Finasteride/Dutasteride "Brain Fog"

paximperia

Established Member
Reaction score
I have no idea if this is a result of finasteride or not, as I'm also taking Adderall which can cause similar symptoms, however over the past several years I have felt dissociated from reality (detached), tired all the time, I have trouble focusing or making interpersonal connections, I get exhausted at work, reduced sex drive, I sometimes have difficulty concentrating, I forget things, in general nothing seems "real". It started at some point (don't remember how long) after starting finasteride.

I'm by no means saying this is because of the finasteride, but after my intense experience with dutasteride I'm starting to wonder... What is the "brain fog" everyone keeps referring to? What is your personal experience with "brain fog" from taking DHT inhibitors, if any.

Mew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The mental problems you describe is what men like you and I experienced while on Finasteride, down to a tee -- the "social disconnection" and "disassociative state", mental slowness, memory problems, tripping over/fumbling for words, inability to process information, fatigue and just generally feeling "out of it", like in a perpetual state of drunkeness and like a walking, emotionless zombie... all common complaints from the drug. This is in addition to the erectile dysfunction, loss of libido, and other problems that can result from use.

Many other guys on propeciahelp.com and askapatient.com experienced the same thing, and describe it vividly on both sites.

I can tell you with 99.9% certainty that your symptoms are most definitely connected to Finasteride use, because 1. I experienced them myself, so I know exactly what you're talking about... and 2. taking finasteride leads to androgen deprivation, blockade of 5AR2-derived neurosteroid production in the brain, and often many other hormonal imbalances which can cause these problems, as documented in numerous scientific journals.

I would advise you to discontinue finasteride and give yourself a few months, things should clear up a lot in that time.

paximperia

Established Member
Reaction score
I still have a significant amount of dutasteride in my system. If it is the DHT inhibitors that are causing it I'm afraid it might take a lot longer. I only stopped two weeks ago.

paximperia

Established Member
Reaction score
The descriptions are so similar! I thought I might have had a stroke (I was going to get an MRI-- I'm dead serious, I still have the prescription), then I thought I might be going schizophrenic, or have dissociative personality disorder, or chronic fatigue syndrome, etc, etc-- I never thought it could have been the Propecia! It didn't start until months after starting...

Is there any way to counter the side effects without stopping? If I do stop are the mental effects reversible? Other than the MAJOR mental side-effects, Propecia worked so well! This sucks. : (

Mew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to counter the side effects without stopping?

Honestly, no there isn't. The drug is simply way too powerful that short of stopping it, nothing will "fix" the state you are in while on it due to the aforementioned androgen deprivation/5AR2-neurosteroid inhibition that is taking place.

If I do stop are the mental effects reversible?

For most they clear up within a few weeks, for others it can takes months and sometimes, years. Only way you'll know for yourself is if you quit.

G

Brain fog as a side effect of finasteride is a myth.People who are worried about things (an example would be worrying about side effects of finasteride while hanging around a forum and reading nutjobs posts) get anxiety,One part of anxiety is brain fog.Its all Psychosomatic.

Mew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Brain fog as a side effect of finasteride is a myth

I suggest you have a read through this:

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi- ... 4/PDFSTART

And check page 3 for the diagram. Decreased Allopregnanonlone production (and possibly THDOC) can lead to anxiety in human and rodent models, due to it's inability to act on GABA-A receptors thanks to finasteride's blockade of 5AR2 neurosteroid production in the brain.

G

Some people get depression from using too much caffeine.People are all different,This wouldnt be common.

Mattb

My Regimen
Reaction score
The mental problems you describe is what men like you and I experienced while on Finasteride, down to a tee -- the "social disconnection" and "disassociative state", mental slowness, memory problems, tripping over/fumbling for words, inability to process information, fatigue and just generally feeling "out of it", like in a perpetual state of drunkeness and like a walking, emotionless zombie... all common complaints from the drug. This is in addition to the erectile dysfunction, loss of libido, and other problems that can result from use.

Many other guys on propeciahelp.com and askapatient.com experienced the same thing, and describe it vividly on both sites.

I can tell you with 99.9% certainty that your symptoms are most definitely connected to Finasteride use, because 1. I experienced them myself, so I know exactly what you're talking about... and 2. taking finasteride leads to androgen deprivation, blockade of 5AR2-derived neurosteroid production in the brain, and often many other hormonal imbalances which can cause these problems, as documented in numerous scientific journals.

I would advise you to discontinue finasteride and give yourself a few months, things should clear up a lot in that time.
Did they clear for you? I just stopped 3 days ago with no relief from brain fog

Mattb

My Regimen
Reaction score
The descriptions are so similar! I thought I might have had a stroke (I was going to get an MRI-- I'm dead serious, I still have the prescription), then I thought I might be going schizophrenic, or have dissociative personality disorder, or chronic fatigue syndrome, etc, etc-- I never thought it could have been the Propecia! It didn't start until months after starting...

Is there any way to counter the side effects without stopping? If I do stop are the mental effects reversible? Other than the MAJOR mental side-effects, Propecia worked so well! This sucks. : (
Hey what happened to you? Did you continue or stop?

Mattb

My Regimen
Reaction score

Mew did things clear up for you? Was it weird looking in the mirror? It’s been 3 weeks and I still feel very disoriented and disossociated. Do you know of anyone who had this dream like state and had it eventually go away?