finasteride Experience

HairyN

Established Member
Reaction score
I started taking 1.25mg/every other day about 2 months back and stopped dosing maybe 2 weeks ago.

I figured I would be very safe since it was such a low dosage but after a little more than a months time on the drug I noticed some things.

1) The mental side effects that people bring up are not an exaggeration...they are completely real...the best example I can think of while I was on this drug was when I was at University and I was sitting in the cafeteria during my 2 hour break. While I was eating...I couldn't remember if my next class started at 1:30 or 2:30...mind you this was not in the beginning of the semester but towards the very end with a little less than a months time left until winter break It was completely ridiculous to me how I could forget something that had become very routine to me up until that point. As many of you know your daily schedule doesnt really need concious thought after a certain point so imagine how I felt? This had never happened to me before. I also clearly lost the ability to put down my thoughts on paper...it took me so much longer than usual to put together a paper that I was happy with. Placebo?...if anything I was worrying about my johnson and never mental fog.

2) Became incredibly tired while I was on it. I would sleep for maybe 9 hours straight and wake up extremely tired like I hadn't slept at all. I could've gone for 12 straight hours if I had time for it

3) I really began to doubt the 1-2% figures because I have a friend whos a doctor and hes told me that those numbers are completely ludicrous in comparison to the patients he gets back complaining about side effects. Think about it, if you give 100 people this drug...you're only going to hear about 1 or 2 people complaing about something wrong?!?! That sounds COMPLETELY bogus to me! Besides how can you COMPLETELY trust a study thats been done by MERCK LABS in New Jersey and NOT by an indepedent study. Trust a study thats been conducted inhouse and by a company thats been riddled with dozens of lawsuits because of issues with another drug? I think not.

G

yewh hairy, I got all those side effects too, except the one about bein forgetful, ive done fine in college. The sexual side go away if you ride it out. i had them for about the first motnh (fluctuating libido, i could still get it up if needed thoguh) after first month.. back to normal. I have always been irritable since this whole male pattern baldness sh*t started so i dont know if its the finasteride doin it or my brain... O yea i could sleep for 14 hrs a night if iwanted to... sometimes its hard to get goin in the mornin

HairyN

Established Member
Reaction score
yah i definately dont think we're the only ones...I really hate how people on this board tell people to jump on finasteride like its candy...and i dont think im exaggerating when i say that

Im REALLY scared for that one person. That one person that gets on finasteride after receiving advice from this board and experiences completely losing libido and not recovering...its a real condition and we all know it happens...rarely...but it happens

People on this board need to stop telling people to worry about side effects...because they are very real...there needs to be a balance...everytime side effects are brought up all i see from the vets are "SCARE TACTICS"...bullshit...you need to tell people how it is...side effects are downplayed way too much here

It'll happen eventually...its just a matter of time and probability

G

yeh, these are great points you make... any smart self-respecting person ( itake it you are) will seriously consider the risksVSbenefits issue. I was so depressed from hairloss i figured that if anti-depressents have a higher chance of making you impotent, might as well give propecia a try.. But honestly, after being on it for 7 months i am glad i did as my hair would probly look much worse now and the sides for me were minimal... So eveluate tour sitation... Does hairloss bother u so much that its efecting your everyday life.. was for me so i took the finasteride plunge and feel im a little better off for it

Cassin

Reaction score
HairyN said:
...everytime side effects are brought up all i see from the vets are "SCARE TACTICS"...bullshit...you need to tell people how it is...side effects are downplayed way too much here

I think thats a very unfair blanket statement.

REGARDLESS..........Sorry for your problems.

What are your plans now? spironolactone + Revivo combo?

oni

Reaction score
Listen very few side effects on finasteride will not go away if you stop taking it so why not give it ago. I can only think of one side effect that will not go away and that is man boobs :lol:

Brasileirao

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Just to add from my own personal experience...

I have been on Propecia for about asoirhaseruosefhcfa ;sdlfhaserf ashefldfhafafasdfdf......(face hitting keyboard) zzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!! :sleepin:

just kidding

Any who, I have been on Propecia for about 9 months now and all my side effects have diminished. I now wake up with a hard on and really havent had any other problems. Perhaps people are giving up too soon and not letting their bodies adjust.

Well, hope everythings turn out ok.

Over and OUT!
Tony

G

im not givin up, at 7 months my propecia is helpin very much, my hair loss has slowed to probly a normal rate, and most of my scalp isn't visible in most light now :D