finasteride caused Telogen Effluvium - Should I keep taking it or quit?

Thespain

Established Member
Reaction score
Basically I'm pretty sure I have Telogen Effluvium, and that it's from finasteride. I had a really bad shed 8 weeks after starting, and the hair hasn't grown back (I was a Norwood 1.5 pre finasteride now I'm a Norwood 2.5). Now, I'm noticing hairs on my nape and behind my ears falling out, which I heard is a sign of Telogen Effluvium.

What should I do? If I ride it out will the hair grow back? Do I need to quit? This really sucks if I have to quit.

Thespain

Established Member
Reaction score
The common advice is that you should give it 6 months atleast. finasteride sheds are common. It is distressing but could also be indicative that the treatment is working.

Here, check this out:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/hair-loss-news/article223.php

Six months after my shedding stopped or six months after I began using propecia? My shed stopped four months ago, but since then I've losing hairs on the back of my neck, around the sides of my head, and on my hairline, clumps of two, three or four.

- - - Updated - - -

I should also mention that when i lightly pull on my eyebrow hair, one or two come out.

br1

Reaction score
Six months after you start using it. 1 year (after starting) seems to be the time you need to get the best results.

Thespain

Established Member
Reaction score
Six months after you start using it. 1 year (after starting) seems to be the time you need to get the best results.

I think you are misreading what I wrote. I don't have normal shedding, I have Telogen Effluvium, I suspect from finasteride. I don't know if the shock will be temporary and my hair will get used to low DHT levels, or if I have developed Chronic Telogen Effluvium, which will last years. What I am asking, is for people who have experienced this.

Did Telogen Effluvium from finasteride adjust, or did it turn into chronic Telogen Effluvium?

Xxx001

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think you are misreading what I wrote. I don't have normal shedding, I have Telogen Effluvium, I suspect from finasteride. I don't know if the shock will be temporary and my hair will get used to low DHT levels, or if I have developed Chronic Telogen Effluvium, which will last years. What I am asking, is for people who have experienced this.

Did Telogen Effluvium from finasteride adjust, or did it turn into chronic Telogen Effluvium?

Bump

Hey Thespain,

I am EXACTLY in the same situation as you with the propecia, ie telogen effluvium.

How is your situation now? You stopped or you continue to take it?

Thank you in advance.

DGARCIA694

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys. Happy days here is some reassurance for you all. My symptoms seem to have mimicked thespains, about a month of mad shedding after quitting then about 3/4 months of light shedding - often accompanied with a soft insect bite sort of feeling. It's been 5 months since I've quit and the shedding had completely finally stopped. Not noticing any hairs on pillows, about 10 in shower and none on towel. The strange crawly feelings have also basically stopped, altho I experience it sometimes I feel it could be placebo.

Hold tight bros xx

imsupercereal

My Regimen
Reaction score
Similar situation here, I've been on finasteride for almost 8 months and have experienced accelerated diffuse thinning across entire top of head, hair also becoming thinner along back and sides, particularly next to ears. Haven't experienced reduced libido, but I've had chronic mild testicle ache, decreased facial hair thickness, and increased ejaculatory volume (weird right?). Anyways, I know people say to wait a year but it feels like my body isn't taking to kindly to the drug...the chronic testicle ache is particularly alarming :(

kopiko4

My Regimen
Reaction score
Similar situation here, I've been on finasteride for almost 8 months and have experienced accelerated diffuse thinning across entire top of head, hair also becoming thinner along back and sides, particularly next to ears. Haven't experienced reduced libido, but I've had chronic mild testicle ache, decreased facial hair thickness, and increased ejaculatory volume (weird right?). Anyways, I know people say to wait a year but it feels like my body isn't taking to kindly to the drug...the chronic testicle ache is particularly alarming :(
any updates?