Finasteride - Is It Really This Expensive ?

and_d

Reaction score
I decided to try propecia / finasteride in the hopes to slow the hair loss down. I went today to pick up my prescription at Walgreens and was shocked at the price (230 for 3 months). Since I'm leaving work to go to school full time the idea of such a high monthly expense sort of shocked me to the point that I refused to take it

Anyway is ~$70 per month typical?

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do not use brand name propecia. sh*t is expensive af. Just buy generic brand, it is the exact same stuff. If you want it really cheap you could ask your doctor to get you a generic brand proscar prescription. I don't use the stuff, but apparently it is even cheaper, and then you just cut it into fourths. I get my 3 month prescription of generic brand finasteride from Costco and it is super cheap. Costs me $35-40 for a 3 month prescription. I have heard Costco is the cheapest place to get it by far though. If you don't have a Costco membership, than I am not sure what the next best option is.

Wowjpk

Reaction score
I buy my finasteride from alldaychemist which is based in India. It's pretty cheap I think like 50-60 for a 6 month serving. Not exactly sure bought my stock a while ago but it's your decision whether you'd wanna be generic from a different country.

jc3303

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
agreed get proscar, I pay $130 for a 6 month prescription of brand name proscar. And this is in Canada were drugs are overpriced

Alk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I get teva 5mg for 10 dollars for 30 pills. Thats 3 months if you cut them into 1.25 mg doses.

hanginginthewire

Reaction score
In some states you don't even have to be a Costco member to use their pharmacy. There are often state regulations that forbid being forced to join or purchase a "club" just to get prescription drugs. Also even if you have to purchase a membership, Costco will refund you the member fee if you don't end up using it in the year.

So yeah, just go to Costco and_d.

Alk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh i go to wallgreens too btw, generic finasteride 10$

and_d

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I'll ask my doctor about Proscar

Costco - I don't have a car so it may be difficult to get to one. I'll have to see if there is any that I can take public transportation to

Oh i go to wallgreens too btw, generic finasteride 10$

Alk, are you using any sort of discount program? I kept asking if it was generic and the pharmacist insisted it was and that the price I had was correct

Alk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I'll ask my doctor about Proscar

Costco - I don't have a car so it may be difficult to get to one. I'll have to see if there is any that I can take public transportation to

Alk, are you using any sort of discount program? I kept asking if it was generic and the pharmacist insisted it was and that the price I had was correct

Nope my Doctor sent the script there (5mg finasteride like proscar but generic) and when i picked it up it was 10$. They do have a program i think its like 20$ a year for lower script prices.

KO21

Established Member
Reaction score
I get three months worth of brand name proscar for 35 bucks in Canada.

McGurk

My Regimen
Reaction score
I also use proscar. It is 100% exactly the same drug but much cheaper and generics are available.
finpro.png

Last edited: