Finasteride, Depression And Skin Aging

Scotty121

My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone know of the link with finasteride and developing mental problems ie depression and skin aging

Reason I ask is I was on the drug for 13 years and been off a year now but still suffer very low mood which I had when taking the drug. Facial Skin also seems to have aged with jowling along the jawline anyone experienced this?

Scotty121

My Regimen
Reaction score
Perhaps your skin just aged during the THIRTEEN years on finasteride? Also, did you notice how was your mood before finasteride?
I dunno I find it strange how my face is sagging yet none of my friends are (some
Older) I’m the only one that was in the drug..Yes my mood before taking it was low at times but reading about DHT apparently this is important for your moods too.

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
I dunno I find it strange how my face is sagging yet none of my friends are (some
Older) I’m the only one that was in the drug..Yes my mood before taking it was low at times but reading about DHT apparently this is important for your moods too.

Something like 90+% of visible skin ageing is due to UV (sun damage) - do you tan in the summer or put on sunscreen every morning ? 13 years is a long time, ageing is something you'd expect over that time frame anyway.

Scotty121

My Regimen
Reaction score
Something like 90+% of visible skin ageing is due to UV (sun damage) - do you tan in the summer or put on sunscreen every morning ? 13 years is a long time, ageing is something you'd expect over that time frame anyway.
I live in the U.K. so weather isn’t always great..I tan yes...I want to go back on finasteride as my hair loss is getting worse but people have reported mental health issues which scares me as I’m prone to
Low mood..I’m sure I read DHT is need for you mood

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I live in the U.K. so weather isn’t always great..I tan yes...I want to go back on finasteride as my hair loss is getting worse but people have reported mental health issues which scares me as I’m prone to

Mental sides are a possible side effect, but i experienced no mental sides on finasteride or dutasteride and i am prone to depression and anxiety. neither got worse.

jazz1

Reaction score

Hey I’m from London, what about trying Topical Finasteride that’s what I use.......

Scotty121

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey I’m from London, what about trying Topical Finasteride that’s what I use.......
It’s still going to deep into
The brain surely..Don’t get me wrong finasteride does work I don’t doubt it but at what cost to mental health or future problems is scary and very risky to mess with..I took it 13 years ago out of desperation but I do honestly wonder what damage has been done

Zov123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride definitely increased my depression, however my rationale for going with it was that I would get depressed just by looking at my hair go.

This is anecdotal of course, so don’t rush to conclusions.

Scotty121

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride definitely increased my depression, however my rationale for going with it was that I would get depressed just by looking at my hair go.

This is anecdotal of course, so don’t rush to conclusions.
But isn’t looking at getting depressed over losing it a mindset that can be challenged?

jazz1

Reaction score
It’s still going to deep into
The brain surely..Don’t get me wrong finasteride does work I don’t doubt it but at what cost to mental health or future problems is scary and very risky to mess with..I took it 13 years ago out of desperation but I do honestly wonder what damage has been done

You can try Topical Finasteride and see...........

Scotty121

My Regimen
Reaction score
You can try Topical Finasteride and see...........
By the time we know if it does there is the risk of long term damage for all we know. I wish there was clarity on all this. Just when I see mentioning of neurosteroid Influences that cant be good

Scotty121

My Regimen
Reaction score
Never had any as far as I could tell. Well, other than it stopped working as well after a while
Yeah it stopped working for me as well I thought that too...I’ve been off it for a year n a half now...I’m just paranoid of the long term Potential cognitive risks

castleren

My Regimen
Reaction score
I get where you're coming from. I've heard some folks mention similar things about finasteride. It's important to talk to a doctor about your mood and skin changes, or at least contact hotlines for mental health. They can help you figure out the best way to address these concerns. Hang in there!

Last edited: