Finasteride Decreasing Test. ? Possible?

Sir_LagaLot

Established Member
Reaction score
So finasteride is supposed to keep testosterone from converting to DHT, thereby freeing up more testosterone BUT is it possible its somehow decreasing Testosterone?.. I was reading up on the symptoms of low test. and i seem to have pretty much quite a few.. such as the decrease in libido throughout this year on 1 mg finasteride.. and gaining weight on the chest and abdominal area, then theres the low energy level throughout the day.. a sort of fatigue.. and i know this is due to finasteride, what i dont understand is why?

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I saw an article on the net where a doctor was finding a lot of propecia users with low DHT and low test. Even after quitting the propecia, the test remained low, despite normal DHT then. I think it just depends on the person, you may be one of these rare cases.

Sir_LagaLot

Established Member
Reaction score
excellent.. it makes sense.. low on energy all day long, increase in body fat.. stamina is screwed, and a messed up libido..

anybody know the tests i should get done? Testosterone and Serum Estrogen is it?

Subliminal

Established Member
Reaction score
finasteride (proscar) has been reported to increase serum Test, due to inhibiting conversion of Test to DHT.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... med_docsum

Test naturally falls as you get older, but should only do so gradually. Any sudden loss of Test is likely associated with other factors besides finasteride.

But I think you just need to get Test and Free Test measured.

Sir_LagaLot

Established Member
Reaction score
is it safe to take an estrogen antagonist such as nolvadex while you're on finasteride just as a precaution? i mean athletes take it after a steroid cycle, but in my case i'm taking finasteride throughout. not that its done much for me, but i'm still planning on giving it a further 3-4 months. Would it be safe to take nolvadex if i suspect an estrogen excess is contributing to these symptoms? the fatigue ? increase in body fat and decrease in libido?..

anybody here combatting excess estrogen with tamoxifen?

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Nolvadex is know to cause impotence and low libido. So I would not take it to counteract those symptoms, lol.

Shielded

Reaction score
Finasteride's potential side effects are scary, regarding how it affects your body. Your situation isn't uncommon...there are several (if not more) members on this forum who won't take any finasteride on a day they know they're gonna get laid.

Why don't you switch over to Dutasteride? Supposedly does a better job with hair loss without all the wacky side effects.

Try this androgen to help with sex drive and testosterone and stuff:
http://www.vitacost.com/NSIMensPassionB ... D-yahoossp
This stuff has 250mg of L-Arginine in it, but you can buy L-Arginine caps online in 500mg or 1000mg capsules. A lot of members here who use Rogaine, take 500mg-1000mg L-Arginine daily.

docj077

Reaction score
Low testosterone levels in someone taking propecia makes sense. Initially, the lack of testosterone conversion to DHT will cause a large increase in testosterone. However, testosterone works through a negative feedback mechanism to inhibit the release of LH and FSH. It's really like injecting anabolic steroids. It basically shuts down the entire sex hormone system in a male, because of its mechanism of action.

CCS

Reaction score
I would think that if test went up to 105% normal, the feedback loop would make a little less to bring it back down to 100%, not drop it all the way down.

I heard that L-arginine is not absorbed well, and that you should take another kind that is bonded to another amino acid. i think the tiger told me about this. what was it called again? GNC only has the L form of everything. The same is true with glutamine. The L form actually increases amonia levels because it is not stable in water, but is in the cells. funny because I think dutasteride will not react with water in rogaine because it does not with water in the blood.

i don't know what to say about your levels being low, or if the finasteride caused it. too bad we don't have a before and after. we just have how your sex drive changed.

Shielded

Reaction score
docj077 said:
Low testosterone levels in someone taking propecia makes sense. Initially, the lack of testosterone conversion to DHT will cause a large increase in testosterone. However, testosterone works through a negative feedback mechanism to inhibit the release of LH and FSH. It's really like injecting anabolic steroids. It basically shuts down the entire sex hormone system in a male, because of its mechanism of action.
So when you take Finasteride, you are shutting down the sex hormone? Jesus f*** that's awful.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
docj077 said:

You have it completely backwards! :D

DHT is a player in the feedback system regulating androgen production. When you start taking finasteride, the brain sees that sharp reduction in DHT, so it sends the signals (by way of LH and FSH) to the testes to start making more testosterone. That's why testosterone, LH, and FSH all go up by around 10% or so when you take finasteride.

