Finasteride Has Induced Scalp Itching In Me Even Tho I've Never Had It Before

StudyHacks

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Before I started taking finasteride, my scalp never itched.

Now every day it comes and goes

And 1 month into finasteride, the shed has begun, my normal daily 20-30 hairs have increased to 70-80

Is this a bad sign? I mean, the itching. Is this reflex hyperandrogenecity?

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I had a scalp itch when I first started finasteride. I never had one before. And from my experience an itch is usually a sign of inflammation and scalp inflammation has never done me any favours.

And yes I did try dutasteride after. Thinking it might be different... It wasn't. And so I stopped... Sadly the inflammation did not go away and my scalp is now fairly sensitive.

Perhaps yours will go away after time... You are shedding after all. I did not shed. I just thinned out.

Last edited:

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I had a scalp itch when I first started finasteride. I never had one before. And from my experience an itch is usually a sign of inflammation and scalp inflammation has never done me any favours.

And yes I did try dutasteride after. Thinking it might be different... It wasn't. And so I stopped... Sadly the inflammation did not go away and my scalp is now fairly sensitive now.

Perhaps yours will go away after time... You are shedding after all. I did not shed. I just thinned out.
When did you start feeling this itch? (3 months into finasteride?)

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why this question baba_yaga? Is there anything triggering scalp itchiness at 3-month mark?
No nothing special about the 3 months mark. I am taking finasteride myself and want to see if this itch can happen months after taking the first pill.

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
When did you start feeling this itch? (3 months into finasteride?)

I think it was 2 or 3 weeks in that the itch started.

I took saw palmetto for a while before that with no issue. but i am sensitive to saw palmetto now too and get inflammation.

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not aware of any reason why finasteride itself would cause itching. Anyone know of any explanation?