Finasteride appearing to stop working after 12 years

Cardinal~

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey @Optimistic what do you think about the thread "EVERYONE will get Finasteride side-effects eventually"? (sorry cant post links it seems)

debyne

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been on finasteride for 13 years and I'm 45 now. Zero loss in effectiveness but everyone is different. In fact, I dropped from 1mg in April to 0.67mg in September and felt physically/mentally better with no shedding. I tried 0.5mg but started shedding after 3 months.

Moz5x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How
I've been on finasteride for 13 years and I'm 45 now. Zero loss in effectiveness but everyone is different. In fact, I dropped from 1mg in April to 0.67mg in September and felt physically/mentally better with no shedding. I tried 0.5mg but started shedding after 3 months.
How do you measure 0.67mg? Has your hair quality maintained the entire 13yrs? Why did you decide to lower the dose?

debyne

Established Member
Reaction score
How

How do you measure 0.67mg? Has your hair quality maintained the entire 13yrs? Why did you decide to lower the dose?
finasteride absolutely maintained my hair from when I started 13 years ago. However, it was min that gave me really good regrowth.

I don't split the pill into thirds. I take 1mg on day 1 and then 0.5mg on days 2 and 3...repeat and that averages to 0.67mg.

I decided to lower the dose because of all the studies that claimed similar effectiveness with lower doses, so I dropped from 1mg to 0.5mg last April. I started to feel great but the shedding began after months 3-4. So, I upped it to 0.67mg and the shedding stopped after about 3 weeks but with no noticeable sides.

On 1mg, I had minor sides but nothing debilitating...brain fog here and there plus minimal morning wood but still got erections just fine. When I dropped to 0.5mg, any brain fog was gone and I got morning wood like crazy. The difference in how I felt was quite noticeable.

Optimistic

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey @Optimistic what do you think about the thread "EVERYONE will get Finasteride side-effects eventually"? (sorry cant post links it seems)
I don't believe that. There have been studies as well as anecdotal reports that Finasteride continues to work regardless of how long one has been taking it. It reduces DHT and continues to do so.

What may be happening is an accumulation of the drug over years and it being less, effective due to "build up". Some users have taken a break from Finasteride for a few weeks, restarted, and have improved effectiveness, however, that could merely be that they've lost ground and restarting has just brought them back to where they were.

It's difficult to know without official studies and blind testing. I just know that there's been a deterioration in my hair over the past couple of years.

I've now changed my Finasteride brand (taking 1mg at night), use 8% Minoxidil in the evening, use 5% Minoxidil and 0.05mg topical Finasteride in the morning, ketaconozole 2% (Nizoral) every 2 to 3 days. Before I use the topical solutions and the Nizoral I stimulate my scalp vigorously with a bristle brush or comb to optimise absorption.

Grim

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey pal, if you're looking for dutasteride. I get a prescription from a place called medical wellness center. They'll write you one for a fee and call it in to your local pharmacy. Thats what i use at least.