Finasteride, do you get immune eventually?

Sebastien

Established Member
Reaction score
My docter told me that finasteride will work for 7-10 years and after that you will lose your hair again. Now back then I didn't even know wether finasteride would work or not, but seeing as it does and as I am only 20 years of age. Going bald at age ~28 doesn't sound good either?

Does it really work for 7-10 years only?

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
From what we know finasteride only "delays" balding. Sometimes it will regrow stuff.

What happens is your hairs become so sensitive to androgens that even finasteride cannot block it all and you'll start losing hair again. This might never happen, it might happen in 5 years, might happen in 10 or 15.

Saying it works for only 7-10 years is not really truthful because it varies too much with each person.

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you are balding aggressively then yes it could lose its effect after a few years if not it will most certainly help you maintain for a long time.I know a guy who has been on finasteride for 11 years and he went from a Norwood 3 to a Norwood 2 in a year and still maintains everything he gained.

TEDDYRUXPIN

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been on it for 9 years coming soon to 10 years. SO no major change.

Each person will behave differently with finasteride alike. Other factors such as stress, lifestyle, diet etc will affect the speed of baldness.

Wolfgard

Reaction score
Was using Propecia for 6 years (I'm 32 y/o)with great success : the hair loss halted almost totally. No gain was seemed but since I still had quite a lot of hair I didn't mind. No side effects eather.
About 4 month ago, I started to lose hair like crazy, much more than before starting Propecia treatment and now I have almost visible scalp (diffused thinning) , 5 month only after heaving almost full head of hair.

Do you think Propecia stopped working or rather I developed some kind of tolerance to it ? Maybe DHT levels are to high ?
Did anyone have similar experience.

I now had to add Rogaine (foam ) to my regiment and each day the condition is worsen.
I think I'll shave my head because my hair looks terrible.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Wolfgard said:
Was using Propecia for 6 years (I'm 32 y/o)with great success : the hair loss halted almost totally. No gain was seemed but since I still had quite a lot of hair I didn't mind. No side effects eather.
About 4 month ago, I started to lose hair like crazy, much more than before starting Propecia treatment and now I have almost visible scalp (diffused thinning) , 5 month only after heaving almost full head of hair.

Do you think Propecia stopped working or rather I developed some kind of tolerance to it ? Maybe DHT levels are to high ?
Did anyone have similar experience.

I now had to add Rogaine (foam ) to my regiment and each day the condition is worsen.
I think I'll shave my head because my hair looks terrible.

keep on the rogaine, if you've only been on it a short time you might have just had a shed and might see good regrowth

either your propecia was fake (if you ordered generics), or your scalp decided to become ultra-sensitive to DHT. there isnt a "tolerance" of it because of the way it works chemically

Wolfgard

Reaction score
The shed started before Rogaine foam and I use only original Propecia from legit pharmacy.
I do think that my hair became more sensitive to DHT over time.

It's unfortunate because finasteride used to work fine for 6 years with good maintaining

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Sebastien said:
My docter told me that finasteride will work for 7-10 years and after that you will lose your hair again. [...] Does it really work for 7-10 years only?

I believe the biological and chemical factors which contribute to hair loss gradually get worse as the years go by, for reasons which we don't really need to go into at the moment. That might help explain why it is that even with the continuous use of finasteride, your balding may gradually get worse over time. However, it's important to keep in mind that at the very least, finasteride helps slow down your hair loss, even if it's not able to stop it completely. The data from Merck's long-term Propecia trial showed that the difference in haircounts between finasteride users and placebo users continued to INCREASE over the years (at least for 5 years, the duration of the study), not DECREASE.

Wolfgard

Reaction score
They did published their 5 years test but why don't they conduct longer tests.
Propecia is already 14 years on the market, so they could do additional trial.
What i guess is they did, and won't publish the results.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Wolfgard said:
They did published their 5 years test but why don't they conduct longer tests.
Propecia is already 14 years on the market, so they could do additional trial.
What i guess is they did, and won't publish the results.

Nah, the main reason is 5 years was good enough to get it FDA approved, but then despite a lot of people hopping on propecia it doesn't provide much money so it isn't worth the cost to do a long term study.

They never claim that it will always keep working, even the 5 year studies show that some people start balding again regardless.

But then there are some people on this forum who have continued to see their hairlines move forward over 10+ years.

Wolfgard

Reaction score
I'm sure it propecia provides Merck a lot of profit because the sane 1mg finasteride tablets are sold at 9$ in Wal?art and Propecia costs about 70 $.

Also , I don't understand why this kind of research costs a lot of money because all that is required is just to make hair count every year. Not that much cost.

I asked my dermatologist and he told me that even doctors don't get full data from the pharma companies about their products. Just the necessary and mandatory information.

Wolfgard

Reaction score
I wish we had the ability to discuss this topic with Merck representative. Maybe the forums administration can arrange this issue. I guess that would be a huge popularity factor.

As we are large, worldwide consumer market, such on-line discussion could be win-win situation for all sides.