Finasteride And Suffering From Dry Eyes

orange86

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi folks,

i started up finasteride again (been on it for 3 months) and my dry eyes have progressively got worse. I've had dry eyes for the past year but it's got so much worse in the past couple of weeks.
I have burning dry eye balls, its uncomfortable and when staring at the pc or in air con enviroment its down right painful.

I've stopped finasteride and going to see a dry eye clinic (in the UK).

Has anyone experienced this before?

veneno

My Regimen
Reaction score
lacrimal glands shrink just like the prostate and they need dht for the fluid secration 5alpha reductase is not only responsible of test convertion its needed for the chain reaction; the more you break it the more damage is going to occur

orange86

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks Veneno, now that i've stopped finasteride, any idea how long it would take to get some recovery in the lacrimal glands?
I work on a computer all day in office with air / con and it destroys my eyes. maybe the finasteride and work environment have caused this.

veneno

My Regimen
Reaction score
for me its getting better very slowly but every one is diffrent depending on your hormonal profile, if you are 100 sure that finasteride is the cause then only time will cure you otherwise go see a doctor

orange86

My Regimen
Reaction score
i'm not 100% sure, i think it could be heavy computer usage (low blink rate and high energy blue light) that could also have had an impact.
I'm going to a dry eye clinic tomorrow to get assesment on my eyes. I can't live with dry eyes and its 10x worse when at work. I'm in agony. my eyes ensure i can do the work and bring some money home lol

fffalling1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi mate, i lived this side effect and had to stop finasteride, now i am on dutasteride and it is ok.

NYK155

Reaction score
I was on 1 mg a day for 3.5 years. The last 6 months my eyes dried up really badly. I've been off finasteride for 3 months and my eyes feel considerably better. I've done a lot of reading about dosing and have concluded that 7 mg. a week is too much. I'm considering going back on and using 1 mg 3x a week. Even looking into topical finasteride to see if that is an option.

fffalling1

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was on 1 mg a day for 3.5 years. The last 6 months my eyes dried up really badly. I've been off finasteride for 3 months and my eyes feel considerably better. I've done a lot of reading about dosing and have concluded that 7 mg. a week is too much. I'm considering going back on and using 1 mg 3x a week. Even looking into topical finasteride to see if that is an option.
Did you have shedding at first months on finasteride?

NYK155

Reaction score
very little. I was never a big shedder. Even now, I've been off finasteride almost 4 months. My hair has thinned but I don't shed a lot. I going back and forth about whether or not I want to go back on.

orange86

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, it's been a couple of years since i posted on this thread. I developed severe MGD - Meibomian gland dysfunction where the oil glands truncate and atrophy causing severe dry eye disease. It's been horrific.

I took finasteride from Oct 2018 to Jan 2019, stopped in January due to developing over active bladder and took detrol anticholinergic med which dried my mouth out so stopped.
I hopped back on finasteride in Oct 2019 and stopped in Dec (as per first post above) due to severe dry eye disease.

my eyes were straining in the office prior to taking finasteride i believe and i went for a eye test in August 2018. The opticians prescribed me some glasses to wear, but that did not address the mgd.

Anyway, i took a blood panel back in February of this year, it shows my free testosterone to be under the normal range!! This might explain the severe mgd. See attached pic for test results.
If i take any synthetic test, im concerned it could shut down my natural production.

Attachments

• Thriva Feb'21 test results.jpg
    Thriva Feb'21 test results.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 144

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, it's been a couple of years since i posted on this thread. I developed severe MGD - Meibomian gland dysfunction where the oil glands truncate and atrophy causing severe dry eye disease. It's been horrific.

I took finasteride from Oct 2018 to Jan 2019, stopped in January due to developing over active bladder and took detrol anticholinergic med which dried my mouth out so stopped.
I hopped back on finasteride in Oct 2019 and stopped in Dec (as per first post above) due to severe dry eye disease.

my eyes were straining in the office prior to taking finasteride i believe and i went for a eye test in August 2018. The opticians prescribed me some glasses to wear, but that did not address the mgd.

Anyway, i took a blood panel back in February of this year, it shows my free testosterone to be under the normal range!! This might explain the severe mgd. See attached pic for test results.
If i take any synthetic test, im concerned it could shut down my natural production.
I don't follow but anything that reduces astigmatism is of interest to me. Is this MGD a reputed side or a listed one?