Finasteride harming healthy prostates

Sonicblu650

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What do you guys think? I haven't taken Propecia in 3 days and the male pattern baldness itch has returned to my temple area and my hair feels lighter and slightly thinner :( It seems finasteride really effects my hair and very quickly. Apparently both positively and negatively. My "prostate pain" or whatever the hell it is has went away 75% but my hair benefits seem to being going away also. Has anyone else had prostate issues with Propecia? I have no sexual sides at all!!! And it seems to work amazing for my hair. This sucks so bad. I just cant believe this is happening to me. Im getting very depressed i went to bed at 6pm last night just to end the day. Idk what to do here. I know theres no effective Propecia alternative, but is there something that kind of works? I cant just sit back and watch my hair go to hell. Why and how can finasteride harm my prostate?? If i didn't have this pain id be 100% side effect free

big_head

Established Member
Reaction score
Did you go to the doctor for this?

And I doubt finasteride will make you shed that drastically after only 3 days of missing it. This is probably in your head.

The "prostate" pain might be ball ache. They use finasteride to combat enlarged prostate so I'm not sure how it could harm it.

If you want to take finasteride that bad, see a doctor about this prostate pain and half your dosage in the mean time to see if that helps. Try not to think about sides because your mind will play tricks on you.

They're developing a topical finasteride that is supposed to work well without the sides. If you really do have painful sides from finasteride, perhaps you can take a smaller dosages and hold out until that and other things are released.

Just be calm about it, you aren't going to lose your hair in a matter of a few days of not taking finasteride. In the next week or so, see if you can talk to a doctor about it or experiment with lower doses. If you aren't having sexual side effects you're probably OK but just try to keep calm about it dude.

jk1okay

Reaction score
Try minoxidil, I applied it to my temples and after 5 weeks of usage I am growing mature hairs, I've counted plenty so far. As for finasteride, try taking it at lower doses such as .25-.5mg everyday or EOD. Ball ache is common.

Sonicblu650

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. This seems weird, my side effects but its truly happening to me. I did great for about 5 weeks on proscar then the pain started went to dr they thought it was uti. Took cipro 10 days and it just got worse. So i switched to Propecia and have been trying diff doses. I believe its from Propecia bc lowering dose helps and on the days off it feels better too. Its just weird and scary. I took .25 about 4 hrs ago and dont feel to bad. Do you guys think .25 eod can maintain my hair? Im norwood 1.5 and have alot of hair, but each individual hair strand is really fine. Im 34 Now So im in prime time hair loss years. I am freaking out i know but this has been going on 3 or 4 weeks now. I really appreciate all the replies and advice from everyone. We gotta stick together in this hair loss fight!

- - - Updated - - -

Did you go to the doctor for this?

And I doubt finasteride will make you shed that drastically after only 3 days of missing it. This is probably in your head.

The "prostate" pain might be ball ache. They use finasteride to combat enlarged prostate so I'm not sure how it could harm it.

If you want to take finasteride that bad, see a doctor about this prostate pain and half your dosage in the mean time to see if that helps. Try not to think about sides because your mind will play tricks on you.

They're developing a topical finasteride that is supposed to work well without the sides. If you really do have painful sides from finasteride, perhaps you can take a smaller dosages and hold out until that and other things are released.

Just be calm about it, you aren't going to lose your hair in a matter of a few days of not taking finasteride. In the next week or so, see if you can talk to a doctor about it or experiment with lower doses. If you aren't having sexual side effects you're probably OK but just try to keep calm about it dude.
im waiting for urologist app next month tho... I have another reg dr app Wednesday tho and im gonna get all my hormone levels checked. I did hear about the new topical. What a godsend that would be. Do you know any details about its release or anything?

- - - Updated - - -

Also i say prostate pain because its caused occasional pain in the rear and made me feel like i had to pee even tho i didn't have to... Really sucks and kinda scary

big_head

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. This seems weird, my side effects but its truly happening to me. I did great for about 5 weeks on proscar then the pain started went to dr they thought it was uti. Took cipro 10 days and it just got worse. So i switched to Propecia and have been trying diff doses. I believe its from Propecia bc lowering dose helps and on the days off it feels better too. Its just weird and scary. I took .25 about 4 hrs ago and dont feel to bad. Do you guys think .25 eod can maintain my hair? Im norwood 1.5 and have alot of hair, but each individual hair strand is really fine. Im 34 Now So im in prime time hair loss years. I am freaking out i know but this has been going on 3 or 4 weeks now. I really appreciate all the replies and advice from everyone. We gotta stick together in this hair loss fight!

- - - Updated - - -

im waiting for urologist app next month tho... I have another reg dr app Wednesday tho and im gonna get all my hormone levels checked. I did hear about the new topical. What a godsend that would be. Do you know any details about its release or anything?

I don't know much except what some people mentioned on the forum.

Also if you're truly a Norwood 1.5 at age 34 you're doing extremely well as most of us are beyond Norwood 3.

When you took proscar, how much were you taking per dosage? Hopefully nothing over 1.25 mg.

Sonicblu650

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know much except what some people mentioned on the forum.