Bryan

travbedaman

Reaction score
Bryan said:
docj077 said:

DHT is a player in the feedback system regulating androgen production. When you start taking finasteride, the brain sees that sharp reduction in DHT, so it sends the signals (by way of LH and FSH) to the testes to start making more testosterone. That's why testosterone, LH, and FSH all go up by around 10% or so when you take finasteride.

Bryan

If Testosterone is about 10% higher while on finasteride then why am I getting side effects of lowered Testosterone? Drastically lower libido, fat gain, decreased endurance and strength in the gym?

bubka

Reaction score
Shielded said:
Finasteride's potential side effects are scary, regarding how it affects your body. Your situation isn't uncommon...there are several (if not more) members on this forum who won't take any finasteride on a day they know they're gonna get laid.

Why don't you switch over to Dutasteride? Supposedly does a better job with hair loss without all the wacky side effects.

Try this androgen to help with sex drive and testosterone and stuff:
http://www.vitacost.com/NSIMensPassionB ... D-yahoossp
This stuff has 250mg of L-Arginine in it, but you can buy L-Arginine caps online in 500mg or 1000mg capsules. A lot of members here who use Rogaine, take 500mg-1000mg L-Arginine daily.
wow, some BS and a link to snake oil, awesome

seriously, Dutasteride has shown to have higher sides than finasteride (at BPG doses respectively), and there has yet to have been a large scale hair loss study

docj077

Reaction score
Bryan said:
docj077 said:

Bryan

Testosterone and DHT cause negative feedback upon the hypothalamus and the anterior pituitary. They inhibits the release of GnRH and pituitary gonadotropes.

With no DHT production, testosterone levels increase in the blood and hinder the release of GnRH, LH, and FSH.

The metabolite of testosterone, estrogen, also directly inhibits the release of GnRH, LH, and FSH. So, we have more testosterone initially lowing gonadotrope levels which lowers testosterone levels. As those levels fall, LH release will increase to bring it back up. Unfortunately, that testosterone is converted to estrogen which once again negatively effects the release of previously mentioned hormones. So, no matter what the body does, testosterone levels will eventually become lower after an initial spike.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
docj077 said:
Testosterone and DHT cause negative feedback upon the hypothalamus and the anterior pituitary. They inhibits the release of GnRH and pituitary gonadotropes.

With no DHT production, testosterone levels increase in the blood and hinder the release of GnRH, LH, and FSH.

Nope. As I said before, it raises LH and FSH, and testosterone as a result.

docj077 said:
The metabolite of testosterone, estrogen, also directly inhibits the release of GnRH, LH, and FSH. So, we have more testosterone initially lowing gonadotrope levels which lowers testosterone levels. As those levels fall, LH release will increase to bring it back up. Unfortunately, that testosterone is converted to estrogen which once again negatively effects the release of previously mentioned hormones. So, no matter what the body does, testosterone levels will eventually become lower after an initial spike.

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. It doesn't go up and down like a yo-yo.

Bryan

docj077

Reaction score
Bryan said:
docj077 said:

Nope. As I said before, it raises LH and FSH, and testosterone as a result.

docj077 said:

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. It doesn't go up and down like a yo-yo.

Bryan

Well, I'm not going to argue any more with you. The way I type it is the way that every medical professional is taught to learn it. I just took medical physiology at the M.D. level not more than three months ago.

Testosterone does not raise LH and FSH. That's why men who go through andropause have decreased testosterone, but increased LH and FSH as the negative feedback mechansims are no longer in place.

Taken from MDConsult.com

Causes of hypogonadism vary with age. Boys and young men with hypogonadism often have a congenital abnormality, most commonly Klinefelter's syndrome, a primary testicular disorder resulting in small, undeveloped testes and elevated serum gonadotropins. Most hypogonadal men aged 30 to 50 years have a combination of primary and secondary hypogonadism. There is both a gradual increase in LH serum concentration indicating a degree of primary hypogonadism as well as blunting of LH secretory bursts indicating a degree of secondary hypogonadism. As men age, serum testosterone decreases approximately 1% to 2% a year after age 30 and, accompanied by an age-associated decrease in SHBG resulting in an even lower free T concentration, eventually resulting in a condition some have termed ADAM, or androgen deficiency in the aging male. Others call this period of life andropause or EDAM (endocrine decline in aging males). This period is characterized also by an increase in SHBG and a decrease in Leydig cell count, which, along with declining testosterone production, result in increased body fat, decreased bone mineral density, mood and memory problems, decreased sexual desire, and diminished strength and energy. The existence of this period of declining hormone reproduction is clear, but the presence of a characteristic syndrome that can be identified in all men is less certain. Some men over age 70 years still have T levels in the upper third of males 20 to 40 years of age [64]. Symptoms of this syndrome, including all those noted in Box 5, may also result from aging shifts of other hormones including growth hormone, melatonin, and leptins [65]. Measurement of all these other hormones is probably not useful in the context of the man with sexual problems since normal levels and management protocols have not been worked out.

Emergency Medicine Clinics of North America
Volume 23 • Number 3 • August 2005
Copyright © 2005 W. B. Saunders Company

Anabolic Steroids: What Should the Emergency Physician Know?

James T. Brown, MD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OSF Saint Francis Medical Center, 530 N.E. Glen Oak, Peoria, IL 61637, USA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E-mail address: JBrown5005@aol.com

REPRODUCTIVE/ENDOCRINE
In men, anabolic steroid use leads to hypogonadotropic hypogonadism, resulting from the suppression of LH and follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) mediated through the negative feedback loop of the hypothalamic–pituitary–gonadal axis [1]. Because LH and FSH are essential for spermatogenesis, the resulting physiologic effects of anabolic steroid use include decreased sperm density and sperm count, decreased sperm motility, abnormal sperm morphology, testicular atrophy, and no change in libido [1]. Increasing doses of anabolic steroids will lead to oligospermia and infertility [31]. Nomalization generally occurs within 1 year of cessation of the anabolic steroids [32], [33]. Feminization in males can occur from the conversion of testosterone to estrogen metabolites (aromatization) [20]. The increased estrogens may result in increased voice pitch and gynecomastia.

In women, anabolic steroid use leads to hirsutism, acne, deepening of the voice, clitoral hypertrophy, decreased breast mass, decreased menstruation or amenorrhea, increased appetite, and male pattern baldness. Even after discontinuation of the causative agent, these effects are sometimes irreversible [34].

Anabolic steriods refer to androgen-based substances.

Not only that, but the decrease in testosterone levels also decreases estrogen levels leading to eventual osteoporosis in the male.

Also, it does go up and down like a yo-yo. That's why GnRH antagonists that are used for prostate cancer must be long lasting and are given weekly to monthly depending on the staging. If it wasn't, the hypothalamic-pituitatry axis would once again restart. The fluctuations are also seasonal.

It says the exact same thing that I've been saying in my medical physiology book that I have from the Sanford School of Medicine at the University of South Dakota where I'm a student. Endocrinology is a required course within the medical physiology component of first year.

Taken from First Aid USMLE Step 1:

Testosterone:

Differentiates male genitalia, has anabolic effects on protein metabolism, maintains gametogenesis, maintains libido, inhibits GnRH, and fuses epiphyseal plates in bone.

0201.gif

Figure 1. Schematized notion of postulated feedback actions of testosterone in the normal male GnRH-LH-gonadal axis. In situ denotes feedback mediated by putative central (hypothalamic-pituitary) aromatization of testosterone to estradiol, rather than by peripheral blood estradiol levels. Other nonaromatizable androgens act like DHT on the hypothalamus to suppress the action of GnRH (Gonadotropin Releasing Hormone) secreting neurons as well as acting on the pituitary to suppress LH. Gonadotropes are LH/FSH secreting pituitary cells. The lower block illustrates testosterone and estradiol secreted from the testes. Adapted from Schnorr JA, Bray MJ, Veldhuis JD. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001 Jun; 86(6):2600-6.

You guys are very, very wrong about this one.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
docj077 said:
Well, I'm not going to argue any more with you. The way I type it is the way that every medical professional is taught to learn it. I just took medical physiology at the M.D. level not more than three months ago.

