Finasteride Doesnt Work, What To Do Next?

justbeconfident

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
5 months in, shedding same amount as before finasteride - 200-300 hairs a day.

What do you advise next?

Havent tried min yet.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Any advice on a method for switching from Finasteride to Dutasteride?

in my case it’s a change from topical Finasteride 1% to topical Dutasteride 1%.

want to do all I can to prevent a shed or spike a reaction in terms of sides.

stejames

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Any advice on a method for switching from Finasteride to Dutasteride?

in my case it’s a change from topical Finasteride 1% to topical Dutasteride 1%.

want to do all I can to prevent a shed or spike a reaction in terms of sides.
i have been on finasteride for 20+ yrs. started losing effectiveness last spring. introduced .5Dut once a week for 4 months + continued 1mg finasteride 6 days a week. Gnarly shed for 6 weeks. started dutasteride 2 x's a week + finasteride 5 days for last 3+ months. nothing noticeable. Will give it until it clearly looks as if its not working. Probably wont up intake of dutasteride. to see if thats better.

If you jump to dutasteride whether by itself or as a supercharger for finasteride I think you will probably see another shed.

justbeconfident

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Shedding =/= hair loss. Stick to it.
shedding = losing hair, since i said it was the same as before finasteride

im about to hop on minoxidil cuz f*****g finasteride doesnt do sh*t for me, im rapidly going bald and the amount of hair lost every day isnt decreasing at all even though im 4-5 months in

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
shedding = losing hair, since i said it was the same as before finasteride

im about to hop on minoxidil cuz f*****g finasteride doesnt do sh*t for me, im rapidly going bald and the amount of hair lost every day isnt decreasing at all even though im 4-5 months in
Not true. You go bald because the hair strands produced by hair follicles shrink in diameter and become lighter in color, until they are so small and colorless, they appear invisible. Shedding is a normal part of a healthy hair. How much you shed doesnt mean much, unless you're shedding alot (300+).
For anecdotale evidence, I actually shed the most from the back. All it takes is one pass of my hand through the hairs in the back to get 1-3 strands each time. At the top, I need to f*** with my hair for a solid 1-2 minutes before I get any shedded strands. And guess what? My hair loss is at the top.

Shedding is not Androgenetic Alopecia. Miniaturization is the cause of hair loss in 95% of all cases.

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not true. You go bald because the hair strands produced by hair follicles shrink in diameter and become lighter in color, until they are so small and colorless, they appear invisible. Shedding is a normal part of a healthy hair. How much you shed doesnt mean much, unless you're shedding alot (300+)

You’d be surprised how many people that have been on these forums for years still don’t know this.

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You’d be surprised how many people that have been on these forums for years still don’t know this.
Whats sad is that they would stop treatment because they're still shedding, whereas the treatment may be working just fine. We should spread awareness.

justbeconfident

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not true. You go bald because the hair strands produced by hair follicles shrink in diameter and become lighter in color, until they are so small and colorless, they appear invisible. Shedding is a normal part of a healthy hair. How much you shed doesnt mean much, unless you're shedding alot (300+).
For anecdotale evidence, I actually shed the most from the back. All it takes is one pass of my hand through the hairs in the back to get 1-3 strands each time. At the top, I need to f*** with my hair for a solid 1-2 minutes before I get any shedded strands. And guess what? My hair loss is at the top.

Shedding is not Androgenetic Alopecia. Miniaturization is the cause of hair loss in 95% of all cases.
You havent made sense in your comment whatsoever, unfortunately. Can you even think logically? When you are shedding, it means your hair falls out and that means you are losing your hair and that's called hair loss. And we are not talking about losing like 5 hairs a day, which is normal. I'm talking about permanent stable constant loss of hair every day by hundreads and every single time i go through my hair with a hand. That's far beyond normaliy range.

Hair follicles shrinking is one step of the process, and at one point, when it shrinks too far, your hair falls out and doesnt regrow.

What was the point even mentioning hair follicles shrinking, are you mentally challenged or something? Why didnt you bring up why they shrink then? Following your logic i could say the same thing: "No, your hair loss doesnt happen because your hair follicles shrink, your hair falls because DHT attacks and damages hair follicles, that's what a lot of people dont understand." Lmao.

What a futile comment was that.

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You havent made sense in your comment whatsoever, unfortunately. Can you even think logically? When you are shedding, it means your hair falls out and that means you are losing your hair and that's called hair loss. And we are not talking about losing like 5 hairs a day, which is normal. I'm talking about permanent stable constant loss of hair every day by hundreads and every single time i go through my hair with a hand. That's far beyond normaliy range.

Hair follicles shrinking is one step of the process, and at one point, when it shrinks too far, your hair falls out and doesnt regrow.

What was the point even mentioning hair follicles shrinking, are you mentally challenged or something? Why didnt you bring up why they shrink then? Following your logic i could say the same thing: "No, your hair loss doesnt happen because your hair follicles shrink, your hair falls because DHT attacks and damages hair follicles, that's what a lot of people dont understand." Lmao.

What a futile comment was that.
Calm the f*** down.

Shedding hair is not hair loss, not permanent. You shed the hair STRAND. Permanent hair loss (aka balding) happens when your hair FOLLICLES become weakened. You can f*****g shed 150-250 hairs a day (like me) and still have no hair loss (in the shedding, non androgenic hair loss regions of the scalp). And no, shedding 5 hairs a day is not normal.

i brought up follicle shrinkage because it is hair loss, NOT shedding. I am correcting your use of “hair loss”.

You can literally shed all your hair in one day, then in a couple months you’ll be a full head. Shedding is only “loosing” the hair STRAND.

5 months in, shedding same amount as before finasteride - 200-300 hairs a day.

What do you advise next?

Havent tried min yet.
Also, finasteride is not a drug used to reduce your “hair loss” (shedding). It seems you’re mentally challenged as well.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is it a safe assumption that follicle miniaturization is only caused by androgens?

My low body fat, high testosterone, has me concerned that even with topical Finasteride something else is destroying my hair.

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In the majority of cases, androgens cause a seemingly unknown cascade of events that lead to the miniaturization of hair. The latter may have other causes (which I’ve never heard of), but androgen-induced events are the main cause.

You have high testosterone. T is an androgen. Add to that you’re using TOPICAL finasteride, which is several orders of magnitude lower in efficacy than the oral route. I can take a good guess, and say you are not suppressing androgens enough, hence the observation that your hair loss is still going on.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m just seeing a wave of 2 inch thin hairs mixed with healthy hair. I don’t think they will go terminal.

I have failed twice on oral Finasteride due to sides. I’m using topical and RU but nothing is helping. Still ED sides but managed.

is topcial Dutasteride a huge risk? CB?

justbeconfident

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m just seeing a wave of 2 inch thin hairs mixed with healthy hair. I don’t think they will go terminal.

I have failed twice on oral Finasteride due to sides. I’m using topical and RU but nothing is helping. Still ED sides but managed.

is topcial Dutasteride a huge risk? CB?
Did you at least have positive results while on finasteride?

I have no sides atm, but no results also, losing same amoutn of hair if not more.