finasteride- hairline gets worse before better?

sportsfan12

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive been on minoxidil 2 1/2 years and finasteride just hit 4 months- theres no doubt the finasteride has thickened up and improved my existing hair and crown.

My hair loss is minor at temple/hairline corner, and now the crown has pretty much been restored.

My hair is curly and never looks the same after haircuts/i have no marks or anything to use as a baseline for measuring regrowth on my hairline.

If ive been on minoxidil that long, then its obvious a shed wouldnt be from that. Its really hard to tell if my hairline is improving or getting worse- and i cant even tell if the wispy hairs are new ones coming in or old ones minitiarizing. Any advice? Could adding finasteride to the minoxidil cause a hairline/temple shed?

themiz1234

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of in the same boat as you; Essentially, I didn't add finasteride until I was barely over the 2 year mark using rogaine.

After 1 year of rogaine, I went to using just once a day rogaine due to side effects, and slowly lost hair (I'm not sure if using twice a day would have done much better either). Since adding finasteride almost 6 months ago, I've noticed ZERO improvement in my hair and I continue to use rogaine once a day. I just don't get this crap, you read all the bad news about side effects...but not any about it just not working either :/

sportsfan12

Established Member
Reaction score
I hear ya- to be fair though most people say you at least need to give it 6-9 months, if not a full year to see full benefits. Hair growth is a long, longggg process. Keep me posted on your results!

jim1447

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat m8. Was on minoxidil for about 8 months before I decided to start finasteride, cause minoxidil didn't seem to be helping my hairline. 4 months into finasteride now and I feel my hairline is still getting worse (was a retard and didn't take before photos unfortunately), but I'm just not sure if it's a 'shed' or full on recession. I'm giving it until Halloween-ish and if it's still receding I think I'm gonna try RU ontop of finasteride and minoxidil.

archdemon123

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes that's standard, miniaturized hairs at the temple points are very common in the early stages of male pattern baldness and shedding phases usually get temporarily rid of them.
I was skeptical about minoxidil but never ever stop it, it's probably one of those meds that everyone with male pattern baldness should take, even when scared of taking finasteride.