Finasteride And Trying To Have A Child

charliebrown

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'm 29 and i think i started balding around 1 or 2 years ago. I should be NW1 or NW1.5 or maybe Norwood 2. Normally if my hair is dry and i'm under the light, you can see through my scalp on the crown and on my hairline i started receding on the right side. I'm actually trying to have a baby with my wife right now and i'm not sure what to do. I do want to start taking finasteride to try whether or not i have side effects, but i don't want it to affect the baby making or the baby in anyway because we're not too young. Yet i also can't wait too long because i don't want to lose my hair even further. I haven't start Minoxidil yet because if possible i'd like to just do finasteride to maintain and i'd be happy with that.

Does anyone has any experience on this? Is topical finasteride safe to use? if it is, which should i use? The only thing in my regimen right now is keto shampoo2% twice per week and i've tried Regenera Activa(almost 3 months now after the treatment)

Donny29

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi there, I have been on finesteride 1mg for a while now, even prior to us trying for a baby and I had the same concerns as you. I ran all of my concerns through doctors and etc and was given the all clear. It’s your partner that should not come into contact with the medication as it can cause birth defects in male fetuses. We had a healthy baby boy with no defects, we had no issue getting pregnant and we are going again. That’s my experience but you should speak to your doctor before you go ahead to get clarification of your concerns.

charliebrown

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'll definitely speak to my doctor, but my appointment with him is still 1 mth away and i'm just getting a bit depressed with how i'm losing my hair and trying to have baby at the same time. Thanks for letting me know what you went through. Do you mind telling me your experiences when you started on Fina? Do you experience any sides?

Donny29

My Regimen
Reaction score
I started them straight after having a hair transplant so my head was already shaved and I was already going through post transplant blues, iv never experienced any sexual side effects on them. Don’t believe everything you read on the internet, hairloss is what it is. It sucks but it’s not the end of the world, and having a child is far more rewarding then having hair on your head! The thing iv learnt is always have a back up plan if your struggling mentally. I will be bald one day, what do I do then? SMP? Hair system? Toppik? Or embrace it? There’s trying to maintain your hair and then there’s other options once it’s all gone.

charliebrown

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah i agree man. I do want to at least try the big 3 and if it doesn't work out i want to be able to come to term with the fact that i'm balding since i think it'll be healthier that way. For me i'll probably go bald or hair system if there's any good one available around my area. But for now, i'm still trying to process it without getting too depressed. Thank you for answering my questions man!

Donny29

My Regimen
Reaction score
No problems at all brother! Always remember hair is just materialistic, it’s apart of our ego and that’s it. Good luck!

Wisemiller

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There has never been any reported case of birth problems due to the man taking finasteride. I had a healthy child on it a year ago. Remember, it is natural for men to start having kids quickly once they begin balding, and therefore a lot of children have been born on finasteride, and surely we would have heard of any problems at this point. The drug has been around for a long time.

UnaSutherlands

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had the same problem a few years ago, and I was incredibly scared that it could affect my fertility and the aby-making process, especially since my wife and I were planning on having a child. I talked to many doctors and experts in the field, and their opinions varied a lot. In the end, I decided not to go through the treatment since more than half of the professionals I talked to told me about the side effects this medicine has and how it may affect my body. Even though my fertility wasn't affected, my wife and I decided to become foster parents through the fosterplus.org agency instead of having our own children since we weren't ready yet.

Last edited: