regulate androgen receptor with long term usage. That's the reason why the same dosage doesn't work anymore and you have to bring in bigger guns year after year.
Even though finasteride might be just as effective as reducing DHT- let's say full 70% reduction-the remaining 30% can be doing as much damage as the original 100% when AR are upregulated. Let's say you further reduce it by 90% with dutasteride, that 10% left might eventually be as damaging. However, the mental sides that are not related to DHT (but rather other 5AR mediated hormones) are bound to build up, since you've been hitting them with stronger and stronger weapons.

Considering finasteride has only been approved to treat male pattern baldness since 1999 (am I remembering correct?), testimonials longer than 15 years is unlikely. I've been using finasteride for 8 years and I think that's quite something on this scale.

As I read this I feel completely fxxked. I started from the standard 1 mg and I even tried upping it for a few times back out of despair. Now due to clear sides I can't even take 0.2 mg. No wonder why I'm losing as if I'm not on any drugs at all. What's even worse is that my case indicates that the androgen sensitivity in me has already been increased. If I quit finasteride completely I'd be losing even faster than a guy on my Norwood level without any medication. I'm literally kidnapped by this drug.

So I guess there are are few things that new starters should keep in mind before playing with AA drugs:

1. Start from lower dosage and check if it works for you. Don't go higher as long as it still works. 0.2 mg is already very promising for most new starters.

2. Do an estimation of how many years your hair has left before starting this lifetime commitment. Think twice. I, being extremely sensitive to my hair and image, started finasteride at full dosage at the slightest early sign of male pattern baldness. I gave me a few years of glory, but now I'm paying the debt.

3. The sides of finasteride are real. Trust your own body.

I don't mean to let anyone who has a success story to tell stop treatments. But obviously this whole idea of treating hairloss from an upstream and systemic angle is meant to be flawed in the first place. Now it seems that there's not much I can do except waiting for the PGD2 inhibition breakthrough, which deals with the problem at the most downstream stage we currently know.

If by then I still have any hair left. :)

Wang,

Thank you for posting such a personal and insightful post. It's good to have these discussions on HairLossTalk.com as they are the very purpose of HairLossTalk.com.

I have a few questions for you:

1) Are you considering trying the PGD2 angle via black market sources?
2) Are you considering trying RU?

The third point is that one thing I learned briefly perusing propeciahelp forums is that a lot of people can recover from the side effects by going on a long-term (14-21 days) water-only fast. It's not clear why this is, it may be that reducing your body fat by ~15 lbs resets the hormones, that a water fast resets your hormone receptors, or that it clears out damage to the gut microbiome caused by finasteride. Fact is people have had success.

I only took finasteride for one month, in that time period I had greatly reduced sleep, and then I stopped finasteride because it's not sensible for someone like myself with a history ED to take finasteride. I'm currently taking minoxidil, stemoxydine, castor oil, and a small dose of RU. I hope to stop most of those once Brotzu's treatment comes out.

monoid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
finasteride sides are definitely real: I have taken finasteride for 3 weeks and it have given me a big brain fog and reduced sleep.

I'm doing fine on RU currently. You should try RU / CB too to antagonize your androgen receptors.

Last edited:

WangMQ

Established Member
Reaction score
Wang,

Thank you for posting such a personal and insightful post. It's good to have these discussions on HairLossTalk.com as they are the very purpose of HairLossTalk.com.

I have a few questions for you:

1) Are you considering trying the PGD2 angle via black market sources?
2) Are you considering trying RU?

The third point is that one thing I learned briefly perusing propeciahelp forums is that a lot of people can recover from the side effects by going on a long-term (14-21 days) water-only fast. It's not clear why this is, it may be that reducing your body fat by ~15 lbs resets the hormones, that a water fast resets your hormone receptors, or that it clears out damage to the gut microbiome caused by finasteride. Fact is people have had success.

I only took finasteride for one month, in that time period I had greatly reduced sleep, and then I stopped finasteride because it's not sensible for someone like myself with a history ED to take finasteride. I'm currently taking minoxidil, stemoxydine, castor oil, and a small dose of RU. I hope to stop most of those once Brotzu's treatment comes out.

Thanks for the advice David!

I already tried RU. It gave me immediate sides even on dosage as low as 20 mg(dizziness, fatigue, chest discomfort). I tried to ride it out and it turned out I got even more sides. It killed my libido and made my chest and heart so sick that I was in total panic. So no way I'm touching it again.

I am looking to black market PGD2 inhibitors indeed. But as you can see in my profile I'm currently in China and I can't get my fingers on seti and OC (Kane doesn't ship to China now to keep his axx safe). I guess I'd give it a try in Sept when I'm in US (for my degree)

As for the sides, I can actually recover fairly well after completely quitting finasteride for less than a week, and the sides are tolerable on 0.125 mg. That's probably the only relief I have right now. But this is also where my dilemma comes from: I can be taking low dose finasteride to buy some (although measly) time, but it would also keep upregulating my ARs supposed that the theory is correct.

I'm doing some reading about natural PGD2 inhibitors right now. It seems pathetic but that's the only thing I can do for my hair now.

Last edited:

monoid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I already tried RU. It gave me immediate sides even on dosage as low as 20 mg(dizziness, fatigue, chest discomfort). I tried to ride it out and it turned out I got even more sides. It killed my libido and made my chest and heart so sick that I was in total panic. So no way I'm touching it again.

I'm sorry to hear that. When you get to US maybe try to get your hands on CB.

WangMQ

Established Member
Reaction score
finasteride sides are definitely real: I have taken finasteride for 3 weeks and it have given me a big brain fog and reduced sleep.

I'm doing fine on RU currently. You should try RU / CB too to antagonize your androgen receptors.

I dunno monoid, I tried RU and the sides were obvious. I tried CB only for a very few times so I'm not sure but I don't think it was doing me any good: it didn't relieve my scalp itch the way RU did, and it gave me headache. I tend to be very sensitive to AAs so if a drug works I'd know.

(And I got my CB from a China local blackmarket source so I wasn't sure about the purity and stuff either. Who knows what they're selling. Who can even be 100% sure what Kane's been selling with those exotic things like seti, OC, Bima, etc.)

monoid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I dunno monoid, I tried RU and the sides were obvious. I tried CB only for a very few times so I'm not sure but I don't think it was doing me any good: it didn't relieve my scalp itch the way RU did, and it gave me headache. I tend to be very sensitive to AAs so if a drug works I'd know.

(And I got my CB from a China local blackmarket source so I wasn't sure about the purity and stuff either. Who knows what they're selling. Who can even be 100% sure what Kane's been selling with those exotic things like seti, OC, Bima, etc.)

Oh you have tried CB before. My batch is coming right now and I'm going to gradually shift from RU to CB.

Be careful with PGD2/CRTH2 receptor inhibitors. I got 5g Seti from Kane and it's definitely messing with my sleep (cannot sleep even at 4AM) at 3%. Probably seti interfered my REM-sleep cycle.

WangMQ

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh you have tried CB before. My batch is coming right now and I'm going to gradually shift from RU to CB.

Be careful with PGD2/CRTH2 receptor inhibitors. I got 5g Seti from Kane and it's definitely messing with my sleep (cannot sleep even at 4AM) at 3%. Probably seti interfered my REM-sleep cycle.
WTF??

Damn I did a quick search and got this:

https://selfhacked.com/2014/10/29/t...BenzodiazepinesPGD2_Inhibitors_and_Most_Herbs

I guess you're right!

It also mentioned three natural supplements I was looking into. Ugh...

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't remember for sure, but I think people suggested topical setipiprant in the morning to reduce the sleep problem.

Kythera is trialling 1mg seti in the morning and at night, we'll have evidence they're an honest company if sleep problems are discussed in their phase II trial results.

By the way when I had my "trying finasteride thread", people were telling me the sleep problems were in my head.

Interesting that fish oil inhibits PGD2. I didn't know that, I take fish oil everyday as it's excellent for general health. I will start taking it in the morning instead of at night. Maybe that will benefit my sleep.

InBeforeTheCure

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Another explanation is that other genes in the network are upregulated as you get older or become more sensitive to being upregulated. Therefore, lower levels of androgens would be needed to hit the critical threshold and complete the circuit of doom.

frenchy

Established Member
Reaction score

bruh that's not the same tissue... its cancerous prostate tissue not scalp... you can't deduce it upregulates AR in scalp

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
bruh that's not the same tissue... its cancerous prostate tissue not scalp... you can't deduce it upregulates AR in scalp
Yeah, there seems to be a lot of extrapolation in the conclusions that WangMQ came to. There are valid explainations for why finasteride would lose effectiveness outside of AR upregulation. As Swoop showed us, older eunuchs lose their hair much faster than younger eunuchs when DHT is administered. This lends creedence to cell apoptosis being linked to age/oxidative stress, leading to hair loss.

