finasteride & dutasteride together - is it a waste!

RStGeorge

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am 55 yo. I am an nw7

Two years ago started taking oral finasteride 1.25mg.

After 12 months noticed sparse but definite growth on my crown. From slick bald I eventually developed single hair terminal hairs all over my crown.

At one year mark added oral dutasteride/oral min and continued oral finasteride.

Progress has been slow but steady.

I am a diffuse thinner, but hair has been growing on my crown, where I have not had hair for over 30 years.

No hair has grown on my hairline, on my sides or my nape, where hair has also been thinning.

About 6 months ago I also started estradiol 2 mg. After one month, noticed breast tenderness. Reduced to 1 mg for 1 month. Breast still tender and slowly growing. Stopped estradiol 4 months ago. Breast still tender and painful.

I am wondering if oral finasteride is keeping my breasts sore.

Also wondering if there is any benefit to taking dutasteride + finasteride.

Thinking of dropping finasteride in hope that my breast tenderness will resolve and yet my hair growth will still slowly continue.

I am seeking informed feedback from my bros.

Not looking for speculation or criticism.

Please note: I have had no side-effects until I started estradiol. I am a cis-guy so I do not want breast growth.

1. Has anyone also tried taking dutasteride + finasteride for a considerable period of time? Please let me know your experience re: breast growth and hair growth.

2. Is anyone aware of any studies which have tested finasteride + dutasteride? I would love to read them. I would specifically like to know if in combination they grow more hair, or if there is no additional benefit for hair regrowth.

As mentioned above, I am an nw7 with a slick bald crown for over 30 years, until recently.

Although my progress has been slow, I now have sparse but definitive coverage all over my crown. So far I only have single hairs sprouting on my crown. Hoping I will one day see multiple.

I have focussed on oral only because I wear a hair piece. On my hair line however, which I can access, I have used micro-needling, topical min & dutasteride, topical certizine, topical melatonin, topical magnesium et al. I have only been doing this for past 3 months. Have seen no results previously with oral finasteride/min/dutasteride, but lately have seen some vellus hairs precisely where I microneedle and apply topicals.

My side hair has continued to thin and shed like crazy. I have tried so many topicals to stop the shed, but nothing has worked. When I comb my hand through my side hair or nape, I literally get 40 or 50 hairs.

However, a few months ago I tried topical melatonin on my side hair and nsle. This stopped hair loss from side and back dead in its tracks, but no hair regrowth yet.

As long as I apply topical melatonin at least once every three days, I lose no hair from my sides or nape, but for about 3 to 5 a day, which I consider normal.

I thought I would add above info for the benefit of my bro’s.

I have also been taking the following topicals and orals as of past 12 months, but can’t say whether they have helped:

2 x oral viviscal per day
2 x Resverstrol per day
2 x saw palmetto per day
2 x pumpkin seed oil supplement per day
1 x zinc per day
2 x magnesium per day
1 x 2mg melatonin per day (as of last 2 weeks)
Caffeine topical leave in cream, once per day on hairline as of past 2 weeks
Nizoral cream on my hairline, once per week
Magnesium topical cream on my hairline, once per week on hairline
Topical estrogel on my hairline, once per week
And microneedle on my hairline at 1mm depth once every second day
Above for your reference.

But my post is specifically for informed feedback from users who have compelling insights on whether oral dutasteride + finasteride is overkill, and whether my dropping oral finasteride may reduce my breast tenderness without negating my slow but progressing crown hair growth.

Btg

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
dutasteride already does as much as can be achieved , try oral minoxidil i guess

RStGeorge

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
dutasteride already does as much as can be achieved , try oral minoxidil i guess

I take finasteride, dutasteride and min.

My question was whether finasteride + dutasteride increased results or whether it was a waste.

It seems to increase sides however.

Given that they have same anti-androgen effect, but finasteride being less effective than dutasteride. I am wondering whether dropping finasteride will reduce my hair regrowth.

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is actually a great question and deserves more attention. From what I understand, it's possible that one can respond better to one vs the other depending on your genes. And each drug has a bit of a different pathway from what I have been told.

RStGeorge

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, here is one positive study on finasteride and dutasteride used together.

jazz1

Reaction score
i take finasteride 6 days and dutasteride 1 day, it changed the game for me lots of thickening.
So you had better results by adding Dutasteride once per week, how long did you take Finasteride alone?

Doingitright

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

subsidence82

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have tried the method of taking finasteride 6 days a week and a dutasteride on the 7th day. I had nasty sides, anxiety was nuts, my nipples got sore and had trouble falling asleep and waking up in the middle of night multiple times. Was overkill.

Pacho

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
you started finasteride and dutasteride too late, its meant for maintaince, not regrowth

rippedgenius

My Regimen
Reaction score
Whether you use finasteride or dutasteride, whenever you limit the conversion of testosterone to DHT, your body will naturally create more estrogen which in turn, results in breast tenderness and then eventually Gyno.

I know some bodybuilders that like to run finasteride or dutasteride, but also an aromatase inhibitor like letrozole which controls estrogen levels. It's always good to get bloodwork done as often as possible to get an idea what exactly is occurring with your hormone levels. Too much or too little of any hormone can result in hairloss too.

subsidence82

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Whether you use finasteride or dutasteride, whenever you limit the conversion of testosterone to DHT, your body will naturally create more estrogen which in turn, results in breast tenderness and then eventually Gyno.

I know some bodybuilders that like to run finasteride or dutasteride, but also an aromatase inhibitor like letrozole which controls estrogen levels. It's always good to get bloodwork done as often as possible to get an idea what exactly is occurring with your hormone levels. Too much or too little of any hormone can result in hairloss too.
Yep, happened to me. Id personally rather have diffuse thinning over swollen nipples and potential (man boobs) gyno. I haven’t had any of these adverse reactions since I stopped the dutasteride and just continued with daily finasteride. Minoxidil and finasteride seem to be working well in maintaining and slightly thickening my thin areas.

rippedgenius

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yep, happened to me. Id personally rather have diffuse thinning over swollen nipples and potential (man boobs) gyno. I haven’t had any of these adverse reactions since I stopped the dutasteride and just continued with daily finasteride. Minoxidil and finasteride seem to be working well in maintaining and slightly thickening my thin areas.
I've found the best results to be finasteride + Min + Nizoral. This combination minimises my hair fall out/maintains what I've got.

I'm exploring the option of switching out finasteride for topical RU, but will begin at a low dose as RU can get in the bloodstream and cause the same side effects. If I can get the dosing right, I know it can definitely be a superior regime and potentially see some growth.

I'm also thinking of trying Adenosine instead of Min but it's not easy or cheap to get here in Australia, so generic min for now will do. Also it's hard to assess what's working and what's not if you switch out more than one thing in your routine.

I'm pretty excited tbh.

JWM2

Established Member
Reaction score
i take finasteride 6 days and dutasteride 1 day, it changed the game for me lots of thickening.
Seen a lot of people having success on this combo. How long have you been on it, and where has the thickening primarily occurred? Thanks.