Finasteride causing more night time urination??

Nex

Established Member
Reaction score
I started taking finasteride about a month ago now. And it has actually increased my night time urination. I wake up about several times during the night having to pee. I am confused because I thought this drug is supposed to help night time urination? And I cant find anyone that has the same side effect as me.. Has anyone heard of this before? Will it resolve itself in time? It is getting to the point that I may drop finasteride because I can't get a proper nights sleep...

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
With taking Propecia I don't feel as strong when I piss, so it might not clear out the bladder in full when you do go to the toilet.

I honestly think finasteride does something to the kegel muscles and the prostate at the same time. Since I have stopped taking it my piss is stronger, my ejaculation shoots further (pardon my crudeness!) and I feel empty when I piss.

Nex

Established Member
Reaction score
Ya this is weird though because don't older men take proscar for BPH?? And one of the symptoms of BPH is frequent night time urination?? I am very confused...

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
BPH is simply enlargement of the prostate, which puts pressure on the urethra where it exits the bladder. This causes difficulty during urination, and can result in excessive urine storage in the bladder. Excessive urine causes a feeling of urgency, and having to get up at night to urinate (nocturia).

For a healthy man with a normal prostate, finasteride is not known to cause urine-related side effects such as increased frequency or nocturia. The cause of nocturia is excessive urine in the bladder. This can probably be solved by urinating immediately before going to sleep and don't drink anything (especially diuretics) within a couple hours of bedtime. If you are waking up with a sense of urgency and you aren't urinating that much, there might be something else going on and you should speak with a urologist. Infections (bladder, prostate), STD's and even stress can cause urgency.