finasteride better than dutasteride in some casese? BRYAN take a look

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
Peter Mac finally responded to me....unfortunately all he could find for me was a thread from hlh from 2005. There Bryan posted excerpts from a study showing that some "genotypes" may responded better to finasteride (finasteride inhibits more dht in these genotypes). Bryan do you remember posting this? Where did you find that study? you didnt post a link to it in that thread.

More importantly...do you still feel the same way?

here is the link
http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/mess ... SGDBTABLE=

T

Timi

dutasteride

finasteride works Good for me

dutasteride
Oh my God it have destroyd my hair
the biggest error in my Live

Timi

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
Re: dutasteride

Timi said:
finasteride works Good for me

dutasteride
Oh my God it have destroyd my hair
the biggest error in my Live

Timi

timi...we get the point...you sound like a broken record..

Hopefully Bryan reads this soon.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
hair today gone tomorrow said:
Peter Mac finally responded to me....unfortunately all he could find for me was a thread from hlh from 2005. There Bryan posted excerpts from a study showing that some "genotypes" may responded better to finasteride (finasteride inhibits more dht in these genotypes).

I didn't post any excerpts from any study. Some of the others did that. All _I_ did was contest the idea that dutasteride supposedly has less "variation" than finasteride in its ability to inhibit 5a-reductase.

Bryan do you remember posting this? Where did you find that study? you didnt post a link to it in that thread.

At least a couple of other people were referring to some such study, but I don't know which one it is, either. I don't see a link to any such study in that thread, either, so I'm not sure what the other posters are referring to.

I think I'll post again in that thread myself, asking for a clarification.

I still feel the same way about what I posted, which is that as far as I can tell (from the material I have available to me), dutasteride has about the same level of "variation" as finasteride.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Peter Mac finally responded to me....unfortunately all he could find for me was a thread from hlh from 2005. There Bryan posted excerpts from a study showing that some "genotypes" may responded better to finasteride (finasteride inhibits more dht in these genotypes).

I didn't post any excerpts from any study. Some of the others did that. All _I_ did was contest the idea that dutasteride supposedly has less "variation" than finasteride in its ability to inhibit 5a-reductase.

[quote="hair today gone tomorrow":4516f]Bryan do you remember posting this? Where did you find that study? you didnt post a link to it in that thread.

At least a couple of other people were referring to some such study, but I don't know which one it is, either. I don't see a link to any such study in that thread, either, so I'm not sure what the other posters are referring to.

I think I'll post again in that thread myself, asking for a clarification.

I still feel the same way about what I posted, which is that as far as I can tell (from the material I have available to me), dutasteride has about the same level of "variation" as finasteride.[/quote:4516f]

what do you mean by variation?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score

We all know how the amount of DHT reduction from these drugs varies from one patient to the next, right? While the "average" reduction from Proscar in a large number of patients might be around 70% or so, one might have only 60%, while another has 75%. Another might have only a 50% reduction, while another might have as much as 80%. There's a variation of response in the population of patients.

What we were talking about in that thread on HLH is the following issue: which of those two drugs has less variation in its response, over a large number of patients?

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
Bryan said:

We all know how the amount of DHT reduction from these drugs varies from one patient to the next, right? While the "average" reduction from Proscar in a large number of patients might be around 70% or so, one might have only 60%, while another has 75%. Another might have only a 50% reduction, while another might have as much as 80%. There's a variation of response in the population of patients.

What we were talking about in that thread on HLH is the following issue: which of those two drugs has less variation in its response, over a large number of patients?

oh ok i get it...so person A might have an average reduction with proscar of 75% and an average reduction with avodart of 65%....that is there argument?

Are you saying you do not see any truth to this?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
oh ok i get it...so person A might have an average reduction with proscar of 75% and an average reduction with avodart of 65%....that is there argument?

This has nothing at all to do with AVERAGE levels of reduction, it has to do with how much VARIATION in reduction there is, across a large number of patients.

It's been claimed that dutasteride has less variation among its users than finasteride. But from the material I've seen, I don't really believe that. When the testing is done correctly, I think they have about the same levels of variation.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
Bryan said:

This has nothing at all to do with AVERAGE levels of reduction, it has to do with how much VARIATION in reduction there is, across a large number of patients.

It's been claimed that dutasteride has less variation among its users than finasteride. But from the material I've seen, I don't really believe that. When the testing is done correctly, I think they have about the same levels of variation.

but BRYAN...what about this part of the study.

In a few genotypes, finasteride showed better inhibition than dutasteride, indicating that genotyping of patients would be beneficial when choosing treatment. This also provides a possible answer as to why some people who treat their hair loss with finasteride see a lot of improvement when they switch to dutasteride, and why a few instead notice a worsening of their condition. It may very well be due to some genotypes responding better to one drug than the other."

this is where my question really is....how can this be?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's why I'm about to post again in that same thread on HLH. I want to read that study in its entirety, if somebody can cite it for me.

T

Timi

dutasteride

Bryan

DHT ist not all

dutasteride chance the hormonsystem and can make the bad Hairs
my Body goes fatter my Face my nake-my legs-***
sweat without end -strong tiredness -Depressions

my Hairs get better and better (dutasteride Stop)

i am back in my live

Never more dutasteride I swear that

Timi

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Timi,

dutasteride was too strong for you and you body reacted.

Explain why I get no sides on dutasteride yet finasteride put me to sleep. finasteride accelerated my hairloss over 7 months if anything..I am way way behind baseline. dutasteride is causing me shed but trying to keep faith as if neither work then i've had it.

I believe bad reaction to a drug is you body telling you it doesn't like it and then you will not see benefits so you should stop.

There is something different between these 2 drugs other than just DHT inhibition effects.

Nick

T

Timi

dutasteride

dutasteride was to strong

i think dutasteride helps by verry strong Hairloss
and other Genotyps

my Hairlos was over Years little
over mutsch Years thinning

my skin stands no more sun with dutasteride! my skin red
Sun allergy

bevor i was brown in the Sun

good Luck for all dutasteride User
thats no my Way it was no live more

Timi

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
No answers yet from anybody over there.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Seems unlikely to me that there really would be a certain kind of person in whom finasteride is more effective at reducing DHT than dutasteride. I just wish I could read whatever the hell it is they saw that made that claim.

I'm going to "bump" that thread again over there.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Seems unlikely to me that there really would be a certain kind of person in whom finasteride is more effective at reducing DHT than dutasteride. I just wish I could read whatever the hell it is they saw that made that claim.

I'm going to "bump" that thread again over there.

no need to, i already did....I got a response from farrel, you should go take a peak :D

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I see it now. I wondered if that was YOU posting incognito! :)