Finasteride and sleep

Reaction score
So it's been more than a week now that I have been trying finasteride (0.5 mg EOD) and everything is going fantastic but.... my sleep cycle seems to be very interrupted and I wake up after about 1 or 2 hours of sleep albeit falling in sleep again quickly thereafter.

Has anybody had this before? Is this just something my body does to adjust to the drug and can I expect it to wear off? Thank you for any replies...

br1

Reaction score
i had that when I quit finasteride. It went back to normal after a month or so. Though I can't really tell how much of that was due to stress, since I was having a massive shed/thinning/recession (not seen in 15 yrs).

Now I`m 2 weeks back on 0.5mg/ED and I am having a similar issue. I wake up after 4 hours (sharp), then I maintain a light sleep. Hope it will go back to normal in a couple more weeks.

good luck.

Reaction score
i had that when I quit finasteride. It went back to normal after a month or so. Though I can't really tell how much of that was due to stress, since I was having a massive shed/thinning/recession (not seen in 15 yrs).

Now I`m 2 weeks back on 0.5mg/ED and I am having a similar issue. I wake up after 4 hours (sharp), then I maintain a light sleep. Hope it will go back to normal in a couple more weeks.

good luck.

Thank you, please keep me updated and good luck to you as well.
You were on finasteride for over 13 years? What made you quit?

Reaction score
Personally I've never had that. But my sleep cycle seems to be adjusted by my environment. Have dogs that usually wake
me up certain times at night. Usually. But it seems that I also wake up that same time as well.

I am not 100% sure if this sleep thing is a finasteride side effect or just plain messing up my sleep from partying too hard last weekend, maybe a combination of both. It seems like a real side effect though, and I guess only time will tell. It's hard to draw the line between what really is a side effect or if it's just all in your head.

br1

Reaction score
Thank you, please keep me updated and good luck to you as well.
You were on finasteride for over 13 years? What made you quit?

I didn't want to take a pill for life, and honestly I thought the drug wasn't doing much for me.. I was wrong, I had gotten used to having a nice hair and when I quit finasteride I lost a HUGE amount of density in a matter of weeks..

Synaesthesia

Reaction score
I've been on finasteride for a little over 2 months, and have some difficulty falling asleep. This is despite intense physical exercise 6 days a week, very minimal stress, avoiding computers/screen hours before rest, as well as 1 hour meditation daily. It's not a crazy serious problem, but it is mildly annoying, and at the very minimum correlates with my use of finasteride.

br1

Reaction score
Problems to fall asleeparw usually anxiety related.

Even if the anxiety is not something you're really aware of. IMO finasteride issues would be like, waking up after a few hours falling asleep.. Meaning it has messed with the circadian rhythm. In had that both when I quit and when resumed finasteride. After a month or two it came back to normal.

Synaesthesia

Reaction score

Even if the anxiety is not something you're really aware of. IMO finasteride issues would be like, waking up after a few hours falling asleep.. Meaning it has messed with the circadian rhythm. In had that both when I quit and when resumed finasteride. After a month or two it came back to normal.
An out-of-sync circadian rhythm can go either way. You can either have difficulty falling asleep, or you can wake up before you're well rested. Experience with jet-lag from travelling between eastern & western hemispheres is proof enough. Anxiety is a problem I do not have.

DDobler

Established Member
Reaction score
I had problems with my sleep 3 weeks into finasteride, it subsided with time.

Reaction score

2 months after you quit or resumed it? I have no anxiety issues whatsoever and falling asleep isn't the problem for me, it's just that I constantly wake up after every 2 hours.

br1

Reaction score
When I quit.

Now, I resumed at 0.5mg ED. I'm on my 3rd week. And my sleep is improving..

For me was like waking up 4 hours after sleeping. Sharp. Going to bed at 00:00.. would wake up at 4am. If going to bed at 1am, would wake up at 5am.

Be patient, it will come back. In the meanwhile, try to get some physical activity going, eating healthy, etc.. I think it helps.

Cheers.

violetfluff

Reaction score
I had the same thing on 1mg/day. No difficulty getting to sleep but I would wake after only 3-4hrs sleep. It faded after several weeks and sleep patterns returned to normal while continuing to take the drug.

Reaction score
When I quit.

Now, I resumed at 0.5mg ED. I'm on my 3rd week. And my sleep is improving..

For me was like waking up 4 hours after sleeping. Sharp. Going to bed at 00:00.. would wake up at 4am. If going to bed at 1am, would wake up at 5am.

Be patient, it will come back. In the meanwhile, try to get some physical activity going, eating healthy, etc.. I think it helps.

Cheers.

Good to read your sleep is improving, and thanks, I will be patient and keeping my fingers crossed.

I had the same thing on 1mg/day. No difficulty getting to sleep but I would wake after only 3-4hrs sleep. It faded after several weeks and sleep patterns returned to normal while continuing to take the drug.

Yeah I have no difficulty falling asleep either it's just the interruptions. But reading you guys' posts I guess it's all just a matter of being patient.

br1

Reaction score
So, yeh last night I had an intense BJJ training (and I was up a bit early that morning) and was tired as hell... Short story, had a full night of sleep. From 00:00 to 7.45am.

:D

sjtuzhujie

Reaction score
So, yeh last night I had an intense BJJ training (and I was up a bit early that morning) and was tired as hell... Short story, had a full night of sleep. From 00:00 to 7.45am.

:D
Hi Br1,

Not sure if you are still active on this forum. I 'd like give it a try. I'm having exact sleep problem as you did, which is waking up 4 hrs after falling asleep. I just want to see how things are going for you. Did your sleep problem get resolved again in a month or two like before?

Best