finasteride FUKED ME UP.....

desperate4hair

Reaction score
I had been taking finasteride 1.25mg / day for exactly 4 months....

About a month after I started taking it I noticed a slight decrease in my libido. I was thinking its no biggie.. Instead of wanking off once a day I would do it maybe every other day. Then eventually it led to every 2-3 days...and so on.. I can still get an erection and I ejaculate fine for the most part. but I get horny only a handful of times per week..

The sexual side effects weren't the worse for me.. It was the mental side effects.

About a 6-8 weeks ago I started to really take notice some changes. I noticed that I would constantly feel fatigue, no matter how much sleep I would get. My brain would always feel foggy.. I'd be forgetful, confused, and couldn't focus or concentrate. Also I noticed that my anxiety level had dramatically gone up and I ALWAYS feel nervous.. I get irritated easy and mood swings. And I am normally a very mellow person. I was also starting to feel very depressed and extremely low self esteem..

I went to go see a Doctor about all this (at the time I had NO idea it had anything to do with finasteride) and he said that I have ADHD-Inattentive.. I thought that was weird because I am 24 years old and never had that problem when I was younger. He said sometimes the symptoms can show up when you get older. I say ok.. cool.. I was happy I finally had an answer. My semester at school started and it was causing me a great deal of stress, and said it could be possibly due to that. But I've always been an A/B student and done well in school. He prescribed me Adderall and it helps. However, I'm only better only while on the medication, but once it wore off within a few hours, I was back to feeling tired, fatigue, anxious, etc...

So I started doing some research online. Since some adderall users report hairloss as a side effect.. one thing led to another and I somehow ended up reading about the disastrous side effects of propecia. I knew it could cause decreased libido, but I was not aware it can cause hypogoandism, which pretty much described my symptoms and why I had been feeling the way I was feeling.

Needless to say I was furious, scared, even more anxious and depressed.. I am fearing that its too late to go back to normal. I found all this out recently and stopped taking the drug yesterday cold turkey. I am really hoping that I return to normal sexually and mentally, since I am in nursing school and can not fathom how I am going to survive with this brain fog and fatigue i've developed. And the depression is getting worse and worse each day, especially after I found out about all this info.

Please please please.... Warning all the guys out there about this NASTY *** DRUG.... Do your research before you decide to mess with your body's natural hormones and chemistry. A few extra hairs aren't worth it, trust me. The worse part is that the side effects may be perminent. You don't know if you'll be one of the unlucky ones like myself, but if you are, it might be too late and you've already screwed yourself.

Im hoping for the best and hope that I return to my normal self soon. I do feel different, like I am not the same person. My emotions are different and my mental state is different. I am so depressed and sometimes don't want to leave my house, and I have extreme lack of motivation. Its severely impacted my life.

Thanks for reading and I hope this helps someone out there....

STAY AWAY FROM THIS DRUG!!!!!!!!!!!

T

Timi

all in the Dustbin

from finasteride to minoxidil

and live!

i have ruined my Live with this Drugs

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
You stopped taking Propecia two days ago and you're scared you won't go back to normal?

Almost guaranteed to be false. You will be fine within a month, and possibly within the week.

Joe-1991

Established Member
Reaction score
Messed up- you should get back to normal just fine in the coming weeks. Try to calm down and realize that the chances of severe permanent side effects are very rare. If for whatever reason you don't get back to normal after a month or so then go back to the doctor and insist that they take your problems seriously.

desperate4hair

Reaction score
Thanks for the reassurance, I am hoping that is the case. But I can't help but worry with seeing countless stories with these sides being persistent or irreversible. Your bodys hormone levels are very sensitive, and once they are out of whack, it can change the chemistry of your brain, possibly forever. I just hate myself for not doing more research on this drug before I took it. I am glad I found out 4 months into the treatment rather than just thinking I developed ADHD, and allowing it to get worse by continuing the treatment. Not to mention the sexual sides getting worse. I am at least lucky I have my libido slightly intact. And I had just spent $60 on 8 month supply that I just got in the mail last week! Going straight in the trash.

Joe-1991

Established Member
Reaction score
I am a post finasteride victim myself. I quit the drug two years ago and yet i am completely impotent amongst other things.

You should be fine now that you are off the drug. If you don't get back to normal check out propeciahelp and review from there.

desperate4hair

Reaction score
Question -- is there any advantage to wean myself off this drug vs quitting cold turkey. I'm afraid if I completely stop the medication, it will throw my hormones off due to sudden increase in DHT vs a gradual change by decreasing my dose over time

Joe-1991

Established Member
Reaction score
Well isn't it too late for that. Some will argue that weened off is better but there are no studies or data to go base the decision on.

I went on and off the drug and used it very sporadically and yet crashed and have severe problems.

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
m3ss3d_up said:
Your bodys hormone levels are very sensitive, and once they are out of whack, it can change the chemistry of your brain, possibly forever.

That's certainly not true for steroid users. Thousands of athletes, body builders and punters use steroids every day and f*** with their hormones drastically yet the body is very tolerant of it. It is also freely observed that coming off steroids reverses sides, even sexual ones, and steroid users regularly cycle on and off despite hitting sexual sides like ball-shrink.

Watch this documentary for a bit of perspective: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpf-CXn3Bis

Anyway don't assume something bad is going to happen. Quit finasteride, you'll be fine.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hairhoper said:
Watch this documentary for a bit of perspective: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpf-CXn3Bis

Anyway don't assume something bad is going to happen. Quit finasteride, you'll be fine.

Ironically, Mike "Mad Dog" Bell, the 37yo brother of the director of Bigger, Stronger, Faster, was found dead several months after the debut of this film, in which he was prominently featured as an advocate of steroids.

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
There is nothing ironic about his death, nor is it directly connected to his steroid use. He was suicidal because he felt like a failure for never becoming anything.

T

Timi

Hello m3ss3d_up

take You minoxidil?
or finasteride only?

Timi

desperate4hair

Reaction score
Timi said:
Hello m3ss3d_up

take You minoxidil?
or finasteride only?

Timi

finasteride only..

As far as my recovery goes... I was doing good for the first 5 days with my erections, and now I have crashed. My libido is the same or even worse as it was when I was on finasteride. On top of that my hair has started to shed real bad. I dont know what to do, Im soo sad/depressed/frustrated.

KiLLuMiNaTi

Established Member
Reaction score
brother ill give you some advice. ive used finasteride and basically everything else. i dont know why you would put yourself through the pain when topical spironolactone,revivogen and rogaine work so good for me, finasteride is pointless.

kbs

Reaction score
It usually takes a minimum of 2 weeks for hormone levels to go back to normal possibly more. Keep yourself distracted and try not to worry about it too much. Remember the scientific odds are on your side so try to stay positive.