Finasteride and receeding hairline?

sjb36

Reaction score
Good day all,

I have read from quite a few sources that finasteride is effective for scalp hair other than at the hairline. My hairline I am sure has receeded and don't want it to go back any further otherwise I'll be getting stocked up on more polish.

My question is has anyone found these statements as to the efficacy of finasteride on hairline recession? I'm guessing that there will always be the occasional person that has a result of some sort but I'd be interested in the general view.

If a lot have had results on the hairline then I will probably continue taking the Fincar. I just don't want to end up with man boobs as this is reported as a side effect. Lifes great at times eh I could end up not only increasing my shopping bill with more Mr Sheen but also but venturing into the ladies lingerie department to check out the B cups. Mines got to have frills or nothing will do.

Sir_LagaLot

Established Member
Reaction score
gyno side effects are incredibly rare. its not that finasteride doesnt work at all at the hairline, there are people here maintaining their hairlines just fine with just finasteride. it doesnt work as WELL as it does on the crown. You can throw minoxidil in for the hairline/temples etc just in case, or stick to just finasteride as you wish. either way you'll be better off.

circusrat

Reaction score
I have been taking 1.25g of finasteride a day for over that year. In that time my temple loss has been dramatic. I seriously doubt the finasteride did anything at all for my temples.

n1kki6

Established Member
Reaction score
When i was on finasteride it really helped my hairline, i think its hit or miss for people and i dont know if their is any actual data with proving either way.

Axon

Reaction score
Finasteride can (and does) work on the hairline. However, because the onset of follicle miniturization is far more rapid on the temples, it is generally percieved that finasteride has no effect on the hairline. This is a misunderstanding: it works, it's just your chances of seeing tangible results are far less than on the crown.

Remember, all male pattern baldness is the same. The follicles are affected by DHT (or whatever other chemical mechinism male pattern baldness consists of) and they slowly shrink with each new hair cycle, eventually becoming invisible to the human eye. The temples suffer this effect at a greater speed for whatever reason.

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well according to me i think finasteride works on the hairline IF

1) u have uniform hair loss, the vertex and front have the same amount of hair loss or u have overall diffuse thinning. Which is why propecia works best for diffuse thinners.

Overall it might give an illusion of working on the hairline as u start to see improvements.