Finasteride, Dutasteride And The Risk Of Dementia

dr75

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here is a new study investigating 5 ARI's effect on the dementia risk. For years fear mongers believed that finasteride can contribute to neurodegeneration by disruption of neurosteroidogenesis. Finally we have a good evidence that long term finasteride use is not associated with cognitive problems.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28716218

RESULTS:
New initiation of 5ARI medication was associated with an increased risk of dementia during the first (HR 2.18, 95% CI 2.01-2.35) and second (HR 1.52, 95% CI 1.39-1.67) year, however this risk was nonsignificant among the men with the longest exposure to 5ARIs (HR 1.06, 95% CI 0.98-1.14). There was no difference in the results between types of 5ARIs.

CONCLUSION:
As the strength of the association decreased with increased exposure, the higher risk seen in the initial two years likely represents the presentation and treatment of urinary symptoms which coexist with mild cognitive impairment and eventually progresses to a diagnosis of dementia.

Last edited:

Razzabo

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Stop calling them fear mongers. It's scientifically proven the damage this drug does by neurosteroid inhibition and dht reduction and is published in medical journals.

Whether you choose to believe it is your choice or not.

This drug annihilates Allopregnanolone. An important neurosteroid responsible for mood, memory and cognition.

DHT also protects the brain from Alzheimers and other neuro degenerative diseases.

Look, at Trump, showing signs of Alzheimers and dementia.

The side effects leaflet is not accurate of what finasteride actually does.

If it explained that it depletes brain chemicals and blocked the gaba A receptor in the brain many people would think twice about it.

But they don't want that on the label so you'll continue to take it.

Whether you feel these effects is a different story. Most people tolerate the drug fine with no adverse side effects which is the mind boggling thing.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Stop calling them fear mongers. It's scientifically proven the damage this drug does by neurosteroid inhibition and dht reduction and is published in medical journals.

This drug annihilates Allopregnanolone. An important neurosteroid responsible for mood, memory and cognition.

DHT also protects the brain from Alzheimers and other neuro degenerative diseases.

If it explained that it depletes brain chemicals and blocked the gaba A receptor in the brain many people would think twice about it.

Whether you feel these effects is a different story. Most people tolerate the drug fine with no adverse side effects which is the mind boggling thing.

I think this is true, but I think a lot of men would still take it. There are no alternatives to propecia, and until that time many men will choose hair over anything else.
No amount of preaching will change that, just a viable alternative.
Also exact amount of Allopregnanolone changed, and what normal amounts are. Some people might handle it better than others. There are so many things involved, and some people have zero issues with it like you said so how important is it? A lot of men are getting by without normal levels of it.

dr75

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Show us an evidence that finasteride contributes to neurodegeneration in a living organism. Not only an altered steroid metabolism, we need clinical data.
Finasteride has been hypothesized to reduce sleep spindles because of the association between neurosteroids and GABA A receptors. Guess what?
A 2015 study shows that low dose finasteride is not associated with sleep alterations.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4718775/

Results
No significant differences between groups were observed for spectral power or sleep spindle morphology measures, including spindle density, amplitude, duration, and integrated spindle activity.

Conclusions
Contrary to our hypothesis, these findings demonstrate that finasteride is not associated with alterations in sleep spindle range activity or spindle morphology parameters.

-----

Trump showing signs of dementia hence finasteride causes cognitive problems? A 71 year old man on finasteride suffering from dementia is a proof that finasteride contributes to neurodegeneration to you? What kind of logic is this?

Saulus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Scary sh*t

Apparently trump really has some problems according to this new book

I wonder if he is still on finasteride

Wardy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Bumping this to see if anybody has more information on this??

Looking into all kinds of hair loss remedy from hair transplant- minoxodil to finasteride?