Finasteride Cause Of Memory Loss/bad Memory?

Finasteride27

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm a male, 27 years old. I've been on Finasteride for about 2 years. I'm currently doing 0.33 mg/day and my hair situation is stable. I'm quite sure I've gotten overall much thicker hair. I have one SMALL temple that's gotten a tiny bit worse, but it's not really noticeable.. So I'm quite happy.

However, I have a little bit hard to get my dick up sometimes, I don't see this as a big problem though and I think it might be all in my head.

Though my brain feels slower, it takes a longer time to understand things. And my memory is so f*****g bad right now, and being 27 it shouldn't start to get worse already. Most noticeable is when watching a movie, few years ago I could've seen a movie 5 years ago and it would be to boring watching again cause I remember everything. Now if I watched something 1 year ago, I can watch it again - cause I've forgotten so much about the movie.
Or like I watched True Detective 4 years ago (Released 2014) and my sister asked about it the other day -> The only thing I could tell her was "it's about 2 detectives", this sort of freaked me out. How can I not remember it more clearly? It's a series, I watched about 8 hours of it....

This is just one out of many things I noticed. It's just the same if I meet someone new - I forget most of the things they told me. So I'm quite sure I ask the same thing plenty of times.. Or if someone tells me "I'm gonna do this in 2 weeks" and after 2 weeks I've totally forgotten about it.

Also memories from my youth has become really blurry, so seems like short- and long term memory has just been totally fucked.

I know memory loss can be caused by plenty of stuff. I was really stressed 2 years ago, about the same time I started Finasteride. But my memory hasn't gotten better since then, and currently i'm not stressed (other than being a little bit stressed about my memory, lol) I've read that one thing DHT can do with you is giving you better memory. So it would be logical if cutting DHT would give you worse memory?

Anyone else had the same problem as me? Did stopping finasteride help?

abcdefg

Reaction score
If some of that is true then I have been hosed my whole life even without touching finasteride. I been like that my whole life.
I dont use it so I cant comment on your question, but I have been debating trying it recently. I just feel people I know would advise me against using a drug for something like hair loss. Drugs are not generally looked upon favorably.

reyl

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you really think it's the finasteride, consider microdosing: https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...teride-test-commence-contains-pictures.99873/ OP ended up quitting but other people in the thread mentioned it working out well for them.

"Brain fog" is definitely possible with finasteride but just know that the nocebo effect(opposite of placebo) is very prevalent with the amount of information online about this drug.

Make sure you're getting enough sunlight and outside time as opposed to only being inside.

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm a male, 27 years old. I've been on Finasteride for about 2 years. I'm currently doing 0.33 mg/day and my hair situation is stable. I'm quite sure I've gotten overall much thicker hair. I have one SMALL temple that's gotten a tiny bit worse, but it's not really noticeable.. So I'm quite happy.

However, I have a little bit hard to get my dick up sometimes, I don't see this as a big problem though and I think it might be all in my head.

Though my brain feels slower, it takes a longer time to understand things. And my memory is so f*****g bad right now, and being 27 it shouldn't start to get worse already. Most noticeable is when watching a movie, few years ago I could've seen a movie 5 years ago and it would be to boring watching again cause I remember everything. Now if I watched something 1 year ago, I can watch it again - cause I've forgotten so much about the movie.
Or like I watched True Detective 4 years ago (Released 2014) and my sister asked about it the other day -> The only thing I could tell her was "it's about 2 detectives", this sort of freaked me out. How can I not remember it more clearly? It's a series, I watched about 8 hours of it....

This is just one out of many things I noticed. It's just the same if I meet someone new - I forget most of the things they told me. So I'm quite sure I ask the same thing plenty of times.. Or if someone tells me "I'm gonna do this in 2 weeks" and after 2 weeks I've totally forgotten about it.

Also memories from my youth has become really blurry, so seems like short- and long term memory has just been totally fucked.

I know memory loss can be caused by plenty of stuff. I was really stressed 2 years ago, about the same time I started Finasteride. But my memory hasn't gotten better since then, and currently i'm not stressed (other than being a little bit stressed about my memory, lol) I've read that one thing DHT can do with you is giving you better memory. So it would be logical if cutting DHT would give you worse memory?

Yes these are the exact same symptoms i had but mine were worse. Everything will go back to normal after you come off it, normally takes about a few weeks/months. I lost a lot of ground hair wise but have managed to stabilize with RU.

CDF

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes these are the exact same symptoms i had but mine were worse. Everything will go back to normal after you come off it, normally takes about a few weeks/months. I lost a lot of ground hair wise but have managed to stabilize with RU.
Hi Murkey Thumb, what is RU? Thanks

couldntthinkofaname

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
finasteride is suspected to trigger alzheimer but youre a little young for that

However finasteride affects neurosteroids and brain chemistry

CDF

My Regimen
Reaction score
finasteride is suspected to trigger alzheimer but youre a little young for that

However finasteride affects neurosteroids and brain chemistry
Yes, I had to quit cold turkey. I didn't even bother to ween myself off for fear of irreversible damage if I didn't get off it right away. I must say I'm starting to feel mentally better and it's been about 9 days since quitting

Bryant12

My Regimen
Reaction score
I also got brain fog, and sluttered speech...one time trying to open my lock at work, which i have been using for 3 years.... 1 day I completely forgot the 2nd number to it, it was so wierd. I spent like 20 minutes trying to open my locker.

ChristianSol

My Regimen
Reaction score

You're 100000000000000000000000 (one trillion) % not alone here! I started on Finasteride in 2003 when I was 26 and within 6 months I was panicking about my memory. I met with a number of doctors and spent two days with a neuropsychologist taking a battery of tests from blood tests to the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale III (with a Full Scale IQ of 132). My memory had taken a hardcore left turn into nowheresville. The doctor & his report couldn't figure out what was going on and NO ONE at that time suspected Finasteride. CUT TO: 13 years later (2016) and I'm still struggling with several issues; led by memory, anxiety, not sleeping well, low drive, and emotional flatness... yup, all 5. Big winner here. (still have my sense of humor apparently). I decided in 2016 to wein off of it. I've been off for 18 months now and there has been NO CHANGE to these issues. My hair of course has made that same hard left to nowheresville and I'm left wondering if the side effects aren't going to subside / if I should just go back on it a this point and keep my hair as a consolation prize. Yaaaaaaaay Finasteride. :(

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score

What is your dose for RU, 50mg per day? Did you not lose any more hair after starting RU? Any sides from it?

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You're 100000000000000000000000 (one trillion) % not alone here! I started on Finasteride in 2003 when I was 26 and within 6 months I was panicking about my memory. I met with a number of doctors and spent two days with a neuropsychologist taking a battery of tests from blood tests to the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale III (with a Full Scale IQ of 132). My memory had taken a hardcore left turn into nowheresville. The doctor & his report couldn't figure out what was going on and NO ONE at that time suspected Finasteride. CUT TO: 13 years later (2016) and I'm still struggling with several issues; led by memory, anxiety, not sleeping well, low drive, and emotional flatness... yup, all 5. Big winner here. (still have my sense of humor apparently). I decided in 2016 to wein off of it. I've been off for 18 months now and there has been NO CHANGE to these issues. My hair of course has made that same hard left to nowheresville and I'm left wondering if the side effects aren't going to subside / if I should just go back on it a this point and keep my hair as a consolation prize. Yaaaaaaaay Finasteride. :(
I've read some testimonials of people stating that if you get sides the first time and quit it's possible to get more severe sides next time you try. Not wanting to scare you. It's just something you may wanna consider.

ChristianSol

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've read some testimonials of people stating that if you get sides the first time and quit it's possible to get more severe sides next time you try. Not wanting to scare you. It's just something you may wanna consider.
Appreciate that. Truth is I probably wouldn’t touch the stuff again given what I’ve now read and experienced. 16 years of my life has been drastically shifted in a negative way as a result of Finasteride- years, experiences, life I can never get back. I’d be curious if anyone has ever come across ways to safely reboot those inhibited parts of the brain? I can’t comprehend how there hasn’t been a class action lawsuit in the USA against Merck.

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You never had any sexual sides? I believe there are some ongoing class action lawsuits I believe...

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What is your dose for RU, 50mg per day? Did you not lose any more hair after starting RU? Any sides from it?
No I didn't get sides from it, just a bit of derma on my hands which went away when I switched to applying with gloves. I am not using it now as I have children in the house and didn't want to risk any accidental transference. It works well for maintenance but watch which vehicle you use.

K505

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think i have had shitty memory even without finasteride.
But yes, one day i ate dinner and then later on that day i had a hard time remembering what it was i ate...

I also think about hair loss everyday and it could possibly be that whats causing it (it probably is), oh and the depression :)

And even the dermatologist i visited said finasteride can cause alzheimers or something, that was the first time i heard those 2 linked together...