Last edited:

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Prostate AR does not = scalp AR. The 10 year+ finasteride studies kinda fly in the face of any notion of AR upregulation in the majority of users.

Reactions: kir

frenchy

Established Member
Reaction score

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Prostate AR does not = scalp AR. The 10 year+ finasteride studies kinda fly in the face of any notion of AR upregulation in the majority of users.
Dench, have you come any closer to understanding the biological mechanism of what happened to you after taking finasteride?

frenchy

Established Member
Reaction score
Dench, have you come any closer to understanding the biological mechanism of what happened to you after taking finasteride?
the scientific term would be " he went full faggy"

Last edited:

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have a boatload of questions that I doubt anyone can answer... 1. To hair follicle androgen receptors become more sensitive or numerous as we age? It is it due to decreased concentration of DHT over time and a form of compensation? Or is the sudden increase in hair loss some people experience about 8 years into treatment due to the cumulative effect of even low levels of DHT over time? Or is it just due to the natural thinning of hair that everyone experiences as they get older. I'm banking on the cumulative effect of DHT over time, so just added dutasteride, but if I'm wrong then that means upregulation...

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Another explanation is that other genes in the network are upregulated as you get older or become more sensitive to being upregulated. Therefore, lower levels of androgens would be needed to hit the critical threshold and complete the circuit of doom.

This.. And also this I guess..

1. Everyone pretty much experiences thinning of the hair shaft with age, jup even non Androgenetic Alopecia people
diameter; http://www.pgscience.com/files/pdf/Dr._Thomas_Dawson/Ch14_Effects_Aging_Flagler_Robbins_Dawson.pdf

Obviously a decrease of like 20 micrometer might have a huge impact, depending on how your density is etc.

2. Androgenetic Alopecia, maybe partly, maybe as a whole is a form of "stress". As you get older cells are weaker, worn out and thus m(think ROS, oxidative stress), inflammation etc. Therefore when one gets older they might succumb to these forms of stress as their threshold is weakened.

3. It is hypothesized that later in life senescence alopecia can set in which can start from age 30 or 40 which is characterized by diffuse hair loss all over the scalp. This might be completely unrelated to Androgenetic Alopecia itself. Meaning that you could suffer from both.

Last edited:

WangMQ

Established Member
Reaction score
To frenchy, Pray The Bald Away, and Dench:

I do realize that it might be a hurry to assume the study on prostate AR also applies to scalp AR. But considering the multiple cases of finasteride losing effectiveness over time including mine, I think this obvious analogy is at least worth discussing.

Also, I mentioned that my scalp has been increasingly oily and itchy as time goes by, especially in the last one year. Doesn't that mean androgens are playing a bigger and bigger role there?

Actually, I do want to be convinced by you guys that AR up regulation is just a myth. That would mean I'd be at least keeping some of my hair with finasteride. But given my experience it's really hard for me to be so...Anyway thanks for the info.

Besides, I'm in my mid-early twenties. It's your prime. I do realize that you can't be keeping the exact same hairline through your twenties even if you don't have male pattern baldness, but I don't think senescent loss is the case here. My hair elsewhere keeps growing like crazy (since I had great hair before male pattern baldness).

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wang,

[I'm breaking my vacation from posting to post in this technical topic]

The reason you have to extrapolate in the case of male pattern baldness is that baldness is a scientific graveyard. There are not a lot of rigorous studies or rigorous researchers. You need to extrapolate and rely on anecdotes because you're not going to get a study investigating every question.

The other day someone suggested 5% minoxidil on the basis that higher dosages have not been demonstrated to work. I dismissed it out of hand ... we're not going to get a study on each individually of 6%, 7%, 8%, once a day, twice a day, etc. You have to extrapolate and rely on anecdotes.

Similarly with finasteride driving up receptors in the prostate. Do you really want to assume it doesn't do so in the scalp, and wait for the study of whether or not receptors are driven up in the scalp -- which might never come?