Also if you're truly a Norwood 1.5 at age 34 you're doing extremely well as most of us are beyond Norwood 3.

When you took proscar, how much were you taking per dosage? Hopefully nothing over 1.25 mg.
yeah i cut it into 5 pieces the Best i could. So about 1mg a day. You know i just read about. Chronic pelvic pain syndrome. Its basically caused by extreme stress/worry and basically some men clench their pelvic area when stressed or worried and it causes inflammation and can cause urinary problems, extreme pain in and around that whole area. And thats where the pain seems to originate at my pelvic floor above the base of my penis, and under my waistline. I think i may have literally worried myself sick. There is all kinds of info about this online. I was very nervous about starting Propecia and i also have been diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder in the past. Now this makes sense! Jesus i did this to myself. All of the articles say it stems from the mind, but the pain is very very real...

br1

Reaction score
yeah i cut it into 5 pieces the Best i could. So about 1mg a day. You know i just read about. Chronic pelvic pain syndrome. Its basically caused by extreme stress/worry and basically some men clench their pelvic area when stressed or worried and it causes inflammation and can cause urinary problems, extreme pain in and around that whole area. And thats where the pain seems to originate at my pelvic floor above the base of my penis, and under my waistline. I think i may have literally worried myself sick. There is all kinds of info about this online. I was very nervous about starting Propecia and i also have been diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder in the past. Now this makes sense! Jesus i did this to myself. All of the articles say it stems from the mind, but the pain is very very real...

Of course the pain is real.. I have the same (mental) problems as you. Believe me when I say, I have had everything: from heart issues to prostate, neck, stomach, knees, moles, ears, and even went BLIND of one eye once. Cause? STRESS.

What causes the pain and/or symptoms is stress/anxiety, but once it's established in the physical level, oh you feel it.. and the pain/feeling, makes it even more real...

It's a living hell.. I started having this anxiety when I was 17. I am 38 now. Imagine that.

Sonicblu650

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Of course the pain is real.. I have the same (mental) problems as you. Believe me when I say, I have had everything: from heart issues to prostate, neck, stomach, knees, moles, ears, and even went BLIND of one eye once. Cause? STRESS.

What causes the pain and/or symptoms is stress/anxiety, but once it's established in the physical level, oh you feel it.. and the pain/feeling, makes it even more real...

It's a living hell.. I started having this anxiety when I was 17. I am 38 now. Imagine that.
dude my anxiety started 2 weeks before my 18th birthday... I remember the first night. I actually became a heroin addict a year later. I got no relief from dr s and i had to quite my job bc of anxiety(didnt know thats What it was then) and my friend was getting addicted to oxy contin, so he shot me up with a lil oxy... Omg it was over i felt amazing, no more pain, no more anxiety... Im 34 now. And im on methadone now for the last 6-7 years. Its been quite the ride. The mind is so powerful its crazy. Back to hair And Propecia im already feeling a lil better just trying to keep that area relaxed. My pain is down probably 60% or so

- - - Updated - - -

The hardest part is actually believing theres nothing physically wrong...

br1

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your heroin story. Hope you recover

And it's good to hear you feel better.

I was feeling 100% from my prostatitis, and yesterday, I had a social event and I started feeling it again (that ****ty pressure in the ***, and down below the belt area), it lasted hours.. And back home I started getting super depressed because I thought I was cured from this ****.. Then just for the sake of it, I had a hot bath and tried to relax read a book/magazine whatever.. Just try to focus out.. Guess what, the pain was gone a few hours later! Has not returned yet. I think my thing is also anxiety related.. 6 weeks of antibiotics for what.. :|

Sonicblu650

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your heroin story. Hope you recover

And it's good to hear you feel better.

I was feeling 100% from my prostatitis, and yesterday, I had a social event and I started feeling it again (that ****ty pressure in the ***, and down below the belt area), it lasted hours.. And back home I started getting super depressed because I thought I was cured from this ****.. Then just for the sake of it, I had a hot bath and tried to relax read a book/magazine whatever.. Just try to focus out.. Guess what, the pain was gone a few hours later! Has not returned yet. I think my thing is also anxiety related.. 6 weeks of antibiotics for what.. :|
as far as the heroin thing im good now. Its been over 4 years since the last time i did it and i have zero desire to go back. Im on a low dose of methadone also so theres no worries of ever going back, but thanks man. Ive been reading that antibiotics are constantly prescribed and only like 5 % 10% of cases are bacterial prostatitis... The dr s just dont know what else to do lol. They prescribe antibiotic, anti inflammatory drugs, and or alpha blockers. Non of which address the actual problem. Because its not actually the prostate... Thats why they started using the term chronic pelvic pain syndrome. I guess its pretty misunderstood by alot of dr s still... Ive been researching alot haha

- - - Updated - - -

Type in: pelvic pain help -chronic pelvic pain syndrome on you tube. This older dr explains alot. Its only like ten minutes. There s tons of stuff about exercises for relief of symptoms also all over you tube

- - - Updated - - -

Also they tried to give me another round of antibiotics. I didn't take them. I just monitored my symptoms and took my temp in the morning and before bed. Never developed any infection its been two weeks. They dont know what they're doing! Lol