I don't think you understood what I tried to tell you in my previous posts. Let's step through it again one more time:

docj077 said:
Testosterone does not raise LH and FSH.

But I never SAID that testosterone raises LH and FSH. Like I said earlier in this thread, you have things backwards! :wink: LH and FSH raise testosterone (not the other way around), which is the REASON that testosterone rises a little when you take finasteride. It's the sharp reduction in DHT that presumably causes the rise in LH and FSH.

docj077 said:
Also, it does go up and down like a yo-yo.

Again, you didn't understand the main point of what I was telling you. I objected to the following statement you made:

"So, we have more testosterone initially lowing gonadotrope levels which lowers testosterone levels. As those levels fall, LH release will increase to bring it back up. Unfortunately, that testosterone is converted to estrogen which once again negatively effects the release of previously mentioned hormones."

I was trying to get across to you that testosterone levels almost certainly reach homeostasis rather quickly when you start taking a drug like finasteride. You seemed to be suggesting (maybe it's not what you really MEANT to suggest) that testosterone levels go through this weird "yo-yo" action where first they go up, then they go down, then they go up again, then down again, etc., before they finally settle on some relatively balanced steady-state level. I'm just trying to tell you that they don't yo-yo like that up and down. They almost certainly reach the "balanced" level right away. You were reading more into that than what I really wanted you to.

docj077 said:

I hope you understand now what I was saying.

Bryan

docj077

Reaction score
Bryan said:
docj077 said:

I don't think you understood what I tried to tell you in my previous posts. Let's step through it again one more time:

docj077 said:
Testosterone does not raise LH and FSH.

But I never SAID that testosterone raises LH and FSH. Like I said earlier in this thread, you have things backwards! :wink: LH and FSH raise testosterone (not the other way around), which is the REASON that testosterone rises a little when you take finasteride. It's the sharp reduction in DHT that presumably causes the rise in LH and FSH.

docj077 said:
Also, it does go up and down like a yo-yo.

Again, you didn't understand the main point of what I was telling you. I objected to the following statement you made:

"So, we have more testosterone initially lowing gonadotrope levels which lowers testosterone levels. As those levels fall, LH release will increase to bring it back up. Unfortunately, that testosterone is converted to estrogen which once again negatively effects the release of previously mentioned hormones."

I was trying to get across to you that testosterone levels almost certainly reach homeostasis rather quickly when you start taking a drug like finasteride. You seemed to be suggesting (maybe it's not what you really MEANT to suggest) that testosterone levels go through this weird "yo-yo" action where first they go up, then they go down, then they go up again, then down again, etc., before they finally settle on some relatively balanced steady-state level. I'm just trying to tell you that they don't yo-yo like that up and down. They almost certainly reach the "balanced" level right away. You were reading more into that than what I really wanted you to.

docj077 said:

I hope you understand now what I was saying.

Bryan

Yeah, I thought you were trying to say that testosterone doesn't feedback into the hypothalamus and anterior pituitary. I was getting a little frustrated. LH does cause the release of testosterone from Leydig cells and FSH causes the release of androgen binding protein from sertoli cells. However, elevated testosterone levels will inhibit the release of LH and FSH by directly inhibiting the hypothalamus and anterior pituitary. Inhibin also plays a part in the feeback system.

Sorry if I was tough to follow.

markelbentley

Established Member
Reaction score
this is interesting

whenever i started dutasteride, i noticed a lot of positive changes. My skin was much, much healthier looking, i looked fresher and what not, i felt more energetic, etc. Maybe this could be a result of increased testosterone production? Then, after taking for a while things went back to normal. Maybe this could be due to regulation of testosteron (lowering level) as my body got used to the effects of dutasteride on decreasing DHT. Now, when i stop taking dutasteride for a a few days i get the same positive effectst that i experienced when i first started taking it. Is there any way of maintaining increased testosteron levels? this post probably makes no sense...

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: this is interesting

markelbentley said:
Now, when i stop taking dutasteride for a a few days i get the same positive effectst that i experienced when i first started taking it.

Kinda hard to explain, given the very long half-life of dutasteride! :wink:

Bryan